Thread: Wilson off waivers?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Wilson off waivers?

Do I pick Wilson off waivers?

I have first priority for waivers but would have to drop Theodore who is healthy on my IR and Haula.

Also have to waste the roster spot for the duration of the suspension which impacts multiple matchups.

The upside though is that Wilson is super valuable in our league (fantasy hockey geek has him as 10th ranked skater).

Thoughts appreciated, will rep.

Thanks
    12 Team, Weekly H2H w/ Daily Lineups, Keep 5

[SIZE=1]Scoring: PLAYER: G, A, PIM, PP, Hit, Blk, FoW, SOG GOALIE: Save, W, GAA, S%
    Positions - 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 5D, 2G, 5 Bench, 3 IR

C: Eriksson Ek, Eichel, Hischier, McTavish (LW)
    LW: Jenner(C), Kane, Johnston (C,RW), Lafreniere (RW)
    RW: A. Svechnikov (L), Cozens (RW), Byfield (C,LW), Hathaway, McCarron
    D: McAvoy, Nurse, Werenski, Seeler, Faber
    G: Shesterkin, Saros, Skinner

​2017-18 and 2019/20 Champion, 2nd place 2023-34, 3rd place 2015-16, 16-17 , 18-19, 20-21

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Wilson off waivers?

In an H2H league with playoffs, I'd go for it. As long as he doesn't get suspended near the end of the season, he'll give you a massive boost for playoffs.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I am trying to figure out the same thing right now. Drop him for 17 games and hope no one picks him up? or have a roster spot taken up by him for 20 games.
    12 Team H2H 5 Keepers (1 1998 born or earlier)
    (G,A, FOW, PIM ,PPP, SOG, HIT,BLK,W, GAA, SV%)
    2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 2 Util

C Norris, Ek, Zegaras (LW), Lindholm (RW)

LW DeBrincat (RW), Robertson, Marchessault (C), Miller (C)

RW Svechnikov, Point (C), Garland (LW)

D Hedman,Chabot, DeAngelo, Karlsson, Letang
    G Markstrom, Sorokin
    IR
    Eichel

Dobber Sports Veteran

Interesting question re: waivers. Depending on league/bench size (and stat categories obviously), I definitely think it's worth stashing Wilson. 20 games is a hefty suspension. But that means you should still get 50 or so games out of him -- plenty for him to be super useful over the second two thirds of the fantasy season and playoff push in a head to head format.

Now, the question of whether you use waiver priority on him is an interesting one. And I think it depends on why he's on waivers in the first place.

--Was he drafted and the team that had him got frustrated and dropped him upon news of (or the anticipation of) the suspension?

--Was he not drafted? And if not, has he just been languishing on the wire while all this plays out?

If the answer to the former is "yes" (that is, he was drafted and dropped), then yeah I think using waiver priority to get him is worthwhile.
    But if the answer to the latter is "yes" (that is, people in your league were spooked off from drafting/picking him up given the prospect of a looming suspension), then I don't think I'd use waiver priority to get him.

In that latter scenario, it seems to me quite likely that you'd be able to save your waiver priority and pick him up as a free agent once waivers runs. If your league mates were too spooked to draft/pick him up before the suspension was handed down, I doubt that news of 20 games will be viewed as a sigh of relief and cause people to race out and grab him (rather than thinking they can wait 10 or so games before being the first to think of stashing).

The waiting game can be a dangerous one to play. But it struck me in this case given my surprise that he's available at all in light of his signifiant value in a multi-cat format.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    Interesting question re: waivers. Depending on league/bench size (and stat categories obviously), I definitely think it's worth stashing Wilson. 20 games is a hefty suspension. But that means you should still get 50 or so games out of him -- plenty for him to be super useful over the second two thirds of the fantasy season and playoff push in a head to head format.

Now, the question of whether you use waiver priority on him is an interesting one. And I think it depends on why he's on waivers in the first place.

--Was he drafted and the team that had him got frustrated and dropped him upon news of (or the anticipation of) the suspension?

--Was he not drafted? And if not, has he just been languishing on the wire while all this plays out?

If the answer to the former is "yes" (that is, he was drafted and dropped), then yeah I think using waiver priority to get him is worthwhile.
    But if the answer to the latter is "yes" (that is, people in your league were spooked off from drafting/picking him up given the prospect of a looming suspension), then I don't think I'd use waiver priority to get him.

In that latter scenario, it seems to me quite likely that you'd be able to save your waiver priority and pick him up as a free agent once waivers runs. If your league mates were too spooked to draft/pick him up before the suspension was handed down, I doubt that news of 20 games will be viewed as a sigh of relief and cause people to race out and grab him (rather than thinking they can wait 10 or so games before being the first to think of stashing).

The waiting game can be a dangerous one to play. But it struck me in this case given my surprise that he's available at all in light of his signifiant value in a multi-cat format.
    He was drafted 82nd overall in a keep 5 (changing to keep 7 this year) and the owner dropped him as soon as the suspension was announced.

Dobber Sports Stud

Everyone in the league will be licking their chops waiting for the chance to pick him up near the end of his suspension.

I would probably wait until he passes the 10-12 game mark and try to pick him up with 8 games remaining on his suspension. Then it only hurts you for 2 and a half weeks instead of a month +

In most leagues I play in, people WILL be trying to gauge when the safest time to pick him up is and curse you for picking him up with 2 weeks+ remaining on his suspension because most do not want to sacrifice a skater spot that long.
    #1 Yahoo Keep 5, 14 teams
    C, C, RW, LW, F, F, D, D, D, Uti, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FOW~W, L, GAA, Sv%, saves, SO

McDavid C
    , Kadri C, Zibanejad C, Mackinnon C, Boldy LW/RW, Backlund C, Duchene C/RW, Fantilli C, Batherson LW/RW, Forsberg LW, Zegras C IR, Mintyukov D, Dunn D, Seider D, Hellebucyk G, Kochetkov, Bobrovsky G

Dobber Sports Veteran

The question is it is worth it to drop 2 players to get a player that will be a dead weight for 2 months. If you think that your team is good enough to compete with one less player(you can use that spot for daily transactions) then go for it. On the other hand when Wilson is back he could help you a lot. btw in a 12 team league there should be some good players for PIMs and hits that aren't that far from Wilson' numbers.
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by J0e Th0rnton View Post
    Everyone in the league will be licking their chops waiting for the chance to pick him up near the end of his suspension.

I would probably wait until he passes the 10-12 game mark and try to pick him up with 8 games remaining on his suspension. Then it only hurts you for 2 and a half weeks instead of a month +

In most leagues I play in, people WILL be trying to gauge when the safest time to pick him up is and curse you for picking him up with 2 weeks+ remaining on his suspension because most do not want to sacrifice a skater spot that long.
    I picked him up last week. Already in 1st in my league by a large margin so I figured I could sacrifice the spot for 2 weeks and take the hit to get the return.

Now he is coming back a week early So I picked him up right on target lol

Any league that counts hits and PIM's put him at a very high demand
    #1 Yahoo Keep 5, 14 teams
    C, C, RW, LW, F, F, D, D, D, Uti, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FOW~W, L, GAA, Sv%, saves, SO

McDavid C
    , Kadri C, Zibanejad C, Mackinnon C, Boldy LW/RW, Backlund C, Duchene C/RW, Fantilli C, Batherson LW/RW, Forsberg LW, Zegras C IR, Mintyukov D, Dunn D, Seider D, Hellebucyk G, Kochetkov, Bobrovsky G

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I would pick him up for sure. Guy fills hits and pims
    14 team head to head, 7 keepers
    G, A, PPP, HITS, PIM, +/-, GWG, W, L, SO, SV%
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2 Utility, 2G, 4 bench, 1IR+
    F - Matthews, Marner, McDavid, Debrincat, Thomas, Jeannot, Vilardi, Zegras, Guentzel, Zibanejad
    D - Dahlin, Bouchard, Lauzon, Durzi,. Chychrun
    G - Samsonov, Gustavsson, Askarov

16 team head to head, 15 keepers
    G, A, PPP, SOG, Hit, Block, W, GAA, SV, SV%
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 1F, 4D, 1 Utility, 2G
    F - McDavid, Tavares, Kucherov, Meier, Duchene, Foerster P. Kane, Pastrnak, R. Smith, Forsberg, Poitras, W. Johnston

D - Josi, Reilly, Faber, Matheson, Nemec,
    G - Vasilevskiy, Merzlikins, Vladar, Cossa