Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Thread: TRUMP

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: TRUMP

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    With all respect, this I think unjustifiably lets the Democratic party and the Clinton campaign off the hook for a number of really inexcusable failures including, among others:

1) The DNC directly undermining and alienating voters in their own party by actively favoring Clinton over Sanders (or at least appearing to) during the primary process;
    2) The DNC and Clinton doing a miserable job in the aftermath of the primary process of bridging the gap with disheartened Bernie supporters, with reports at the time suggesting that some (many?) were so disillusioned by the process that they vowed not to vote at all in the general election or to vote for Trump (who, at least at the time, was seen as a greater catalyst for change in national politics -- which, it appears, is what many voters at both poles of the political spectrum were truly after);
    3) The Clinton campaign badly misjudging the true battleground states, focusing far too much campaign effort on Florida, Ohio and North Carolina (none of which she really needed to win, and none of which she ultimately did win) to the neglect of traditionally democrat stronghold midwestern, yet struggling rustbelt states that she ultimately lost (such as Wisconsin, Michigan and nearly Minnesota); and
    4) Simply failing to connect with more rural, blue-collar workers even in places that had been reliably "blue" for quite some time, like Pennsylvania.

In other words, I think there were many reasons behind Trump's shocking victory. Pinning it all on illicit outside influence and interference, I fear, dismisses too easily many of the reasons that firmly were (and, in the future, still are) within the control of those at the helm who can and should do/know better. Without facing and owning up to those failures, the chances of continuing to misread broad segments of the electorate and misfire in national election cycles are increased.

Just my two cents.
    Between this, and the (what I think) large amount of people who didn't/still don't want to come forward and admit that they did in fact vote for trump because of fear of backlash from "the left".
    16 Team - Keep 5 - H2H Points
    Start: 2C/2LW/2RW/4D/2G - 4Bench
    G/A(1.25) STP(1.5) GWG(3) SOG(0.25) H(0.2) Blks(0.25) +/-(0.25) PIM(0.1) FOW(0.1)

C: Malkin, Kopitar, Hartman, Johansen
    LW: Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Barbashev (C)
    RW: Rust, Mangiapane (LW), Rodrigues (LW)
    D: DeAngelo, Karlsson, Faulk, Morrisey, Myers
    G: A. Forsberg, Price, Reimer, Holtby

Dobber Sports Titan

Trump is more worried about what Taylor Swift says about him than the hundreds of investigations against him.

"What the FBI says is Fake News! Oh Taylor Swift is supporting the other guys... well that's a legitimate threat, I like her music 25% less now"
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    t he makes a valid point about his divided country nonetheless. It started long ago... even before Obama for that matter.
    Ok. We agree to disagree on Trump, thats fine. But let me ask you this. Do you think Trump is actively trying to heal and unify the partisan divide that is destroying America?

In my opinion Trump has fanned the flames of partisanship and has ratcheted up the hate in America considerably. He does this of course to feed and satisfy his base. It is good for his polling numbers to keep his base angry and the country divided. Civil discourse in politics, with a genuine respect between both parties was still hanging on by a thread in 2008 when McCain ran against Obama. Here is a clip of politics as it should be. This is a wonderful example of healthy political discourse in action, focusing on what is best for America, as opposed to tearing the country apart with fear mongering and hate. Here is a prime example of the American political system still fighting for its decency in 2008 and McCain was leading the charge. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...uestions-video

Trump, however, recognized the ignorant anger and hate boiling under the surface in America and fanned it's flames to help him become POTUS. The seeds of a truly ugly partisanship that would pit neighbour against neighbour and family member against family member was there simmering beneath the surface to be watered, and Trump watered those seeds liberally.

I suppose some might say Trump was shrewd to recognize his chance to create an anger fuelled populist movement that would generate enough momentum to propel him into the oval office.

But at what cost to the soul of America?
    Last edited by Wonko; October 16, 2018 at 2:17 PM. Reason: Grammar. Hehe.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Wizard

I can't believe some people are actually believing Trump's lies. I guess the advice he got from his good friends Vladimir and Jong-un on how to control his citizens through the media have worked better than I thought they would.

Let's just hope his reign ends before free speech and free media are entirely banned from the US. I mean, that's clearly his ultimate goal. Control the media and you control what people think. He wants to make America more like Russia and North Korea because in those countries, no one questions the supreme leader.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I can't believe some people are actually believing Trump's lies. I guess the advice he got from his good friends Vladimir and Jong-un on how to control his citizens through the media have worked better than I thought they would.

Let's just hope his reign ends before free speech and free media are entirely banned from the US. I mean, that's clearly his ultimate goal. Control the media and you control what people think. He wants to make America more like Russia and North Korea because in those countries, no one questions the supreme leader.
    Thanos was right.

Dobber Sports Star

But is he improving the quality of life for his people? Sure seems like it.
    Sure he is increasing the quality of life for his people. Unless you are a member of the LGBT community, black, someone who is poor, somebody who needs medicare, a woman who needs an abortion, from any one of several countries that he is pissing off on a regular basis, or somebody who lives within 20 miles of an ocean, which is going to be underwater in the next couple of decades...

I may have missed a few groups of people who he really isn't helping the quality of life for.

Rylant

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Sure he is increasing the quality of life for his people. Unless you are a member of the LGBT community, black, someone who is poor, somebody who needs medicare, a woman who needs an abortion, from any one of several countries that he is pissing off on a regular basis, or somebody who lives within 20 miles of an ocean, which is going to be underwater in the next couple of decades...

I may have missed a few groups of people who he really isn't helping the quality of life for.

Rylant
    It would be a lot quicker to just mention the people who's quality of life he has actually increased.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    It would be a lot quicker to just mention the people who's quality of life he has actually increased.
    The top 5 percent of the country lol.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post

hahaha so true

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    True. Most Presidents do that though. Bush also comes to mind.

Dobber Sports Pro

Well, if there's any fire to that smoke, I guess we'll see. I tend to lean towards the witch hunt theory. People simply don't like him, perhaps justifiably, so he's an easy target and they go after him.
    In the meantime, the economy is soaring, people are safer, employment levels are the highest they've been for decades, the stock market is making people dream of retirement again...

Hmmmm.
    That sounds not too bad.

The way the media presents it (and the way some members in here present it), you'd think this is the worst POTUS in history.
    The results seem to say otherwise and nobody wants to talk about it, especially the Dems. "He either got lucky or the good numbers have nothing to do with him" is the general bs you read out there.
    And, of course, that's just people living in denial.

Now, from a personality perspective, or maybe even an ethical perspective (at times), he may very well be the worst POTUS in history.
    But is he improving the quality of life for his people? Sure seems like it.
    Current approval ratings, notwithstanding, he's still got a great shot at getting re-elected.

And the reason he keeps bringing up how divided the country was under Obama is because it WAS divided under Obama. People have short memories.
    The biased press spreads this nonsense about Trump starting this divided country, and then they blast him for question evasiveness when he tries to explain that he inherited a divided country... he didn't create it.
    For a guy who lies a lot, that is something he's actually telling the truth about. Now maybe nobody listens because he cries wolf too often, who knows, but he makes a valid point about his divided country nonetheless. It started long ago... even before Obama for that matter.
    Stock market is doing well, whoops it was fine before he took office. You said " he is improving the lives of his people" I guess if $20 bucks a week ( temporary of course) is worth the demise of our environment, elimination of reasonable health care for people and further elimination of the middle class, ok . Doesn't seem like a good deal to me. Oh yea and thanks for saving us from A North Korean nuke. Oh wait you pretty much created that crisis.

But overall what bothers me the most is he has no moral compass. He lies, takes no responsibility for anything, takes credit for every thing, and is a terrible example of a human being little own the POTUS.
    HTH Daily League, 8 teams, (goals, ppp, +/-, assists, SOG, W, GAA, SV%) keepers in Bold.

C (s3) EP40, ​Trocheck, Marchessault LW, Horvat

LW (s3) Johnny Hockey, Parise, Terivinen RW, Meier RW
    RW(s3) Wheeler C, Taresenko, Atkinson, Gallagher
    Until(s1)

D (s4) Carlson, Yandle, Jones, Trouba

G Dubnyk, Rittich, Markstrom, Binnington

IR Ehlers, Hall

Dobber Sports All-Star

Well, just be careful... I'm just asking people to try to stay objective.
    Within the fury of liberal partisanship, and SJW fever, stuff like this happens:

https://www.wweek.com/news/schools/2...oax-published/

(Don't get me wrong, on many levels, that is pure hilarity. But it's also very sad and a little scary.)
    That is funny. Can't imagine anyone taking it seriously.

They should do a study on 'Horsefaces' next.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Ah yes. Social Justice. That evil thing people are fighting for.

Dobber Sports Star

Earlier in this thread, both sides blamed the other for pigeonholing, simplification and exaggeration. Now, a few days later, you've both resorted to exactly that. Congrats, you're part of the problem.

Dobber Sports Pro

Well, just be careful... I'm just asking people to try to stay objective.
    Within the fury of liberal partisanship, and SJW fever, stuff like this happens:

https://www.wweek.com/news/schools/2...oax-published/

(Don't get me wrong, on many levels, that is pure hilarity. But it's also very sad and a little scary.)
    If anyone wants to have a fact based discussion on anything positive that Trump has done, since he has been in office, I am all ears.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice video. Doesn't really ad much to the conversation, but hopefully it filled a need for you.
    HTH Daily League, 8 teams, (goals, ppp, +/-, assists, SOG, W, GAA, SV%) keepers in Bold.

C (s3) EP40, ​Trocheck, Marchessault LW, Horvat

LW (s3) Johnny Hockey, Parise, Terivinen RW, Meier RW
    RW(s3) Wheeler C, Taresenko, Atkinson, Gallagher
    Until(s1)

D (s4) Carlson, Yandle, Jones, Trouba

G Dubnyk, Rittich, Markstrom, Binnington

IR Ehlers, Hall