Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Any of these guys jump out as the best option?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Any of these guys jump out as the best option?

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Where have you been watching him play against lower level competition? He's been playing pro hockey at a high level for over a year now. It's the fifth best league in the world. How is that lower level competition?

Have you watched any of his games from the current season? The chemistry with Heponiemi is unbelievable. This is the first time he's playing with someone who can process the game as well as he does. It's difficult to play well with linemates if they can't think the game at the same level.
    Lower level comp would be against many of the weaker international squads. He can stand out there. He also played Junior for part of last season. Haven't checked out any of his games so far this year, but I have a fairly large sample size with Kupari, so I don't see there being a radical shift in my thoughts on him baring any significant growth.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rd69 View Post
    I'd go Kupari, O'Brien, Berggren, Marchenko, and Lundestrom.
    I agree with this but I'd put Lundestrom ahead of Marchenko. Other then that, looks good.

Kupari is the best one in that group though. OB and Berggren are damn close though. The more I think about it, I think I'd flip them too.

Kupari
    Berggren
    O'Brien
    Lundestrom
    Marchenko
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

I would love to see someone explaining how any of those guys have a higher upside than Kupari. A couple of guys are close to him but higher? I haven't seen it.
    they are all lottery tickets, you like Kupari more, i prefer to take a chance on Berggren...at this point its all opinions...
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Right now, I'm trying to move up a bit in round 3 to get another guy from this list. We'll see if I can pull it off.

I was torn between Kupari & Berggren, decided on Kupari. He had a surprising bit of bonus value. His Elite Prospects main page picture makes him look like he's 12, made me chuckle.

I looked back at the prior prospect drafts for this team, and they are seemingly not that good after the first round. There are guys on my roster who got there via prospect draft who were 7th round NHL picks. I find that odd; I'd expect a 60 player draft to basically pick from prospects drafted in rounds 1-3, maybe 4. Is that wrong?
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Right now, I'm trying to move up a bit in round 3 to get another guy from this list. We'll see if I can pull it off.

I was torn between Kupari & Berggren, decided on Kupari. He had a surprising bit of bonus value. His Elite Prospects main page picture makes him look like he's 12, made me chuckle.

I looked back at the prior prospect drafts for this team, and they are seemingly not that good after the first round. There are guys on my roster who got there via prospect draft who were 7th round NHL picks. I find that odd; I'd expect a 60 player draft to basically pick from prospects drafted in rounds 1-3, maybe 4. Is that wrong?
    Smart move taking Kupari. Some people will have big regrets not taking him. I know I'm already regretting not getting him in any of my leagues.

Yes, I would definitely focus on rounds 1-3 from the current draft class. Your prospect draft would need to be deeper to focus on later rounds. There are some late round picks who deserve consideration a year after, though. Drake Batherson, Lucas Elvenes, Tyler Steenbergen and Cayden Primeau are names that come to mind.

If you get another pick, I would be looking at Berggren, Noel, Lundestrom, Hallander, Marchenko and O'Brien probably in that order but they're all good prospects in a similar range, so positions could come into play. Lundestrom will likely be a center. Noel and Marchenko are pure wingers (Marchenko has played both wings). Berggren and Hallander have played center and wing in the past but will likely become wingers, and both have played both wings in the past. O'Brien was drafted as a center but will likely end up being a winger as well.

I'm not a big fan of Lundestrom's offensive upside but he's close to playing in the NHL and the safest option of them all, and that has some value in fantasy hockey. Pretty much all others are longer term projects (2-3 years at least before they play in the NHL whereas Lundestrom is likely just a year away).

A little update:

1.05 F Filip Zadina
    1.09 D Evan Bouchard
    2.05 I traded back giving this and 4.08 for 2.08 and 3.08 (missed out on Bokk, Kaut, Merkley from 2.05 through 2.07)
    2.08 F Rasmus Kupari
    3.05 F Serron Noel
    3.08 coming soon

Will post the draft in the draft summary thread once get through round 3. I couldn't rep all of you at once, working my through.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Padawan

His size? He's 6-foot-1. He's not small. His effort level?

I do wonder what kind of sources you're using for your research. But if you had used Dobber's Fantasy Prospect Report
    Well dobber prospects site has him as 5?11 and 163.

What sites do I research with? Type his name into google and I probably read it.

Again not trying to act like an expert but it?s not like I?m making things up, there is no shortage of people pointing it his lack of size and inconsistency in profiles ahead of the draft. I have not seen him and am not claiming a position if auhthority here

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopo View Post
    Well dobber prospects site has him as 5?11 and 163.

What sites do I research with? Type his name into google and I probably read it.

Again not trying to act like an expert but it?s not like I?m making things up, there is no shortage of people pointing it his lack of size and inconsistency in profiles ahead of the draft. I have not seen him and am not claiming a position if auhthority here
    Not sure where you checked because his DobberProspects profile has him at 6-1, 189. https://dobberprospects.com/player/rasmus-kupari/

It's good to remember that many 'experts' who write about prospects to forums, blogs and websites haven't actually watched those prospects outside of maybe the WJC if they happened to play there. Anyone with an Internet connection can claim to be a prospect expert and write about players they've never even seen. That's why it's good to use reliable sources. For example, if you want reliable information about the size of prospects, check out some site that has their official measures from the draft combine. Here's one: https://thehockeywriters.com/2018-nh...ights-weights/

It's also good to remember that most 17-year-olds playing in high level pro leagues have issues with consistency. Maybe 1% of them don't have those issues. A lot of people don't understand how to evaluate prospects playing in high level pro leagues. It's completely different from junior leagues, and North Americans are not used to it because their teenagers only play junior hockey (unless they're good enough to play in the NHL). NHL scouts know and understand the difference which is why every summer there are people wondering why this and this European kid got drafted so high - most Internet scouts just haven't actually watched them outside of couple of short international tournaments at best.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Is Kupari hitting all these prephirals to be considered to best of this bunch? I respect J-P so much so I’m confused as to why Kupari is the way to go in this format. I don’t see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    Is Kupari hitting all these prephirals to be considered to best of this bunch? I respect J-P so much so I’m confused as to why Kupari is the way to go in this format. I don’t see it.
    For me (the OP) it came down to what the various voices thought, and where they were drafted. I think the first thing to remember is that these are all opinions for players who are along way away. I see little minor league hockey, we did have a local team here but the Aston/Philadelphia Rebels moved. I get to couple Lehigh Valley Phantoms games a year, but that's the AHL, and AHL -> NHL translation isn't nearly as hard as drafted rookies.
    I am looking into the possible availability of Phantoms games on TV, though.

If this was minor league baseball we were discussing, I'd have something meaningful to say about a couple of MLB teams' systems from observation, and even an independent league.

With this league, its seems like the peripherals are a bit muted with 3 scoring categories (G, A, Pts) plus SOG. So there are only 2 skater cats of "peripherals" in PIM & Blocks + Hits. PIM are hard to predict, and I generally figure most Europeans are going to play a more fluid international style game with less fighting & truculence. So I plan to get my PIM from known sources, unless there's a scorer propsect he has a serious edge to his game -hello there, Serron Noel.

Part of what makes this site great is the abundance of opinions.

Dobber Sports Padawan

"Not sure where you checked because his DobberProspects profile has him at 6-1, 189"

I googled "Rasmus Kupari Dobber" and this is what I got. It's the second result; the first is a table that also links this. It's still there showing 163 and 5'11"

https://dobberprospects.com/rasmus-kupari/

"It's good to remember that many 'experts' who write about prospects to forums, blogs and websites haven't actually watched those prospects"

absolutely, but it's all most of us have got. They also seem to all dip into the same source -- a lot of repetition. i think most of them probably subscribe to the same few scouting sites. The Canucks Army one is the one that seems to put in a ton of original work and they quite liked him, but so many others gave me doubts
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopo View Post
    "Not sure where you checked because his DobberProspects profile has him at 6-1, 189"

I googled "Rasmus Kupari Dobber" and this is what I got. It's the second result; the first is a table that also links this. It's still there showing 163 and 5'11"

https://dobberprospects.com/rasmus-kupari/

"It's good to remember that many 'experts' who write about prospects to forums, blogs and websites haven't actually watched those prospects"

absolutely, but it's all most of us have got. They also seem to all dip into the same source -- a lot of repetition. i think most of them probably subscribe to the same few scouting sites. The Canucks Army one is the one that seems to put in a ton of original work and they quite liked him, but so many others gave me doubts
    That link you provided is not valid anymore. I have now removed that outdated page, so thanks for pointing that out. If you click the link you provided, it will now redirect you to the correct page. For up-to-date information, I suggest going directly to the DobberProspects website.

Yes, often time when someone writes something about a prospect (whether it's true or false), others start repeating the same things. So sometimes you just need one person who doesn't like a prospect based on one game he happened to saw, and suddenly dozens of people start disliking him, and pretty soon it starts to look like no one likes him. I've seen this happen many times. It takes guts to go against the grain but the ones who are truly confident with their own scouting work are not afraid to say what they think regardless of what others think.