Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ilya Mikheyev

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Ilya Mikheyev

So Mikheyev's KHL contract expires at the end of the month and all indications point to him coming to North America. Igor Eronko and Darren Dreger have both narrowed the list of teams expected to possibly sign him as Toronto, Vegas, or Chicago. We may have a decision announced this weekend. In the meantime, a Leafs fan put together this article with some video. Who is Ilya Mikheyev?

Igor Eronko@IgorEronko
    Hearing #TMLtalk is among the few remaining teams closing in on Ilya Mikheyev, 24yo speedy versatile RW. No agreement in place yet
    Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger
    Accurate. Leafs have been chasing this guy for awhile. As @IgorEronko has previously reported, Vegas in the mix and I believe, Chicago as well. Majority of NHL teams have shown interest. Decision this weekend.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Marner's replacement? (I kid I kid!!)
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Veteran

Well all right.

We'll see what Dubas does over the summer moving forwards but if Kapanen or Brown are moved Mikheyev could benefit greatly. One positive to him signing with the Leafs despite appearances of a lack of spot for him, Bob McKenzie insinuated that it was Babcock who scouted and recruited Mikheyev to come to Toronto.
    Ilya Mikheyev signed with Toronto Maple Leafs. #WeAreGoldStar

Administrator

Underrated signing. They can't keep everyone so they'll need new guys coming in on cheaper deals and contributing to make it work.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Ilya Mikheyev has moved to second in the KHL scoring race behind Nigel Dawes.
    This is what makes me nervous about taking a risk on a KHL player. You see names like Nigel Dawes, Mikhail Grigorenko, Linus Omark, etc, etc.... that are leading the team in scoring. These guys couldn't cut it in the NHL but they are league leaders in the KHL. I find it hard to trust those numbers as a result.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    This is what makes me nervous about taking a risk on a KHL player. You see names like Nigel Dawes, Mikhail Grigorenko, Linus Omark, etc, etc.... that are leading the team in scoring. These guys couldn't cut it in the NHL but they are league leaders in the KHL. I find it hard to trust those numbers as a result.
    Dawes played in the clutch/grab era as a small player.
    I'd love to see him come back. I bet he's one that would make an impact

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    On the flip side there's no reason to be nervous because they didn't give anything other than one of their 50 contract spots. Mikheyev might not be the answer but they have to try.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    On the flip side there's no reason to be nervous because they didn't give anything other than one of their 50 contract spots. Mikheyev might not be the answer but they have to try.
    Totally... not to mention their track record with signing KHL/European players the last 4 years -
    Soshnikov, Oshigenov, Zaitsev, Lindholm, Rosen, Borgman -

they've all seen the NHL
    No homeruns by any stretch.

but compare to 5th, 6th, 7th round draft picks and the odds of those picks becoming NHL players?

If you make contact often enough.....