Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Commissioner Decision - please weigh in

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Commissioner Decision - please weigh in

From one commish to another, well done in sticking to your guns. I can see why they wanted you to take over the commish role, your post was well presented. I also, love reading the comments - some great replies guys.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Padawan

Absolutely stick to your guns. A deadline is a deadline -- black and white. I can't even believe anyone is questioning it. In my league, that GM would just be getting chirped hard for making a stupid decision and allowing the commissioner to pick up a stud for free. I'd honestly consider sharing this thread with them.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Rookie

You all don't know how much you've done for my mental health. So much needed validation lol
    Even those who disagreed here did it with a level of competence and maturity I haven't dealt with much in the last few days.

Thanks!!!

Dobber Sports Expert

Just a little anecdote: Many years past, in my keeper league, the commish erred with respect to my team. I honestly cannot remember the specifics, but the draft had started before the error was caught. To be fair, the effect of the error was with respect to a a low level player or pick. Even so, when the error was caught, he looked at me, shrugged his shoulders, and said "what do you want me to do about it?". It was a rhetorical question, not a call for advice. I let it go and moved on with my life. No ill will. Mistakes happen, and he is a friend. It's called being an adult, a trait your league members ought to acquire.
    13 team Keeper, top 8F, 4D and 2G count. 1pt G/A, 2pt W/SO.
    Protect up to 500 points in a full season
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

F: Draisaitl, Thompson, Thomas, Zuccarello, Konecny, Marchessault Ehlers, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Perron, Coronato, Seguin, Atkinson, Rossi, Michkov
    D: Q Fox, Sergachev, Dobson, York, Hutson
    G: Vasilevsky, Jarry, Levi

Dobber Sports Padawan

I think you have all your bases covered and made the right decisions, aka played by the rules. With great power comes great responsibility.... lol

The easy / nice thing to do would be to accept the blunder, but now you enter a huge grey area for every future transaction. In fact the 'didn't think it would be a big deal' comments would solidify that the rules should be upheld. It wasn't a straight up error / IT issue..... My kid jumped on my phone when I was in the washroom... etc. They didn't even try to make an excuse which you could have given them the benefit of the doubt for.
    and YES, that Stamkos issue is completely irrelevant.

You could offer a league vote on the matter, but say that it has to be unanimous, and that you won't vote. Otherwise the strict wording of the rules will apply. This shifts the theoretical blame to anyone who caused the vote to fail from not being unanimous, and demonstrates that the difference of opinions exists throughout the whole league. I have a suspicion that a unanimous vote would fail.

Worst case scenario you get Marner so that's not too bad. I would be tempted to resign as commissioner after such a fiasco though if the vote tactic didn't work and people wouldn't lay off.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Seeds of Grapes View Post
    Just a little anecdote: Many years past, in my keeper league, the commish erred with respect to my team. I honestly cannot remember the specifics, but the draft had started before the error was caught. To be fair, the effect of the error was with respect to a a low level player or pick. Even so, when the error was caught, he looked at me, shrugged his shoulders, and said "what do you want me to do about it?". It was a rhetorical question, not a call for advice. I let it go and moved on with my life. No ill will. Mistakes happen, and he is a friend. It's called being an adult, a trait your league members ought to acquire.
    Exactly my experience as well. We all like to give the commissioner a hard time but its all in good fun.
    In my longest standing keeper league we just found out that due to a spreadsheet error the commissioner had been paying out more money then he had been taking in for years, leaving him with an out of pocket loss. A good commissioner who cares is hard to find, don't sell yourself short because your leaguemates are getting sour over rules. Without the rules you have no game!