Thread: Are these 4 D-men OK or would you rather have some of the others?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Are these 4 D-men OK or would you rather have some of the others?

Well, it's that time, and as usual...looking for some help please to assemble my team of 19F, 4D and 2 Rooks. Start with the D.
    I averaged out projections for the year by Dobber, Stuntman and NHL.com. Here's what I came up with from the best on down excluding the *restricted 12 shown below.
    Points only...G-1, A-1

EDIT...Which 4 of these would you guys want? JONES, AP, YANDLE, LETANG, OEL, Dumba, Hamilton, Buffy, Risto, Spurgeon, Ells, Suter, Gardiner, Sergachev, Werenski, Provorov
    EDIT #2. With Jones out 4-6 weeks, who would your top 4 be???
    Top 4....JONES, AP, YANDLE, LETANG. I'm questioning AP-and his new babies, Yandle (old but Panthers should have a more potent offence this year?) and Letang-his injuries.
    I should say, we are allowed a total of 6 "SWAPS" per year so if any of these guys underperform I could "SWAP" them for another D-man not on our restricted list from any NHL team.
    Also, we have an injury rule which allows us to replace an injured D-man (until he returns) with another D from his team and this is Not considered one of our 6 swaps. I.E. If Letang gets hurt I could swap in Schultz...Jones/Werenski etc.

Would you be OK with the top 4 guys above? Or would you replace one or more of them with any of the "others" listed below.

"Others"...I could put on my team if you think they warrant it...
    OEL, Dumba, Hamilton, Buffy, Risto, Spurgeon, Ells, Suter, Gardiner, Sergachev, Werenski, Provorov or anyone else you can think of not on the "RESTRICTED" list below.

This is a NON-Draft year long $$$ pool where many teams could have many of the same players.

Thanks very much for your thoughts! Will REP who I can.

Hope everyone has a great fantasy year.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *RESTRICTED...We are NOT allowed to put any of these D on our roster.
    Burns and Karlson-Sharks/ Hedman-Bolts/ Klingberg-Stars/ Reilly-Leafs/ Gostisbehere-Flyers/ Doughty-Kings/ Subban and Josi-Preds/ Krug-Bruins/ Barrie-Aves/ Carlson- Caps
    SOME POOL RULES. Points only (G-1, A-1). One year Hybrid Pool. 3 round draft with balance of roster selected from any undrafted NHLer.. 19F 4 D 2 Rooks SALARIES AND POSITIONS DO NOT MATTER (other than being a F or D). NO Inter-Team Trading, Bench or Minors. Our WAIVER WIRE is ANY player in the NHL who is not Drafted in our league's 3 round draft. Each manager gets 6 ADD/DROPS (TRADES) for the year...any player on roster can be TRADED for any unDrafted F/D/R from ANY NHL team. INJURY RULE "IR". A hurt player can be replaced by another F/D from HIS NHL team and this is NOT considered a trade.. Injured player can be put back on team any time.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Are these 4 D-men OK or would you rather have some of the others?

I don't see anyone that stands out as a better option than what you already have. Well..

one thing to consider - Injuries. If letang gets hurt you sub in Schultz as you said... but if you had say Suter - you would sub in Dumba? I like that sub option better.

I do prefer Letang's offensive pedigree better than Dumba/Suter - but the injury bug is a real threat. That's about the one swap I would consider, mainly to improve your injury replacement & give you better health initially.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'd be fine with those choices.

Jones is a no-brainer.

Yandle is only really useful as an offensive force so he should hit 50+ in his sleep on a team with that much firepower

If you can sub in Schultz for Letang when he gets hurt, then that's probably a good choice as well.

The only one I'd consider swapping out is AP. Not that the 54 points were a fluke, but I really think Matt Dumba will make another leap this year into the 55+ range. It's more of a hunch than anything, but I like the idea, especially if it separates you from the pack (many of whom will probably choose AP) a little bit.
    16 team league, keep 12 plus *4 1st/2nd year players (16 total)
    Points Only (w/ NHL salaries), start 8F/4D/1G
    Note: Defencemen receive 1 point per 45 mins of ice time (1-2 points per week, ~30-35 pts per season).

Forwards:
    L. Couture, F. Forsberg, T. Teravainen, O. Palat, C. Kreider, K. Hayes, *J. Guentzel, R. Rakell, *K. Labanc, B. Point, *C. Fischer
    Defense:
    *S. Theodore, S. Gostisbehere, *M. Matheson, J. Trouba
    Goalie:
    M. Murray

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thanks very much for taking the time guys. Good stuff to mull over before I have to submit my team in a few days.
    SOME POOL RULES. Points only (G-1, A-1). One year Hybrid Pool. 3 round draft with balance of roster selected from any undrafted NHLer.. 19F 4 D 2 Rooks SALARIES AND POSITIONS DO NOT MATTER (other than being a F or D). NO Inter-Team Trading, Bench or Minors. Our WAIVER WIRE is ANY player in the NHL who is not Drafted in our league's 3 round draft. Each manager gets 6 ADD/DROPS (TRADES) for the year...any player on roster can be TRADED for any unDrafted F/D/R from ANY NHL team. INJURY RULE "IR". A hurt player can be replaced by another F/D from HIS NHL team and this is NOT considered a trade.. Injured player can be put back on team any time.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Spleentastic View Post
    I'd be fine with those choices.

Jones is a no-brainer.

Yandle is only really useful as an offensive force so he should hit 50+ in his sleep on a team with that much firepower

If you can sub in Schultz for Letang when he gets hurt, then that's probably a good choice as well.

The only one I'd consider swapping out is AP. Not that the 54 points were a fluke, but I really think Matt Dumba will make another leap this year into the 55+ range. It's more of a hunch than anything, but I like the idea, especially if it separates you from the pack (many of whom will probably choose AP) a little bit.
    I like Dumba, and see a bright future for him. But I do not think he goes 50 plus this season. Last year injuries to Spurgeon and Suter gave his totals an added boost. Plus some good puck luck. It is possible of course, but I prefer AP even with the triplets. Just my two pennies.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Veteran

I would pick Hamilton, OEL or Rasmus over Yandle immediately but Im very low on Yandle for this year even on a points only format
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thanks Wonko. Appreciate you taking the time to reply. I didn't realize how steady AP has been over the last several years. Those kids worry me though.

j0hn, Thanks. Gut feeling on Yandle? He isn't as old as I thought (31-32) and been very steady.

Another of our rules is...if every franchise (15 this year) picks the same player (AP e.g.) he is cut from all our squads and we have to submit another name. I suspect we will have at least one unanimous this year...probably Jones.

I HAVE CHANGED MY QUESTION in the EDIT in my first post to..
    ...Which 4 of these guys would you want, Points only (G-1, A-1)...
    JONES, AP, YANDLE, LETANG, OEL, Dumba, Hamilton, Buffy, Risto, Spurgeon, Ells, Suter, Gardiner, Sergachev, Werenski, Provorov.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Jones was my one lock so far of the 4 D that I need. Him being out 4-6 weeks changes everything. Any suggestions as to who my 4 should be now??? Thanks

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by everfeb View Post
    Jones was my one lock so far of the 4 D that I need. Him being out 4-6 weeks changes everything. Any suggestions as to who my 4 should be now??? Thanks
    Could you still take him and replace him with Werenski while he's out? Jones is still the #1 guy by a mile and will still be immediately upon his return, but Werenski should fill in pretty nicely.
    16 team league, keep 12 plus *4 1st/2nd year players (16 total)
    Points Only (w/ NHL salaries), start 8F/4D/1G
    Note: Defencemen receive 1 point per 45 mins of ice time (1-2 points per week, ~30-35 pts per season).

Forwards:
    L. Couture, F. Forsberg, T. Teravainen, O. Palat, C. Kreider, K. Hayes, *J. Guentzel, R. Rakell, *K. Labanc, B. Point, *C. Fischer
    Defense:
    *S. Theodore, S. Gostisbehere, *M. Matheson, J. Trouba
    Goalie:
    M. Murray

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Spleentastic View Post
    Could you still take him and replace him with Werenski while he's out? Jones is still the #1 guy by a mile and will still be immediately upon his return, but Werenski should fill in pretty nicely.
    Thanks Spleentastic...Hadn't thought of that. Yes, I could put Jones on my roster...then SWAP Werenski in after Jones misses one regular season game...then put Jones back in after he returns. Dobber has Werenski rated as his 18th highest scoring D-man, not bad, ahead of AP, Yandle, Letang, Buf, Gardiner, Risto...LOL-ahead of 3 guys I've been thinking about putting on my team. Others though don't have Werenski rated near as high as Dobber. Werenski also coming off an injury. Think he's supposed to play his 1st pre-season game b4 my roster has to be submitted, so I can at least see if he is playing or not before I have to decide. Good idea. Will have to think this over. OEL is having a banner pre-season so far. Thanks again for thinking about this and taking the time to post.
    Sorry...can't REC you again...tried