Thread: I Screwed Up - Convince Me It Isn?t Too Bad

Big Daddy

Default I Screwed Up - Convince Me It Isn?t Too Bad

So I run a hockey pool with some friends, live draft at a bar. Very simple rules as most of them are casual hockey fans. It is more to get out and have some beers. Anyways, here is what happened.

Scoring is;
    Goals - 5 pts
    Assists - 3 pts
    PPP - 1 pt
    Shootout Goal - 1 pt
    Win - 5 pts
    Shutout - 3 pts

Draft;
    11 F
    4 D
    2 G

Points only. Max moves per season is only 3.

I had the first overall pick and took McDavid. Heavy emphasis towards goals so I had targeted guys like Ovechkin, Laine, Seguin, Matthews, Tavares, Stamkos etc.

Keep in mind that I am running this so I don?t get to put my full attention into my team as I am updating the draft board after every pick.

So at the tail end of round 2, Erik Karlsson is selected two picks before my turn, on the turn. For some strange reason this made me panic and I quickly made my back-to-back selections without any thought at all and took Hedman and Burns because I wanted at least one elite D. The big problem with this move is that both Laine and Seguin were still available. A major screw up on my part. I could have had McDavid, Laine and Seguin with my first three picks in a goal heavy league but instead I was destracted and made a panic move. I?ve been kicking myself in the arse every since.

I know this is really bad but can anyone convince me it isn?t as bad as I?m making it out to be? Here is the rest of my roster...

Forwards
    Connor McDavid
    Aleksander Barkov
    Artemi Panarin
    Richard Rakell
    Brayden Point
    Nicolaj Ehlers
    Kyle Connor
    Clayton Keller
    Sean Monahan
    Mike Hoffman
    Evgeny Dadonov

Defence
    Victor Hedman
    Brent Burns
    Ryan Pulock
    Noah Hanifin

Goalies
    John Gibson
    Devan Dubnyk

So how bad was my hiccup and how does my team look overall? This is a 9 team league.
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: I Screwed Up - Convince Me It Isn?t Too Bad

Did you get out and have some beers? If so, all is well.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Did you get out and have some beers? If so, all is well.
    I had far too many actually.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd probably rather have Seguin and Laine but it doesn't seem egregious.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Burns will give you 30+ goals this year... so really you're just down the 30 between Laine & Hedman. In a 9 team league, there's plenty of room to get goal heavy players in the latter rounds or off the wire. I mean if they actually set Burns up on the far wall where Ovie's made a living - 30 should be a given with EK feeding him from everywhere
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

It’s not that bad. Burns and one of Laine/Seguin seems like a better choice. Hedman will give you +- 15 goals and +-65pts, there’s not a lot of D who will give you that ! So , it’s not the end of the world.
    League 1
    10 team, Dynasty, points only, 30 players, keep20 starts 12 F, 6 D, 2G , unlimited prospects(can keep them max 5 years)
    F: Mackinnon,Marner, Panarin, Eichel, Fiala, Hughes, Svechnikov, Robertson, Bratt, Kuznetsov, Hischier, B.Tkachuk, M.Tkachuk, Scheifele, Wheeler, Jenner, Drouin, Tatar, Colton
    D:Hughes, Hamilton, Karlsson, Dunn, Burns, Theodore, Slavin, Trouba G: Shesterkin, Binnington, Vanecek
    League2
    Cap league (82.5M with AAV), points only, 12 teams, keep 7, (9F, 4D, 2G)
    F: Hughes, Zuccarello,RNH, Marchessault, Scheifele, Toffoli, O’Reilly, Trocheck, Buchnevich extra: Marchenko
    D: Makar, Dahlin, Seider, Andersson
    G: Hellebuyck, Talbot

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Your "oopsie" netted you 2 of the 3 consensus top defenders in fantasy, and you start 4 D. I'd say it's not a problem at all, unless you had crappy beer.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

One of each might have been better but your fine. Maine Herman if you're going for longevity or burns Seguin if you want to push hard out the gate. Your other picks we're solid. G are fine with a deep strong bench at forward- your high end defense is an asset. My only con arm here is your choice of excuses. Try upgrading "I have to post the selections as the commissioner and that made me panic" to something vaguely plausible like " My dogs in heat and aggressively urinated on my laptop as a show of dominant e". Otherwise I think you're fine...