Thread: Petr Mrazek

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Petr Mrazek

Where did Mrazek take a turn in his projection as a #1 goaltender and heir to Howard's net in Detroit? Moving to Philly I figured they had found the perfect buy low goalie and would replace Neuvirth (buying him out with all his injuries).

So now he has been passed over for an up and down aging Howard and couldn't make an impression on a team desperate for goaltending.

Landing in Carolina seems like that "too good to be true" situation again. Darling failed to impress last season and the door is open for Mrazek to impress. I've read that he's worked on his technique and placement in net rather than relying solely on athleticism.

At only 26 does he still have the ability to be a #1 goaltender? Or will he be a journeyman backup type for the rest of his NHL days?
    14T dynasty
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    W, SV%, SO, GAA, SVS

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Petr Mrazek

I own him in one dynasty league and hoped the trade to philly was going to be the magic bullet that helped resurrect his career too .

I suppose on the bright side , an NHL team has given him an opportunity on a ''prove myself'' one year deal . Maybe the canes goalie coaches can work with him on some flaws and he rebounds back into what he was in the past .

Dubnyk was left for dead at one point , Grubauer stole the job from Holts for awhile last season....so you really never know .

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Mrazek in Carolina is definitely worth a gamble.. Carolina is up and coming and they need a goalie they can count on.. Mrazek has the chance to be that guy..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I really like Mrazek's talent, and was hoping getting out of Detroit to Philly was what would get him to return to form, but he seems to need more adjustment time. Sadly, as he's better than either Elliott or Neuvirth, I think, and the Flyers needed a shot in the arm. He helped them make the playoffs, but not by much.

The starter's job in Carolina is wide open, and he could seize it. However, that means he'd get a raise next year, and might move on again - which would be dumb for him. I do think he's a safe bet to get 30+ starts, barring injury.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Lindros88 View Post
    Where did Mrazek take a turn in his projection as a #1 goaltender and heir to Howard's net in Detroit? Moving to Philly I figured they had found the perfect buy low goalie and would replace Neuvirth (buying him out with all his injuries).

So now he has been passed over for an up and down aging Howard and couldn't make an impression on a team desperate for goaltending.

Landing in Carolina seems like that "too good to be true" situation again. Darling failed to impress last season and the door is open for Mrazek to impress. I've read that he's worked on his technique and placement in net rather than relying solely on athleticism.

At only 26 does he still have the ability to be a #1 goaltender? Or will he be a journeyman backup type for the rest of his NHL days?
    When his headcasedness swelled his head to the point the mask put pressure on his brain and blurred his vision - making stopping the puck more difficult.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

I think if he was going to be a good goalie it would've already happened by now. That being said, Carolina is a good fit for him and there's certainly a chance he rounds into form. I just wouldn't bank on it.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Administrator

Goaltending is more mental than physical. ALL goalies go through insane ups and downs, even the elite guys. In Mrazek's case he has some strong years under his belt so there is upside here. I just have a hard time believing he'll get back to that level in Carolina. Momentum is not on his side and it's not like this team was able to make their other recent goalies look great either (Ward, Darling).

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Apprentice

There was a two-year period where he was one of the top 5v5 goaltenders. There was also a piece written on Dobber a few years ago on goalies who hit high save percentages early in their careers, something like .920 or higher over considerable time before the age of 25... and how that leads to better goaltending careers. Mrazek is one of the few who have done that. He's been just as good in Detroit as he's been bad. His time in Philly is too small a sample to indicate much of anything for a goalie, in my opinion. He just has to get back to where he was circa the 2015-16 season. Definitely possible for him to rebound, it's not like he is 32 and on the back nine of his career.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Mrazek in Carolina is definitely worth a gamble.. Carolina is up and coming and they need a goalie they can count on.. Mrazek has the chance to be that guy..
    Didn't people think that about him in Philly?

I wouldn't touch him with a 10 ft pole until he can prove any form of consistency. I'm dubious it happens in Carolina.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."