Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sometimes You Have to Go For It

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Sometimes You Have to Go For It

After winning twice in a row in the salary cap league, my team came in 4th place last year. The silver lining is that it allowed me to grab a bunch of blue chippers at the end of the year. Well now I have cashed almost all of them in to take a huge run at the championship this year.

It started with trading Kaprizov to get rid of Luo and free up serious cap space. Next a three way trade landed me Rinne. Then comes one of the biggest trades I have made. I gave up: Saros (potential beast in net on a cheap contract), Necas, Donato and Sanheim to land 2 rentals: Panarin and Pavelski along with Thomas Chabot and the 9th overall pick in the draft this year. The pick will get me potentially a mid prospect, but it is the rentals I wanted. I only have 35k in cap space on a 79.5 million max.

Basically I am surprised that the normally vocal GMs of the league haven't trashed the trade as lopsided and ridiculous. Instead it is silence. I take this as it was one of those trades that worked for both teams. The other team got a haul for the future and I got wingers I desperately needed for a push for the cup this year, as well as a Dman that can help in the event of an injury. And then of course I read the new Dobber Rambling tonight and Necas and Donato are listed as potential Calder candidates.

So is this just seizing the window that I feel that is open to me this year? I have a lot of UFAs : OEL, Patches, Kucherov, Couture, Rinne, Panarin, Pavelski...
    Or did I go too hard? It just feels like when you CAN win you gotta do everything to TRY and win.

Anyone else out there sold a bunch of future to win now?
    Salary Cap League - 13 Teams
    Cap: 83.5 Million
    Roster: 2 LW, 2 RW, 2 C, 2 Wing, 1 Forward, 4 D, 1 G, 5 Bench, 7 Farm
    Cats: PTS 1, PIMS 0.1, Blocked Shots 0.1, hits 0.1; Wins, Goals Against(-), SO, Saves

C: Crosby, Pavelski
    F: Mercer
    LW: Guentzel, Kaprizov
    RW: Kucherov, Marchessault
    W: E. Kane, Perron
    D: Q Hughes, Bouchard, Addison, Sandin
    G: Shesterkin
    Bench: Raanta, Rossi, Guhle, Garland

Farm: Soderstrom

Free Agents: Maccelli, Newhook, Gudas, Carrier, Kyrou, Gustafsson

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Sometimes You Have to Go For It

I sell my future to try and win now every single year.

The only seasons that exist in fantasy hockey are this season and next season. Anything further in the future is an illusion.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    I sell my future to try and win now every single year.

The only seasons that exist in fantasy hockey are this season and next season. Anything further in the future is an illusion.
    Most GM's are too afraid to go this route but I respect it!! You have to go for it when you have the chance.. Rebuilding is fun but only if it is a full rebuild.. Finishing middle of the pack is the worst.. Go for it, I commend you!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Star

I never think beyond 2-3 years, with the exception of a Crosby or a McDavid type. Some leagues don't even last that long. Being an Islander fan, looking towards next year has been a 30 year drought, so I've had my fill of that. LOL If you have an opportunity to win you go for it, even if it stings a little.

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Suzuki
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg,
    Konecny(L/R)
    R-Hyman(L/R), Svechnikov(L/R), P. Kane
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Ya I think is easy to get stuck into that forever building mode, trying to get the perfect team of prospects to come together. It is the mix of young and old that win the championships. Glad to see there are others that swing for the fences instead of waiting for conditions to be perfect.
    Salary Cap League - 13 Teams
    Cap: 83.5 Million
    Roster: 2 LW, 2 RW, 2 C, 2 Wing, 1 Forward, 4 D, 1 G, 5 Bench, 7 Farm
    Cats: PTS 1, PIMS 0.1, Blocked Shots 0.1, hits 0.1; Wins, Goals Against(-), SO, Saves

C: Crosby, Pavelski
    F: Mercer
    LW: Guentzel, Kaprizov
    RW: Kucherov, Marchessault
    W: E. Kane, Perron
    D: Q Hughes, Bouchard, Addison, Sandin
    G: Shesterkin
    Bench: Raanta, Rossi, Guhle, Garland

Farm: Soderstrom

Free Agents: Maccelli, Newhook, Gudas, Carrier, Kyrou, Gustafsson

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by horseflyhab View Post
    Ya I think is easy to get stuck into that forever building mode, trying to get the perfect team of prospects to come together. It is the mix of young and old that win the championships. Glad to see there are others that swing for the fences instead of waiting for conditions to be perfect.
    A lot of people enjoy playing fantasy hockey and just owning the young shiney names moreso then actually winning their leagues. To each their own I always say. It's all what you like.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Every year I make changes to my squad to make it better and to aim to make the playoffs/win the title. I don't understand how people can join a league to "rebuild" or "be competitive in 3 years". I guess some people like collecting rookies and losing each year. To me that's a waste of time and money.

Any team can win a title. It's just a matter of retooling your squad to fix the weaker areas. That's done by trades and being active on the free agency.

Nice moves. You should have a solid year!

Dobber Sports Ninja

I find it important that my fantasy squad gel as a unit. Don't underestimate chemistry. Your team captain sets the tone for your fantasy team. I have a strict no facial hair rule and will trade anyone who breaks it.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    I find it important that my fantasy squad gel as a unit. Don't underestimate chemistry. Your team captain sets the tone for your fantasy team. I have a strict no facial hair rule and will trade anyone who breaks it.
    LOL

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Suzuki
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg,
    Konecny(L/R)
    R-Hyman(L/R), Svechnikov(L/R), P. Kane
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill
    IR
    -Demko

The Great One

I traded McDavid in his rookie year in the two leagues I owned him. I have five out of six possible titles. One team that is still stacked, and one middling team (which is the worst place to be). I'm with the others: to me a rebuild is thinking 1 year down the line. Otherwise, go for it.

Dobber Sports Master

I just completed a trade involving McDavid. Ovechkin, Malkin and Burns for McDavid. Could not pass that one up. I think it has won me the league even before it starts. Yer not in it to own the most valuable players, you are in it to own the players with the most fantasy points.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    haha love it. I have a rule where I will only roster a % of American players on my squad.
    10 Teams
    Keeper max 18 of 23 + 5 minors
    NHL Cap Hit
    G, A, SOG, HITS, BLKS, STP, FOW, Takeaways
    W, GAA, SV%, SO

C
    Eichel, Beniers, Trocheck, Fantilli, Staal, Glendening, Mittlestadt, Bjugstad

W
    B. Tkachuk, Pastrnak,
    Perfetti, Giroux, Byfield, Reinhart, Svechnikov, Quinn

D
    Lauzon, Schenn, Englund, Hakanpaa, Korchinski

G
    Sorokin, Ersson

Minors
    Wallstedt, Wolf, Jiricek

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Starvin Marvin View Post
    haha love it. I have a rule where I will only roster a % of American players on my squad.
    As a big Habs fan I have a rule to always have at least one Hab on my team. Patches has always done me well, but now he is in Vegas.
    I traded for Price and he shat the bed and is too expensive to keep.
    Looks like my hopes now lay with Mete!!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

So I definitely went for it. Instead of drafting a prospect at 9th overall I drafted Rattie.
    I am all in!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I drafted some 9 year old Japanese kid from youtube in my deep keeper league, The comment section was very positive and the video name said he was the next Conner and we know the internet is ALWAAAAAYS right! Glad I scopped him before the other GM's. I figured my 2028 season should be solid.
    10 Team Yahoo Roto Keeper:Keep 6 each year
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G, 5BN

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SO

Keepers in Bold:

RW: Kucherov
    G: Helly