Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Commissioner Decision - please weigh in

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Commissioner Decision - please weigh in

Quote Originally Posted by wonko View Post
    In reality it could be more difficult than this. Friendships may even be at stake. People get pretty worked up over their fantasy teams. As a fellow commish of two fantasy hockey leagues I have seen first hand how batshit crazy some people can get. I explain things to them as politely as possible and then I give them time to cool off. If they continue to wallow and wail I usually am forced to just tell them if they don't like it they can leave the league. Some owner have left. Others have come around.
    Everything you've said here is true - but it might be a larger wake up call if things are getting bad. If someone is that passionate about their fantasy hockey team and a $100 buy-in that they are willing to sacrifice friendships, they should be aware of the rules and deadlines and be on top of them. I'm not sure I would consider them real friends to begin with if that's the case.

From what you've said, you've taken on the role of commish after some kind of defacto nomination (ie: no one else would do it), and those very people are now up in arms because you are fulfilling that role. It's likely costing you way too much time, energy and stress dealing with this (feels like you're in grade 8, doesn't it?) so if you want my 2 cents, make a final statement and decision on the matter, tell them that's your final word as commissioner. Don't respond if people want to continue, just tell them the matter is resolved and you have nothing left to say on it. If people leave, then find decent replacements (vet them a bit first for hockey IQ and commitment). Or leave the league yourself if it's looking like a lost cause.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Pro

This is the problem with being a Commish, is you think everyone is adults but when something doesn't go their way they all act like children haha. Tell him to grow up, Marner is still awesome, and the decision stands. They should all know the rules if you have all done it for a while.
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'm a commish of several leagues of various sports. For some reason hockey is the most intense haha Its insane how passionate everyone gets over this sport.

If the rules were laid out and everyone knew about the rules before things started to unfold, then it's that managers fault, not yours. But if a bunch of the mangers are fine with the manager switching his keeper, then hold a vote? I hold votes/polls constantly though out the season. Some rules I'm a hard ass on, others I'm more lenient. Its finding a balance to keep various types of personalities happy.
    10 Teams
    Keeper max 18 of 23 + 5 minors
    NHL Cap Hit
    G, A, SOG, HITS, BLKS, STP, FOW, Takeaways
    W, GAA, SV%, SO

C
    Eichel, Beniers, Trocheck, Fantilli, Staal, Glendening, Mittlestadt, Bjugstad

W
    B. Tkachuk, Pastrnak,
    Perfetti, Giroux, Byfield, Reinhart, Svechnikov, Quinn

D
    Lauzon, Schenn, Englund, Hakanpaa, Korchinski

G
    Sorokin, Ersson

Minors
    Wallstedt, Wolf, Jiricek

Dobber Sports Genius

You laid out the rules with dates and times. Then double confirmed with everyone. It seems pretty cut and dry to me. The three players chosen before the deadline are the players chosen.

Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    - Our keeper deadline was this Saturday. Everyone had to pick 3 keepers.

- I posted all the rules for keeper deadlines on the main page of our league. Including a Saturday at midnight deadline

- I also personally messaged each GM to make sure they knew the deadline.

- It's a $100 buy in with 12 GMs and is meant to be competitive.

- One GM chose Tavares, Andersen, and Marner. A few hours later that GM messaged me to change his selection from Marner to Seguin. I asked the GM why he wanted to make the change. It wasn't like he clicked the wrong button by mistake, or didn't understand the process. He just straight up changed his mind.!
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    Thanks for everyone's response.

A couple details I didn't include:
    - This is all among suppoedly close friends
    - It's a $100 buy in with 12 GMs and is meant to be competitive.

Oh and I already made all these arguments and posted everything I did out in the open but that's basically what invited everyone to give their two cents which devolved into chaos.
    There is no reason for chaos other than people are salty because someone made a dumb decision and you get to reap the benefits. Also, since as you claim it's a competitive league I expect all kinds of uproar for everything that doesn't benefit them individually. Get used to it.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

As all have said being commissioner is a thankless job. However when you post the rules, give guys warnings and lead time then there is no reason for a do over. You have made the correct decision and have had the integrity to stick to your guns.

At least the GM?s with the Stamkos trade did everything right to make sure their keepers were correct given the timing of their trade. It?s obvious the Seguin owner has been told he was a fool to keep Marner in place of Seguin.

Sometimes when a GM makes homer decisions it sucks to be him.
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett, Couturier, Zacha
    LW: Draisaitl-C, Stutzle-C, Kaprizov, E.Kane
    RW: Marner I/R,T.Thompson-C, Necas-C, Nichushkin
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Gudas, Romanov, KA Miller
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson, Woll, Allen
    4 weekly minimum start’s required
    I/R: Sergachev

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Administrator

Definitely agree with the importance of keeping GMs in the know about everything. You can have the greatest rules page in the world and in all likelihood half your GMs won't read and will do everything on the fly. You have to beat them over the head with the important dates and deadlines coming up. That's just the way it is.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think you're right here, and you should stick to your guns. If there was an error, that'd be one thing - but this is "I changed my mind", which doesn't fly very far.

I'd suggest that something more than verbal confirmation come in the future with a player who is being traded becomes a keeper.

Honestly, I've been thrust into being a commish in a work league because the prior co-commissioners couldn't get along and one left the office on horrific terms (quit via a letter left on bosses' desk after hours on a Friday) which led to the other guy getting a chunk of his workload.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Administrator

There's something about the combination of money, people connected IRL and transactions that leads to trouble. I gave this some thought and my most successful pools with people close to me were either a box pool with money (ie no transactions after the pool is submitted) or a simple enough Yahoo roto with daily transactions and no money. Those leagues avoided pretty much all drama. Meanwhile I keep seeing examples of the three being involved and the shit hits the fan.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    There's something about the combination of money, people connected IRL and transactions that leads to trouble. I gave this some thought and my most successful pools with people close to me were either a box pool with money (ie no transactions after the pool is submitted) or a simple enough Yahoo roto with daily transactions and no money. Those leagues avoided pretty much all drama. Meanwhile I keep seeing examples of the three being involved and the shit hits the fan.
    ^ absolutely

Even in free leagues with friends stuff can go south especially over player value in a trade. Ours is a pretty basic pts only, no $$$$ and still guys get their shorts in a knot if they miss out on a trade and feel they offered better players.
    You just can’t remove that alpha dog mentality no matter how much “this is just for fun” you try and insert.
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett, Couturier, Zacha
    LW: Draisaitl-C, Stutzle-C, Kaprizov, E.Kane
    RW: Marner I/R,T.Thompson-C, Necas-C, Nichushkin
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Gudas, Romanov, KA Miller
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson, Woll, Allen
    4 weekly minimum start’s required
    I/R: Sergachev

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Dobber Sports Padawan

Lay down the law man your the commissioner, what you say goes.

Dobber Sports Expert

The issue here is not about the deadline.If someone missed the deadline, I imagine you would have sent him/her reminders, and allowed a late submission (at least I would). In this case, however, the deadline was met, and then the owner changed his mind. He also changed his mind "hours later" and after he had the opportunity to see and assess everyone else's keepers. If you allowed him to make a change on this basis, it would be grossly unfair.
    13 team Keeper, top 8F, 4D and 2G count. 1pt G/A, 2pt W/SO.
    Protect up to 500 points in a full season
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

F: Draisaitl, Thompson, Thomas, Zuccarello, Konecny, Marchessault Ehlers, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Perron, Coronato, Seguin, Atkinson, Rossi, Michkov
    D: Q Fox, Sergachev, Dobson, York, Hutson
    G: Vasilevsky, Jarry, Levi

Dobber Sports All-Star

Not sure how long he had to decide on this 3 keepers but i'm sure he had plenty of time.

Seems bizarre to me that there would be such an uproar over this. It is what it is. EVERY league has deadlines so would they have complained in other leagues? Probably, and they would get the same response they got from you.

Dobber Sports Initiate

tough shit for them. That's why they made you the commissioner - to make the decisions.
    ---------
    12 team ESPN H2H
    auction draft (260 budget)
    limited keeper (4 keepers)
    2016-17 Champion, 2017-18 Runner-up
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW
    W,SO,GAA,SV%
    Start 1 LW/C/RW, 3 D, 3 Util, 2 G

C - Eichel, Hischier,
    LW -
    RW -
    D - Hamilton,
    G - Hellebuyck

Packer Fan

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

A rule is a rule.. We all need to respect the rules in all our leagues.. I would however draft Seguin amd then offer him to this GM for Marner.. You can always make the deal a 2 for 2 deal.. It does suck being commish and having to enforce rules, but you don't want everyone quitting on you either!! I commend you on enforcing your rules..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..