Thread: What Would You Do....URGENT Keeper League HELP Needed!

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default What Would You Do....URGENT Keeper League HELP Needed!

Hi Guys,

I'm in great need of some advice this morning!

I am in a keeper league where forwards and defensemen goals and assists are each worth 1 point and goalie wins worth 2 points and shutouts a bonus 3 points.

The pickle I'm in is this Saturday Sept 22nd I have to declare my 12 keepers before the following Saturday's draft we will be having on Sept 29th. I have already posted a message to other hockey pool managers I'm open to a trade idea because I have one too many great potential keeper players already on my team, but I'm not getting much response from 7 other managers at all in our league. Just a few nibbles here and there of a single draft pick.

Here is the list of my notable forwards I can and should protect on my team as part of my 12 keepers:
    1. N. Kucherov, TAM, F
    2. N. MacKinnon, COL, F
    3. B. Marchand, BOS, F
    4. C. Giroux, PHI, F
    5. P. Kessel, PIT, F
    6. E. Kuznetsov, WAS, F
    7. L. Draisaitl, EDM, F
    8. J. Benn, DAL, F
    9. V. Tarasenko, STL, F

Here is the list of notable defencemen I can and should protect on my team as part of my 12 keepers:
    1. B. Burns, SAN, D
    2. J. Klingberg, DAL, D
    3. T. Krug, BOS, D
    Keep in mind I already have Thomas Chabot OTT and Charlie McAvoy on my farm team already and each manager in this league needs to have 6 defensemen in pool at start of season so i will need to draft at least 1 maybe 2 guys.

Only decent goalie I have worth protecting is Braden Holtby WASH. My other two Roberto Luongo FLA and Grubauer COL are not worth a protecting in my stated 12 keepers. I will just need to be smart and get two decent goalies at draft.

So my question to you........Do I not lose one of my forwards basically for nothing or do I keep all 9 forward and expose somebody like Torey Krug who will get gobbled up in 1st five picks of draft probably.

Thanks for your help keeper team managers ASAP!

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: What Would You Do....URGENT Keeper League HELP Needed!

I had a very similar problem in my keeper league this year. We keep 11. 3 guys from my team last year went in the first 7 picks of the re-draft. It stings but that's part of icing a competitive team.

Unfortunately, I think you need to keep Krug here with your D requirements which means losing a top F. Damn that's a hard group to cut someone from though. Honestly, I probably just trade one of Giroux, Draisatl, Benn or Tank for whoever gives me the best return even if it's just a draft pick. Better than losing someone for nothing.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

The Great One

Trading your worst F for a single draft pick is better than cutting him for nothing...

Dobber Sports Ace

I agree, selling low is better than getting nothing but I also suspect in a league that shallow those GM's are aware that they can just do nothing and get something for free. Good luck.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think the you need to keep those 3 Dmen like the others have said. One thing I would consider when deciding if you should release or trade a valuable asset is the potential impact to the team you trade to. What I mean by this is if you decided to trade one of your fwds for a draft pick how much do you improve the team he gets traded to and will that team be direct competition for you in the upcoming season. In my league the top teams who are forced to cut elite players will only trade for picks to the bottom teams as they don't want to improve the other top teams.
    12 team Keeper League.
    25 man roster, 5 man bench, 2 prospects, keep 9. Must ice 4D, 1 Goalie
    Skaters 1pt G/A,
    Goalies .05pts per save, 1pts SO, .75pts per win -.25 for GA

Forwards
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Eichel, Backstrom, Svechnikov, Stone, Meier, Perron, Voracek, Wilson, Pearson, Vrana, E. Stall, Pajeau

Defence
    Hedman, Klingberg, Letang, Yandle

Goalie
    Bobrovsky

Bench
    Ritchie (G), Zucker, Guentzel, Neal, Ekblad (D)

Prospects
    Zegras, Kaprisov

Dobber Sports Sage

I'd look to trade Tarasenko. Points only with no goal bonus his name value likely out paces his actual value. That said if you can get a better return on Benn or Kessel id have no problem moving them and keeping tank (I'm assuming forward positions don't matter as you have them all listed as F rather than by position, if positions matter then things change).

I think you need to keep Holtby and your d men. You've got a great team there.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Rookie

Thanks very much for your thoughts above guys. Much appreciated! I will let you know in a couple days how it all turned out.

Any new people have thoughts more then welcome to post below. Cheers!

Dobber Sports Master

One of Kessell/Giroux/Kuz/Draisaitl/Draisaitl for a 2nd round pick. You get to keep Holtby this way. The trade for you would be one of those guys for Holtby and a 2nd. Offering a player like that is more likely to get a bite.

Your problem is that everyone is in the same boat. A guy was offereing me Schultz for a 3rd round pick in 2019. Problem is I would have to drop Krecji to make the deal so it didn't make sense.

Dobber Sports Rookie

So I ended up trading Tarasenko to another up and comer manager for a 2nd round draft pick

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by gravemitch View Post
    So I ended up trading Tarasenko to another up and comer manager for a 2nd round draft pick
    Problem solved and you still have strong keepers...well done.

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Suzuki
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg,
    Konecny(L/R)
    R-Hyman(L/R), Svechnikov(L/R), P. Kane
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill
    IR
    -Demko