Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any of these guys jump out as the best option?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Any of these guys jump out as the best option?

This is my first hockey deep prospect draft, and we're in round 2. Multi-cat league: G, A, Pts, PIM, SOG, Hits+Blocks.

Already have grabbed Zadina & Bouchard, and my team needs more help at forward, I feel. Looking at the NHL draft and some ranking, it's looks like this is the next tier or two, alphabetically:

Berggren
    Hallander
    Kupari
    Lundstrom
    Marchenko
    Noel
    O'Brien
    Oloffson
    Wise

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Any of these guys jump out as the best option?

Kupari pretty easily from those options.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Berggren is the one I would want out of that group.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Kupari
    Berggren
    O'Brien
    Marchenko
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

JP knows his prospects, I agree with him on Kupari!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Wizard

I think Kupari is the safe option, but if you want to roll dice on possible stud ill take Berggren
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Kupari

Dobber Sports Padawan

With Zadina and Bouchard locked up, I might take a bit of a swing-for-the-fences approach at this point in a prospects draft. Give me Marchenko or Wise I guess
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Wizard

I would love to see someone explaining how any of those guys have a higher upside than Kupari. A couple of guys are close to him but higher? I haven't seen it.

Dobber Sports Sage

Take Kupari, he will be playing RW for the Kings soon.
    If Noel is there for your next pick you know what to do.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I would love to see someone explaining how any of those guys have a higher upside than Kupari. A couple of guys are close to him but higher? I haven't seen it.
    I am no expert and don?t claim to be. When I was doing my fantasy draft research this year I just heard enough about his size and effort level that I didn?t feel confident he?d have a good chance of hitting his upside. I haven?t seen anything beyond highlight videos for most players
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'd go Kupari, O'Brien, Berggren, Marchenko, and Lundestrom.
    12 Team Keeper League, 28 Player Roster

G, A, PTS, +/-, PPG, SHG, GWG, PPA, HT, GHHT
    W, GA, SV, SHO

C: Barkov, Barzal, Dubois, Point
    LW: Fiala, Guentzel, Huberdeau, Svechnikov
    RW: Ehlers, Kyrou,​S. Reinhart, Tomasino
    D: Bouchard, Ekblad, Makar, R. Merkley, Rielly, Theodore
    Bench: K. Johnson, Harley
    Minors: Johnston, McTavish, Clarke
    G: Saros, Thompson

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopo View Post
    I am no expert and don?t claim to be. When I was doing my fantasy draft research this year I just heard enough about his size and effort level that I didn?t feel confident he?d have a good chance of hitting his upside. I haven?t seen anything beyond highlight videos for most players
    His size? He's 6-foot-1. He's not small. His effort level? He's a hard-working kid. I haven't heard any criticism about that, and I haven't seen any issues on the ice either.

Kupari was one of the few prospects in his draft class with the tools to become a number one center one day. He may end up being more of a number two and may even switch to wing at some point but everything is pointing towards him being a top-six forward at the NHL level. He's having a breakout season in the Liiga - it's only been a couple of games so far but based on what he's done in preseason and at the Champions Hockey League as well, it's easy to see it's happening. Next summer, people will be wondering how they let him slip through their fingers when they had the chance to draft him.

I do wonder what kind of sources you're using for your research. But if you had used Dobber's Fantasy Prospect Report, you would have seen things like this:
    One of the top centers available, Kupari is one of the highest skilled players and puck handlers. Skating is also an asset as he is speedy and shifty with a quick first step. -- Kupari needs some more development time but has top-six offensive upside.
    (Please notice that even though I contributed to the Prospect Report, Kupari's profile was not written by me.)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I don't really get all the Kupari hype. He's definitely one of the top skaters in his class, and has good hands as well, but he just does not think the game of hockey well. More often than not he seems to use his positive attributes to put himself (and the puck) into an unrecoverable situation. He can certainly dazzle occasionally, especially against lower level competition, but his ability to process the game stunts the application of his tools as time and space decrease. He doesn't pick spots well, and generally does not show much awareness of his teammates.

This isn't to say he can't be an NHLer, but I think his offensive upside is limited; I don't see a top six player, best case scenario I can imagine would be a 3rd line checker who flashes skill, but ultimately will be frustrating for fans.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Hoochie Coochie Man View Post
    I don't really get all the Kupari hype. He's definitely one of the top skaters in his class, and has good hands as well, but he just does not think the game of hockey well. More often than not he seems to use his positive attributes to put himself (and the puck) into an unrecoverable situation. He can certainly dazzle occasionally, especially against lower level competition, but his ability to process the game stunts the application of his tools as time and space decrease. He doesn't pick spots well, and generally does not show much awareness of his teammates.

This isn't to say he can't be an NHLer, but I think his offensive upside is limited; I don't see a top six player, best case scenario I can imagine would be a 3rd line checker who flashes skill, but ultimately will be frustrating for fans.
    Where have you been watching him play against lower level competition? He's been playing pro hockey at a high level for over a year now. It's the fifth best league in the world. How is that lower level competition?

Have you watched any of his games from the current season? The chemistry with Heponiemi is unbelievable. This is the first time he's playing with someone who can process the game as well as he does. It's difficult to play well with linemates if they can't think the game at the same level.