Thread: Do you believe i could beat these teams with couple moves?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Do you believe i could beat these teams with couple moves?

I have been torn about if i should go for it or not this year. There are couple good names avaiable like crosby and quick and i think i have the assets for them. The problem is that big portion of my team is on ?wait and see? mode like Poolparty, Meier, Lehkonen, Eriksson EK. I should be a lot better next year as saros and demko are getting more starts and players like Borg, Mittelstadt, Necas, Tolvanen should get bigger roles in their teams.

I figured the main question is that will it become possible for me to beat the top teams in our league if i make couple moves? League info in Signature and here are the lineups to compare:

Mine:
    Marchessault - Trochek - Rantanen
    Aho - Backstrom - Palmieri
    Lucic - Point - Puljujujarvi
    Meier - Koivu - Kessel

Jones - Rielly
    Ristolainen - Dumba
    Colin Miller - Zadorov

Fleury - Saros
    on bench: Eriksson Ek - Dell
    1 free spot so i can cycle my farm players ( Mittelstadt, Tolvanen, Necas, Borgstrom, M.Subban, Demko, Juolevi) We can add and drop our drafted players unlimited times untill they reach 82 regular season nhl games played. We do have 3 goalie limit per team so i cant cycle subban and demko if i still have dell.

Top contender team A:
    Ehlers - Toews - Radulov
    Jenner - Getzlaf - Brown
    Dadonov - O?reilly - Rattie
    Domi - Patrick - Kovalchuk

Hedman - Parayko
    Provorov - Hamilton
    Letang - McAvoy

Andersen - Price
    Bench: Simmonds - Luongo - Czarnik
    no cycle prospects

Top contender team B:
    Marchand - Benn - Laine
    Kreider - Barzal - Tuch
    Guentzel - Monahan - DeBrincat
    Dubois - Kadri - Fischer

Karlsson - Muzzin
    Martinez - Matheson
    Skjei - Niskanen

Rask - Bishop
    bench: Lehner - Forbort - Bergeron

Top contender team C:
    Giroux - Kuznetsov - Wilson
    Skinner - Dubinsky - Pavelski
    Niederreiter - Zajac - Hornqvist
    Ejdsell - Boyle - Boeser

Larsson - Orlov
    Giordano - Engelland
    Suter - Klingberg

Raanta - Elliott
    Bench: Wheeler - Tarasenko - McElhinney

So how would you rank these teams? And do you believe i would stand a chance against these teams in playoffs if i made couple trades? Playoff spot looks very likely since my division has a lot of rebuilders.

The Great One

Default Re: Do you believe i could beat these teams with couple moves?

I think it's highly unlikely that you can beat all three of the listed teams without doing any other moves. But perhaps more importantly I'm not sure you get better than them in the normal course over the next two years. And sorry to be the bearer of still worse news, but I'm not sure you win if you go all in and make a trade for Crosby or Quick. So either you stand pat and hope it works out, or you try the move anyway. If I was you I'd stand pat and try to get better by making regular trades and FA moves, as perhaps you make up enough ground to best all three of the listed teams. Good luck either way.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    I think it's highly unlikely that you can beat all three of the listed teams without doing any other moves. But perhaps more importantly I'm not sure you get better than them in the normal course over the next two years. And sorry to be the bearer of still worse news, but I'm not sure you win if you go all in and make a trade for Crosby or Quick. So either you stand pat and hope it works out, or you try the move anyway. If I was you I'd stand pat and try to get better by making regular trades and FA moves, as perhaps you make up enough ground to best all three of the listed teams. Good luck either way.
    Thanks for your input. Im totally behind on points and on goalie cats but i dont im that far in peripherals and we have a lot of those! I actually already made a move. Got Kessel and lost Lehkonen + thompson + a pick. Now the obvious upgrade targets for me would be miller, eriksson ek and dell i guess..
    Yahoo Full keeper Dynasty League |20 Teams, 23 Roster spots 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 3BN
    Categories: G A +- PPP PIM FOW SOG HITS BLK | W SV GAA SV% SHO
    C - Crosby | Trocheck | Backstrom | Danault | Aho
    LW - Marchessault | Hertl
    | Fiala | Jost
    RW - Rantanen | Palmieri
    | Meier | Pavelski | Puljujarvi
    D - Ristolainen | Zadorov | C. Murphy
    | | Trouba | Edmundson | Giordano
    G -
    Fleury | Saros | Markström
    IR: Zucker
    Farm
    C - Borgstrom |
    Heponiemi | Hawryluk
    LW -
    RW - Tolvanen
    D - Juolevi
    G - Sorokin, Vehviläinen

Dobber Sports Sage

I'm a big believer in doing multiple incremental small win trades. Rather than going for a home run and giving up a ton for a Crosby or quick (I think it's unlikely either pushes you over the top this year). Make a goal of making 3 small win trades for yourself in the first few months of the season. If you can do 5-10 small win trades you can end up with a Crosby or quick type player for much less than it would have cost.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I think by the time your team catches up to Crosby and Quick, Crosby and Quick will be declining. Make small moves, be sharp on the free agency.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

So nobody believes i have a shot this year even if i upgrade miller dell and eriksson ek? 😓

Dobber Sports Star

Nobody can give you a good response unless you tell us the league setup.

Roster sizes and configuration (positions, starting slots, bench, IR), number of teams, daily/weekly starts, scoring setup, H2H fantasy points vs H2H categories vs season long fantasy points vs season long roto, etc etc. Without that you're just getting the other posters' intuition based on their own experience and league setups.

Just taking a gander at those rosters, I'm guessing this is a 12 team league but without roster setup and scoring categories there's no way to know if your team is good or not.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

any team has a shot. Just make the right moves. Its not like every team is going to be keeping the same players all season...
    10 Teams
    Keeper max 18 of 23 + 5 minors
    NHL Cap Hit
    G, A, SOG, HITS, BLKS, STP, FOW, Takeaways
    W, GAA, SV%, SO

C
    Eichel, Beniers, Trocheck, Fantilli, Staal, Glendening, Mittlestadt, Bjugstad

W
    B. Tkachuk, Pastrnak,
    Perfetti, Giroux, Byfield, Reinhart, Svechnikov, Quinn

D
    Lauzon, Schenn, Englund, Hakanpaa, Korchinski

G
    Sorokin, Ersson

Minors
    Wallstedt, Wolf, Jiricek

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    Nobody can give you a good response unless you tell us the league setup.

Roster sizes and configuration (positions, starting slots, bench, IR), number of teams, daily/weekly starts, scoring setup, H2H fantasy points vs H2H categories vs season long fantasy points vs season long roto, etc etc. Without that you're just getting the other posters' intuition based on their own experience and league setups.

Just taking a gander at those rosters, I'm guessing this is a 12 team league but without roster setup and scoring categories there's no way to know if your team is good or not.
    For some reason my signature has disappeared from my original post after one edit. our setup is 20 teams yahoo h2h cats league. Cats are: G/A/PPP/HITS/BLOCKS/PIM/+-/SOG/FW and for goalies WINS/GAA/SV%/Shutouts. We roster 23 players 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 3BN
    Yahoo Full keeper Dynasty League |20 Teams, 23 Roster spots 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 3BN
    | Fiala | Jost
    RW - Rantanen | Palmieri
    G -
    Farm
    C - Borgstrom |
    Heponiemi | Hawryluk
    LW -
    RW - Tolvanen
    D - Juolevi
    G - Sorokin, Vehviläinen

Dobber Sports Star

In a 20 team league you should definitely be competitive. As you say, you could make some moves to get more competitive by dealing Dell, Saros, Poolparty (best autocorrect ever!), Eriksson Ek, Borgstrom, Tolvanen, Mittelstadt, etc. Those guys are too young and have good name currency to upgrade your team to have more productive players. Now is the time to deal them, as when the reality of the season hits their value probably takes a bit of a perceived hit.

I love the idea of the farm stream, but with an 82 game farm eligibility cap you're much better off dishing those guys for more productive players.

Key places to upgrade are in net (you'll need three starters, which will likely be your biggest challenge), making sure you've got FOW from the wing, and obviously getting your bench deep on D.

Strategy-wise, I'd recommend completely punting the categories that everyone always fights for (G, A, PPP) and focus on the ones they think they can mitigate from the waiver wire. Your scoring format is tilted away from scoring, so exploit that silliness.

G A+-PPPPIM FOW SOG HITS BLK | W SV GAA SV%SHO

Red highlight means ignore. Green means focus. Blue means omit from your thinking because it's low-event and this has weekly matchups.

If you focus on goalie volume and grit, you have a legit shot at a title. You should have plenty of name currency to move for those assets. Your shopping list looks like this:

Two goalies that will play 50+ games each. (This will be the hardest thing to find)
    Tom Wilson
    Darnell Nurse
    Byfuglien
    Evander Kane
    Jamie Benn
    Adam Larsson
    Provorov
    Dubois

Get the theme? If you can tweak your team accordingly, you've got a very legit shot here.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    In a 20 team league you should definitely be competitive. As you say, you could make some moves to get more competitive by dealing Dell, Saros, Poolparty (best autocorrect ever!), Eriksson Ek, Borgstrom, Tolvanen, Mittelstadt, etc. Those guys are too young and have good name currency to upgrade your team to have more productive players. Now is the time to deal them, as when the reality of the season hits their value probably takes a bit of a perceived hit.

I love the idea of the farm stream, but with an 82 game farm eligibility cap you're much better off dishing those guys for more productive players.

Key places to upgrade are in net (you'll need three starters, which will likely be your biggest challenge), making sure you've got FOW from the wing, and obviously getting your bench deep on D.

Strategy-wise, I'd recommend completely punting the categories that everyone always fights for (G, A, PPP) and focus on the ones they think they can mitigate from the waiver wire. Your scoring format is tilted away from scoring, so exploit that silliness.

G A+-PPPPIM FOW SOG HITS BLK | W SV GAA SV%SHO

Red highlight means ignore. Green means focus. Blue means omit from your thinking because it's low-event and this has weekly matchups.

If you focus on goalie volume and grit, you have a legit shot at a title. You should have plenty of name currency to move for those assets. Your shopping list looks like this:

Two goalies that will play 50+ games each. (This will be the hardest thing to find)
    Tom Wilson
    Darnell Nurse
    Byfuglien
    Evander Kane
    Jamie Benn
    Adam Larsson
    Provorov
    Dubois

Get the theme? If you can tweak your team accordingly, you've got a very legit shot here.

Thanks for long answer full of great advice! Most of the guys you mentioned are owned by my biggest competitors but i get the point and try to improve on peripherals!
    | Fiala | Jost
    RW - Rantanen | Palmieri
    G -
    Farm