Thread: Pick 6 keepers for this year (REP!)

Dobber Sports Ace

Question Pick 6 keepers for this year (REP!)

I'm having a hard time figuring out who my keepers should be in the #5 and #6 spot. Thoughts? Will gladly rep any responses - thanks in advance!

I'm super tempted to abandon all my goalies and go with Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin/E.Karlsson/Giroux/Voracek, but Voracek is primarily just assists and I know I should probably take Murray over him. There's also Talbot and Klingberg to consider. What do you do if you're in my shoes?

Roster & settings in sig.

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Pick 6 keepers for this year (REP!)

Your league looks a lot like mine in terms of size and keepers. In that situation I would definitely try to move someone for a pick, or two players for a better player. Tough to let one of those skaters go. I also think you could get something for Talbot too. But you also don't want to sell them off for low picks and hurt your chances of getting some of them back in the first/second round.

If push comes to shove I think I'd let Voracek go for Murray. You need to enter the draft with some certainty in net, otherwise it could be a situation where there's huge pressure on you to pick goalies before you want/need to. With the offensive firepower you already have it's not a huge sacrifice.

Also worth asking, what pick do you have in the first round and do you think you could get a top goalie with your first pick?

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Pro

Crosby
    Ovi
    Malkin
    Karlsson
    Giroux
    Murray
    League 1
    10 team, Dynasty, points only, 30 players, keep20 starts 12 F, 6 D, 2G , unlimited prospects(can keep them max 5 years)
    F: Mackinnon,Marner, Panarin, Eichel, Fiala, Hughes, Svechnikov, Robertson, Bratt, Kuznetsov, Hischier, B.Tkachuk, M.Tkachuk, Scheifele, Wheeler, Jenner, Drouin, Tatar, Colton
    D:Hughes, Hamilton, Karlsson, Dunn, Burns, Theodore, Slavin, Trouba G: Shesterkin, Binnington, Vanecek
    League2
    Cap league (82.5M with AAV), points only, 12 teams, keep 7, (9F, 4D, 2G)
    F: Hughes, Zuccarello,RNH, Marchessault, Scheifele, Toffoli, O’Reilly, Trocheck, Buchnevich extra: Marchenko
    D: Makar, Dahlin, Seider, Andersson
    G: Hellebuyck, Talbot

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Dover View Post
    Crosby
    Ovi
    Malkin
    Karlsson
    Giroux
    Murray
    I concur. Murray in for Voracek, and Klingberg is a tough but necessary omission given your other options.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    I concur. Murray in for Voracek, and Klingberg is a tough but necessary omission given your other options.
    I have to agree with the others... in a keeper league like this its great having at least one goalie so you dont have to press for one too early in the draft. I would maybe try and see what a murray/voracek combo could get me as a step up goalie...

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I like Dover's list. Be nice to keep Saros too but I guess you can't really wait for futures with that few keepers.

McDavid/Necas/ Kucherov/Bjorkstrand/Rust/Nugent Hopkins/Cirelli/Zegras/- Letang/Morrissey/Dahlin - Swayman/Saros/Skinner

Prospects include:
    McTavish/Clarke/Bordeleau
    Dumais/Korchinski/Hutson

Don't worry I'm not going to say anything more than I have to. If that.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    Your league looks a lot like mine in terms of size and keepers. In that situation I would definitely try to move someone for a pick, or two players for a better player. Tough to let one of those skaters go. I also think you could get something for Talbot too. But you also don't want to sell them off for low picks and hurt your chances of getting some of them back in the first/second round.
    Quote Originally Posted by happypg View Post
    I would maybe try and see what a murray/voracek combo could get me as a step up goalie...
    Thanks - I wish I could package guys together for an upgrade, but unfortunately in our format the only trades allowed in the offseason are 1-for-1 keeper-for-keeper deals. You're not allowed to package players, sell players for picks, etc. Those types of deals are only allowed after the draft and before the trade deadline. I'm going to have to throw the valuable pieces I leave behind into the draft (likely Voracek, Klingberg, Talbot are all going to be left out). It's kind of a frustrating rule, but it's designed to help re-balance the league.

Dobber Sports Ace

If push comes to shove I think I'd let Voracek go for Murray. You need to enter the draft with some certainty in net, otherwise it could be a situation where there's huge pressure on you to pick goalies before you want/need to. With the offensive firepower you already have it's not a huge sacrifice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dover View Post
    Crosby
    Ovi
    Malkin
    Karlsson
    Giroux
    Murray
    Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by happypg View Post
    I have to agree with the others... in a keeper league like this its great having at least one goalie so you dont have to press for one too early in the draft.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gretzky99Orr4 View Post
    I like Dover's list. Be nice to keep Saros too but I guess you can't really wait for futures with that few keepers.
    Thanks gang. I think this is the direction I'm going to take. It's tough throwing Voracek back, but I feel like there's too much emphasis on goalie stats to take a big risk there. That said, I'm pretty confident I can roll the dice on a #2 goalie with a late pick. There are always huge opportunities in net via the waiver wire as injuries happen, up-and-comers get rolling, etc. I'm a lot more active than most other GMs in my league, so I feel pretty confident I'll be able to jump on whoever the surprise standouts turn out to be this year.

Dobber Sports Ace

Also worth asking, what pick do you have in the first round and do you think you could get a top goalie with your first pick?
    I'm drafting towards the end of the first round, and generally speaking my draft pick positions are a little below average. That said, most other teams are keeping at least 1 if not 2 goalies. It's unlikely many guys will be taken in the first round. I think guys like Talbot will likely still be on the board by the third round of our draft.