Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help My Draft Strategy (4 1st Rounders) - REP Given!

Dobber Sports Pro

Question Help My Draft Strategy (4 1st Rounders) - REP Given!

For the team in my sig, I love my keepers but don't love that half are centers. I've got 2nd, 3rd, 6th, and 12th in the 1st round. I've also got ALL 13 of my picks in the first 5 rounds (12 in the first 4). I know I've set myself up pretty well, but I really want to be smart with my firsts, since I traded away some serious talent to get them.

It seems the GM with first overall is likely taking Andersen, who I was hoping to snag. The other decent remaining goalies (in order of personal preference) are: Fleury, Allen, Smith, Talbot & Dubnyk. Worth taking any of them with a first rounder? I'm leaning towards no, unless it's maybe with my 12th and there's already been a mini-goalie run (12 goalies were kept in total by the other 11 teams).

There are some seriously good players available, and I know I can grab a few of them at least. Here are the top choices (in order or my preference within position):

LW: Forsberg, Huberdeau, Ehlers, Marchessault, Couture, Schwartz, Connor, Skinner, RNH

RW: Tarasenko, Voracek, Nylander, Granlund, Radulov, Teravainen, Arvidsson, Miller, Dadonov

C: Backstrom, Getzlaf, Bergeron, Dubois, O'Reilly, Trochek, Galchenyuk

D: Gostisbehere, Carlson, Krug, Barrie, Josi, Hamilton, Yandle

With my first two picks (if indeed Andersen isn't there) I'm torn between the foursome of Forsberg, Tarasenko, Gostisbehere and Backstrom. I'm leaning towards Tarasenko and either Forsberg or Gostisbehere (which one should I target?) with my first 2 picks, but I'm wondering if Forsberg would still be there at pick 6 while Backstrom would likely be gone? I know that's overkill on center, but man it'd add up to a ton of points, and I could focus just on wingers and D after that. Or should I pass on Backstrom since I'd likely end up with a couple wingers with C eligibility anyways, and just have to sit them? Dobber's projections have Backstrom up near 80 points.

Out of the orders I have WITHIN each position, do you guys see anyone that's listed way out of whack? Sorry for the long post, but my entire draft and year depends on these first few rounds. I don't want to be a dummy like last year when I worried so much about goalie schedules that I chose Mike Smith in the first round because he fit well with Vasilevskiy, haha. Thanks a load for reading, and for your help!
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews
    LW - Draisaitl
    RW - ​​Marner
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey
    G -
    B -

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel
    D - Bouchard, Dobson
    G - Vasilevskiy
    B -
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Perreault, Hutson, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Help My Draft Strategy (4 1st Rounders) - REP Given!

Definitely don't grab Backstrom. There are plenty of other options and he isn't worth screwing yourself positionally. I don't think he'd be on my shortlist even without your C issue.

I think Ghost is a solid pick, and I would probably take Tarasenko with #3 and hope Forsberg is still there at #6 (there's a pretty good chance he will be). Then you have 3C, 1LW, 2RW, 3D. Not bad.

That said, it's likely that one of your top 2 (gost, tarasenko) will be gone with the first pick, so if that happens I'd just slide Forsberg in there and take someone else at #6.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Definitely don't grab Backstrom. There are plenty of other options and he isn't worth screwing yourself positionally. I don't think he'd be on my shortlist even without your C issue.

I think Ghost is a solid pick, and I would probably take Tarasenko with #3 and hope Forsberg is still there at #6 (there's a pretty good chance he will be). Then you have 3C, 1LW, 2RW, 3D. Not bad.

That said, it's likely that one of your top 2 (gost, tarasenko) will be gone with the first pick, so if that happens I'd just slide Forsberg in there and take someone else at #6.
    Thanks for this! I needed to be talked out of picking Backie. I've always had a soft spot for him, haha.

The top pick is likely going to be Andersen, so if Tarasenko, Ghost, or whoever is taken first, I think I need to take Andersen with my second overall. Otherwise I'm risking having weak goalies this year. Who do you think the other GM's would be most likely to take before my 6th, Forsberg or Ghost? If my short list is gone by the 6th pick, who should I target there - Krug, Voracek or Huberdeau?
    C - McDavid, Matthews
    LW - Draisaitl
    RW - ​​Marner
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey
    G -
    B -

D - Bouchard, Dobson
    G - Vasilevskiy
    B -

Dobber Sports Monster

I'd be all over Tarasenko and Forsberg with picks 2 and 3. Then at 6 I take Dubnyk and at 12 I grab a high-end D.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post
    I'd be all over Tarasenko and Forsberg with picks 2 and 3. Then at 6 I take Dubnyk and at 12 I grab a high-end D.
    Thanks! Agreed with those first 2 for sure. Who do you think would be still there at 12, out of Ghost or Dubnyk? With only wins and shutouts counting, do you really think Dubnyk is still at the top of that goalie list I've got to choose from?

I'm thinking they should be in this order: Fleury, Allen, Smith, Talbot & Dubnyk. Please let me know if I'm crazy!
    C - McDavid, Matthews
    LW - Draisaitl
    RW - ​​Marner
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey
    G -
    B -

D - Bouchard, Dobson
    G - Vasilevskiy
    B -

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Svbetts View Post
    Thanks! Agreed with those first 2 for sure. Who do you think would be still there at 12, out of Ghost or Dubnyk? With only wins and shutouts counting, do you really think Dubnyk is still at the top of that goalie list I've got to choose from?

I'm thinking they should be in this order: Fleury, Allen, Smith, Talbot & Dubnyk. Please let me know if I'm crazy!
    Well I think Allen should be 1st in your list of G, STL is that good. I would put Dub 2nd, Minny is solid year after year and you get a good floor. with him.

That said, I would go with Forsberg and Tarasenko with the 2 and 3, Ghost if he's here in 6, if no Allen. And then if no Dubnyk. You can always pick Fleury with the 12th choice imo.
    14 Team Fantrax, G, A, PIM, SOG, PPP, SHP, Hit, Blk, FO%, GWG+ShGWG, W, L, SV, SV%, SHO
    Max Total Players: 31
    Min Active Players: 0
    Max Active Players: 17
    Max Reserve Players: 4
    Max Injury Reserve Players: 3
    Max Minor League Players: 15

C- MacKinnon, Seguin (RW), Bergeron, Kuznetsov, Hayes
    LW- Gaudreau, A Lee, Domi (LW), Olofsson (RW)
    RW- P Kane, T Wilson, Dadonov (LW), M Tkachuk (LW)
    D- Hedman, Carlson, Doughty, Spurgeon, Girard

G-Vasilevskiy, Varlamov, Stalock

Farm:
    F Hallander, G Denisenko, J Kuokkanen, C Garland, S Noel, A Barre-Boulet, J Marino, C Delia, J Korenar, D Tarasov, U-P Luukkonen, A Werner, J Annunen

Dobber Sports Jedi

Take Ghost over Forsberg - you'd be drafting name value not real value. I'll actually take Ghost to OUTPOINT Forsberg without D bonus' given this season. He's entering magical year 4 of his career. This is normally players breakout year... Seriously, Take Ghost with the 2nd pick if he's there. He's going to bridge the gap between Klingberg & Hedman/Burns/Karlsson - I really think he's on the verge of breaking into that elite tier of offensive Dmen.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by martinc84 View Post
    Well I think Allen should be 1st in your list of G, STL is that good. I would put Dub 2nd, Minny is solid year after year and you get a good floor. with him.

That said, I would go with Forsberg and Tarasenko with the 2 and 3, Ghost if he's here in 6, if no Allen. And then if no Dubnyk. You can always pick Fleury with the 12th choice imo.
    Thanks for this! That's what I'm leaning towards. I'm high on Ghost (because Dobber's projections and Fantasy Hockey Geek are), but I am thinking his lack of name recognition compared to Forsberg makes hime more likely to be there at 6th.

I think Allen is awesome too and on a really good, improved team, but many others aren't big on him.For Dubnyk, I'm afraid this might be the year Minny gets their rear handed to them in that awesome division.
    C - McDavid, Matthews
    LW - Draisaitl
    RW - ​​Marner
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey
    G -
    B -

D - Bouchard, Dobson
    G - Vasilevskiy
    B -

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Take Ghost over Forsberg - you'd be drafting name value not real value. I'll actually take Ghost to OUTPOINT Forsberg without D bonus' given this season. He's entering magical year 4 of his career. This is normally players breakout year... Seriously, Take Ghost with the 2nd pick if he's there. He's going to bridge the gap between Klingberg & Hedman/Burns/Karlsson - I really think he's on the verge of breaking into that elite tier of offensive Dmen.
    I was really thinking something like that too, but there are some other really good D (Carlson, Krug, Barrie, Josi, Hamilton, Yandle) that I know I could grab second or third round with my many picks then. I LOVE having a really strong D-core, but I don't want to leave my wings too weak. Do you think Ghost will still be there at 6th? I'm expecting he could be, though I was originally thinking of taking him second overall. Now I wonder. If he's gone at 6th, I'd probably grab Krug, Voracek or Huberdeau then. Think it's worth the risk? I'm usually bigger on D-men than most guys in the league (I kept Klingberg over Benn, after all).
    C - McDavid, Matthews
    LW - Draisaitl
    RW - ​​Marner
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey
    G -
    B -

D - Bouchard, Dobson
    G - Vasilevskiy
    B -

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Ghost Voracek Forsberg Carlson Tarasenko Dubnyk Marchessault Huberdeau Trocheck Barrie would be my first picks

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Svbetts View Post
    I was really thinking something like that too, but there are some other really good D (Carlson, Krug, Barrie, Josi, Hamilton, Yandle) that I know I could grab second or third round with my many picks then. I LOVE having a really strong D-core, but I don't want to leave my wings too weak. Do you think Ghost will still be there at 6th? I'm expecting he could be, though I was originally thinking of taking him second overall. Now I wonder. If he's gone at 6th, I'd probably grab Krug, Voracek or Huberdeau then. Think it's worth the risk? I'm usually bigger on D-men than most guys in the league (I kept Klingberg over Benn, after all).
    If you were considering Forsberg at 2 - then I would def. take Ghost (and then wait for the collective groans) ...

Of all the LW you listed - I actually like Hubs to lead them all in points this year. So I'd be comfortable taking him at 6. Tarasenko is another player over-valued for his name and shot. At best he's low 70's points, Voracek as he did last year can give you 80+. You should be able to score huge value with the 12th pick as teams draft names over production.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post
    I agree here. You need wingers. The goalies on your list are all comparable, although not high on Allen. I go wing wing goalie goali. Steer clear of all centers!
    HTH Daily League, 8 teams, (goals, ppp, +/-, assists, SOG, W, GAA, SV%) keepers in Bold.

C (s3) EP40, ​Trocheck, Marchessault LW, Horvat

LW (s3) Johnny Hockey, Parise, Terivinen RW, Meier RW
    RW(s3) Wheeler C, Taresenko, Atkinson, Gallagher
    Until(s1)

D (s4) Carlson, Yandle, Jones, Trouba

G Dubnyk, Rittich, Markstrom, Binnington

IR Ehlers, Hall

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Tank and ghost would be my 2,3 pick, then a goalie and then hubs maybe if available
    H2H - Keep 3 players + 1 D - 12 teams - 2 C, 2 RW, 2 LW, 4 D, 2 G +bench.

S - G, A, P, +/-, PPP, SHP, GWG
    G - W, GAA, SV%, SO

C - McDavid,Scheifele,
    RW -
    LW -
    D - Reilly
    G -

H2H - Keep 4 players + 1 D - 12 - 3 C, 3 RW, 3 LW, 4 D, 2 G +bench.

S - G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW, HITS, BLKS
    G- W, SV%, GAA, SO
    C- Seguin
    RW-Kane,Marner
    LW-
    D- Hedman
    G- Vasilevskiey

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by MasterX57 View Post
    Ghost Voracek Forsberg Carlson Tarasenko Dubnyk Marchessault Huberdeau Trocheck Barrie would be my first picks
    Thanks! While I think there's a chance Voracek outpoints Tarasenko, I think there's a decent chance I can grab Voracek in the second, while Tarasenko will for sure go early.

Still think Dubnyk wins more than Allen, Fleury or Smith?

Also, no Krug on that list? Do you think Carlson and Barrie have better seasons?
    C - McDavid, Matthews
    LW - Draisaitl
    RW - ​​Marner
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey
    G -
    B -

D - Bouchard, Dobson
    G - Vasilevskiy
    B -

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    If you were considering Forsberg at 2 - then I would def. take Ghost (and then wait for the collective groans) ...

Of all the LW you listed - I actually like Hubs to lead them all in points this year. So I'd be comfortable taking him at 6. Tarasenko is another player over-valued for his name and shot. At best he's low 70's points, Voracek as he did last year can give you 80+. You should be able to score huge value with the 12th pick as teams draft names over production.
    I don't know if I can resist the temptation of getting Tarasenko, haha. He should be coming into his prime now! I do hope to get Huberdeau though, either late first or mid second. Voracek can be awesome but his totals often fluctuate more than probably anyone in the league. I'll try to get him second round I think. I do think you've convinced me to go back to my original, temporarily abandoned plan of taking Ghost with the second or third overall. Love having a few high flying D!
    C - McDavid, Matthews
    LW - Draisaitl
    RW - ​​Marner
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey
    G -
    B -

D - Bouchard, Dobson