Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: 2018/19 Dobber Expert - Stanley League

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Trade:

Patrik Laine Wpg - LW,RW
    Traded to Doughty Deeds

Drew Doughty LA - D
    Traded to MonsterManthas

Doughty Deeds trades away Doughty?! Say it ain't so!
    Ah man! I didn't even think of that! Need to take a shot at some more shots and goals though!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Why is everything a secret? I hate the NHL so much. Weird, paranoid, conspiracy theorists in charge of these teams. Why can't they just tell us who the goalie is? Baseball tells us and it actually matters in that sport. Do they think Kucherov will crumple to the ice in terror upon the revelation of the surprise goalie? I've got email alerts and at least three websites that will tell me the goalie but I also have a wife, kid and two dogs and if I have to hit a thirty second window before the game to get him in than I'm screwed.

And injuries! "We will neither confirm nor deny that a player, who may or may not be named Crosby, who may or may not be on our team, may or may not have an injury to some portion of his alleged body. He will perhaps be a game time decision tonight which doesn't mean that he might not still be day-to-day six weeks from now." Until of course you notice that he's playing tonight because wouldn't those three points, four PIM, six shots, four hits, two blocks and fifteen FOW have looked good in your starting line up. Aaaarrrgh!!!

The Wolverine

Tough trying to catch temek. LOTR is doing a good job staying close, and I (HL) have been hanging around the top 3 for a few weeks' now. Hopefully I can maintain some steady production and finish on the podium. But a bunch chasing (9 points separating 3rd through 8th) will ensure an exciting final few weeks.

The Wolverine

1 Last Resort 76
    2 Han's Labyrinth 71
    2 Lord of the Rinks 71
    4 Horny for Hedman 67.5
    5 Yellow Dogs 66.5
    6 MonsterManthas 65
    7 Doughty Deeds 62
    8 The Jobbers 61
    9 Lonny Bohonos Magic 44
    9 Bench Warmers 44
    11 Mario's Infirmary 40.5
    12 holypuck 33.5

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Random fact of fantasy hockey: My team has NEVER won a goalie peripheral category in ROTO.
    Monster Manthas goalies are currently tied for 1st in GAA: 2.57.
    Holy cow.

Top 8 looking cut & dry for 2019-2020.
    Bottom 4, ruh-roh.

Oddly, temek's lead doesn't LOOK astronomically big... but it's been about 4-6pts for last few months, yes?

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Random fact of fantasy hockey: My team has NEVER won a goalie peripheral category in ROTO.
    Monster Manthas goalies are currently tied for 1st in GAA: 2.57.
    Holy cow.

Top 8 looking cut & dry for 2019-2020.
    Bottom 4, ruh-roh.

Oddly, temek's lead doesn't LOOK astronomically big... but it's been about 4-6pts for last few months, yes?
    Peng, Mr. Goalie!

Yeah, temek has had at least that lead for awhile, other than LOTR getting close a few weeks' back.

This week has been the closest I've been (4-5 points back). Even though my chances are slim, I'm not giving up. You never know! Not bad for an autodraft, eh?

The Wolverine

Rank Team Points
    1 Last Resort 80
    2 Han's Labyrinth 74
    3 Yellow Dogs 72.5
    4 Horny for Hedman 70.5
    5 Lord of the Rinks 68.5
    6 The Jobbers 63
    7 MonsterManthas 61.5
    8 Doughty Deeds 56.5
    9 Lonny Bohonos Magic 43
    10 holypuck 38
    10 Mario's Infirmary 38
    12 Bench Warmers 36.5

The Wolverine

The title looks out of reach but the battle is still on for the podium places. Should go down to the wire!

The Wolverine

Rank Team Points
    1 Last Resort 84
    2 Han's Labyrinth 74
    3 Horny for Hedman 71.5
    4 Lord of the Rinks 71
    5 Yellow Dogs 70
    6 The Jobbers 65.5
    7 MonsterManthas 63
    8 Doughty Deeds 54
    9 Lonny Bohonos Magic 41
    10 Mario's Infirmary 37
    11 holypuck 36
    12 Bench Warmers 35

The Wolverine

Rank Team Points
    1 Last Resort 84
    2 Yellow Dogs 77
    3 Lord of the Rinks 75
    4 Han's Labyrinth 74.5
    5 Horny for Hedman 68
    6 The Jobbers 66
    7 MonsterManthas 62
    8 Doughty Deeds 51
    9 Lonny Bohonos Magic 39.5
    10 Mario's Infirmary 36
    11 Bench Warmers 35
    12 holypuck 34

Final standings updates likely on Sunday or shortly thereafter!

The Wolverine

Final standings - congrats to temek on the win!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Two years ago, a 7-round opening missed-draft auto-draft had me finish 7th (out of PRO qualification) in a Dobber Conference-level league.
    Last year, I managed to qualify the hard way, finishing 1st overall in my league (Campbell? Wales?)

I managed that win on the strength of drafting D-heavy with value-drafting goalies.
    This style usually works GREAT if there's 1, 2, or 3 lesser-keen GMs... because value-goalies are left on the table.
    It does NOT work so great in a fully-keen league: especially one with WEEKLY starts. (In RHRS, at least I can spot-add back-up goalies when I see H2H matches coming)
    So I was (too) bound & determined to GET, MY, GOALIES!

Off & running on my DobberPRO team (drafted Sept20th, ten days ahead of RHRS).

1-9: Erik Karlsson. In this six-cat league (with HIT, but not PIM), there are three elite D... and they start to go near the end of 1st round... which means I'd better draft one pre-turn, not after. Sure enough, this was smart. Burns went at 7, then Hedman at 11.

2-16: Patrik Laine. In this format, getting big G/SOG is critical on top end of draft. Laine should also bring great PPP and +/-. I needed this to balance out Karlsson, who may not put up huge SOG. And... I mean, how can anybody NOT want to own this guy!!!

3-33: Tuukka Rask. I don't like drafting goalies high... but in "weekly lock", its hard to rally in goalie starts. I rostered 3 quality goalies last year, overpaced at G, and was all set when a starter went down. It was critical to my 1st place finish and I've seen it decimate teams to relegation. This year, I simply want to feel out the league and avoid relegation, so I'll make sure I get my 164 starts. I target Atlantic goalies because TB/TOR/BOS/FLA get to feast on BUF/OTT/MON/DET. I really would've liked to compliment Rask with Halak... but Halak went way sooner than I hoped - fortunately, I've got enough goalies.

4-40: MA Fleury. Goalie #2. Immediately, this puts me behind pace on high-end skater stats. This may be a problem, but, again, I'll settle for 5th-8th place so long as my goaltending is very good in 6/3-cat set-up.

5-57: Anze Kopitar. Solid all-around center who I also took in RHRS around about same mark. Should have solid stats again.

6-64: Mitchell Marner. I took him in RHRS too. Expecting big things. RW2.

7-81: OEL. He's pretty good in this format and I think he has a bounce-back year.

8-88: Brayden Point. Very good young forward. About par-value at this pick.

9-105: Roberto Luongo. I was the first team to have 3 goalies... and I made this pick because the teams inside me at the turn were laying off goalies. I *HATE* leaving value on the board for ANYONE. Sometimes, yes, I will hurt my own team. And, in DobberTier leagues, the relegation is REAL - which means people may feel forced to trade for a goalie if they are falling down there. I also *LOVE* the Panthers upside this year. I suppose we'll never know if Lu was to go in the next six picks... but it was disheartening when they all laid off goalie drafts again.

10-112: Sean Couturier. He's not going to be top30 fantasy player again... but maybe top 60. I'll take that.

11-129: Carey Price. 4th goalie. Ugh. IDK, looking back... it's hard to justify this. Same theory as round 9... those damn slackers drafting at 10-11-12, we'll see how they do.

12-136: Colin Miller. I'm not thrilled about this pick, but his advanced stats are really good and he does HIT and get PP time. With Schmidt out to start season, should get big TOI.

13-153: Nino Niederreiter. TBH, IDK on this pick. Nino has always baffled me. Some expect him to bounce back and I started getting desperate because I had ZERO Left Wingers here... just could.not.find.one.

14-160: Ryan O'Reilly. This should be a solid pick. ROR fell on pre-draft rank because of his Buffalo negative, which could flip from -20 to +20 with STL. Let's hope so.

15-177: Anthony Mantha. Mantha is a young player I'm big on this year. With Zetterberg out, I expect him & Larkin to be PP1 and line1 all year. Hopefully he busts out to 55-60pts and big Hits. I do worry about +/-.
    I decided to name my team after him.

16-184: Jon Drouin. Well, back to my hopes. I was SO high on him last year... I'll invest again. Two years ago Larkin burned me... and I vowed not to make that mistake again. I should've Larkin-ed twice, now I'll Drouin-twice.

17-203: Nikita Zadorov. Ugh, looking back, 17th round is way to high for a pure HITS investment... but I had abused my D-drafting.

18-210: Patrick Marleau. So, then I compliment my over-HIT drafting with a non-HIT guy, hoping to recoup my Zadorov MINUS with Marleau's PLUS. Feels like I got ONE player with TWO picks. Awful.

rd19: Erik Johnson. Great value, while healthy.
    rd20: Nick Bjugstad. Actually solid place to get a FLA top sixer.
    rd21: Zach Hyman. No PP1, so hope those complimentary points and pluses add up.
    rd22: Oliver Bjorkstrand. High on this kid, drafted him in RHRS at about same point.
    rd23: Michael Del Zotto. Well, he hits.
    rd24: Robby Fabbri. Already injured, ho-hum
    rd25: Micheal Ferland. Why do you spell your name E-A-L. I hate that. I've since replaced him.

Overall - this draft was similar to the way Ebby Calvin Nuke Laloosh makes love...
    "a little bit all over the place".

One of my poorer drafts ever - with no potential of a top 3 finish.
    Best case is that I flip a goalie or two to somebody desperately trying to avoid relegation.

For now, I'll be scratching & clawing to a 7th or 8th place finish... if I can.
    Just a really bad draft... but it set the tone for a more focused attack on RHRS, ten days later.
    Looking back at my draft...
    Well, it feels amazing I could finish in a tie for 5th.
    One just can NOT win a fantasy hockey pool by going goalie-heavy (unless that GM can flip goalies for skaters... and trading is not my strong suit).

I drafted four goalies in the first 11 rounds: Rask(3), Fleury(4), Luongo(9), Price(11).
    Price ended up being a massive steal, all missed some time, and so I did finish with my max GP for goalies (165), finished first in Wins (97), first in GAA (2.57) and... well, SV is just a luck finish, I think I was 5th.
    Overall, best goalie totals in my league.

Not surprisingly, with Laine's disappointing season, Karlsson missing a slew of games... I finished NEAR LAST in total skater points.
    Kopitar, OEL, and Colin Miller were all VERY underwhelming.
    Fortunately, after missing Brayden Point in RHRS, I got him here. STEAL OF THE YEAR.
    Also I drafted Mitch Marner, Ryan O'Reilly, and held the end-of-year scorcher named Anthony Mantha.
    As stated in my opening summary, and quoted from Bull Durham, this draft was "a little bit all over the place".

I won points in every tight skater battle I could.

It was sort of boring year, knowing I had limited upside... but I did learn a lot and was part of the ONLY league trade (moving Laine for Doughty).
    With 4 new teams coming in next year, hopefully the fun will be resurrected!!!

Dobber Sports Titan

You guys only had one trade?! Fear not, it will be into the double digits next year
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    You guys only had one trade?! Fear not, it will be into the double digits next year
    Yeah it was surprising that there weren't more deals. I had some good negotiations but none of them went anywhere. Though, looking back at some of my offers and I'm happy they were rejected!

As for you joining us next year, if they're good offers then I will consider them! Welcome!

Dobber Sports Titan

Consideration is all I can ask!

It is funny looking back on some of those deals.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)