Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2018/19 Dobber Expert - Stanley League

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: 2018/19 Dobber Expert - Stanley League

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    After winning the expert league Pengwin7 wasn't in, albeit in a tie that came about on the final day (thankfully the top two from each Pro Division was promoted eliminating the need for any tie-breaker!), I was happy to find myself in the expert league.

Again, similar to Pengwin7, my ultimate goal is to stick and not get relegated! And temek's projections give me hope I should at least find myself sitting in the middle of the pack if not making a run of it.

I ended up with the 5 spot, which I was ok with, as I'm drafting near the top while not having to wait exceptionally long before being able to pick a second time. I was flanked by Lord of the Rinks at 4 and Jobbers at 6, which is important, because I was yelling at them a couple of times throughout the draft.

1-5: Sidney Crosby - I found the 5-spot tough, as I wasn't entirely sure who to target. I expected McD, OV, Kuch and Crosby to go 1-4 so I found myself thinking I should target a D, and I think Hedman would have been my choice as I'm a little leary of how Burns and Karlsson might affect each other and I like to be safe with an early pick (mind you I highly doubt Burns or Karlsson will see decreased production, but there was just something I didn't like there). I was surprised to have Crosby fall and switched gears off the bat.

2-20: Brad Marchand - I was hoping to target one of the top goalies here, and was extatic to see Hellebuyck dropping, only to have him sniped by Jobbers right in front of me (#1). That was the end of my top teir for G, so I decided to wait and hope Andersen or Holtby would last 8 picks. I took the top winger on the board in Marchand as I remember last year the wing thinned out pretty quick. Pretty happy with my top 2 selections.

3-29: Drew Doughty - So Andersen went right after my Marchand with Holtby a pick later and I wasn't extatic with the goalies left at this point so I decided to grab one of my favourite defenseman who contributes across the board in Doughty, who became my teams namesake.

4-44: Devan Dubnyk - There was a large run of goaltenders as I awaited my next pick; Rask, Quick, Jones, Fleury, Murray Gibson, so it was definitely time to take a goalie and I was happy to grab Dubnyk here. Although not in love with Minnesota as an ageing team, I do think they are good defensively and Dubnyk is a relatively consistent starter who I rode to victory last year.

5-53: Artemi Panarin - I wanted to focus on points early and worry about any peripherals I was lacking later in the draft Panarin fit the bill and also being an elite winger. I was fairly happy with how things were going up to this point, but figured I needed to target some more D with my upcoming picks.

6-68: Jake Allen - All the D I was targeting were disappearing quickly, culminated by the last one in my Queue, Dumba, once again by Jobbers, right in front of me (#2). I scrambled here an ultimately took my second goalie. I don't love or even like Allen, but St. Louis as a team should be decent, so I figured I'd have to target his backups as well given his injury history (I managed to nab Chad Johnson, but missed on Husso who was a waiver pickup by temek, a miss by me). The first pick I'm not all that happy about. A RW like Voracek who went right after may have been better.

7-77: Torey Krug - I needed to take a defenseman here, and Krug was the call. I considered OEL or Ristolainen as better options, but as much as I hate the +/- stat, I find it sinks my team more often than not when I ignore it, so part of my strategy was to focus on players from teams likely to be on the + side of goal differential. Far from an exact science though.

8-92: Morgan Rielly - I was still thinking D here but was waffling on the pick. Barrie was at the forefront of my mind, but ultimately the talk of Toronto's PP1 and Rielly having a spot on it plus my slight bias towards the ML, I was happy to select Rielly. Barrie went with the next pick.

9-101: Viktor Arvidsson - RW was the target at this point, and naturally, my queue of Keller, Radulov and Kovalchuk disappear right in front of me. I had to pick one though, and Arvidsson was the scramble selection. I'm hoping he was the top RW at this point, but I don't love the pick. Hoping he continues to perform on a strong Nashville team.

10-116: Ryan Ellis - At this point I noticed Backstrom remained on the board, and not having a second C yet, I was ecstatic watching him continue to fall down the board, with Hoffman as a backup plan. Hoffman goes at 114 followed by Backstrom at 115 by the Jobbers (#3). Scrambling I ended up with Ellis. I didn't love the remaining C at this position nor the RW, so I took another D in Ellis.

11-125: Jayden Schwartz - RW was still the target, but I didn't love any of the options at this spot. I considered Atkinson (who went right after) and Konecny and Simmonds, but I had small concerns with each, so I picked Schwartz, who obviously has concerns of his own, but when he's in the lineup, he produces. I love my 3LW at this point, happy with my 4D, ok with my 2G and realize I need to focus on C and RW over the next few rounds.

12-140: Sam Reinhart - Was completely focused on RW at this point, and Reinhart may be a round or two early here, but I like him as a breakout target this year and needed a RW.

13-149: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - I was entirely focused on Galchenyuk with this pick, but he was taken two picks in front me (thankfully not Jobbers for once). I liked some of the D on the board, but I was sitting with 4 strong D already so I picked RNH. I like him as a player, it's just hard to count on him for a full season, and with Schwartz already in the fold, I was hesitant to add another potential injury. Ultimately I like the pick, probably even better than Galchenyuk.

14-156: Nico Hischier - I was targeting another C as I liked the value available. O'Reilly, Johansen, Kadri were all in the queue, and all taken with picks 4, 3, 2 just ahead of me. I swore Jobbers was going to take Hischier, but I lucked out with him grabbing a defenseman.

15-173: James Reimer - Not sure I love this pick, but I don't trust Allen to be workhorse and I like Florida as a team. With an ageing Luongo, I thought this was a good bet to add some starts and hopefully W.

16-188: Bo Horvat - Looking for a C here who can score some goals with some PPP, Horvat should be able to give me 20 and 10-15.

17-197: Hampus Lindholm - Was looking for a D who could add some hits.

18-212: Mats Zuccarello - Needed a RW and again looking for PPP potential. I acknowledged the minus here but thought I was in good enough shape to absorb it. Looking back, not my favourite pick as Buchnevich might have been the better choice.

19-221: Jakob Silfverberg - Again looking at RW.
    20-236: Dion Phaneuf - Solid D who will add to hit totals.
    21-245: Nick Schmaltz - Decent winger with upside at this point in the draft.
    22-260: Tyler Johnson - Decent production hopefully with some upside albeit with injury risk.
    23-269: David Backes - Mainly looking for some hits here.
    24-284: Kevin Labanc - Probably should have taken Chad Johnson and Ville Husso with the last two picks instead of just Johnson.
    25-293: Chad Johnson - Allen Handcuff, see above.

Overall I was happy with my draft. I felt like I was getting sniped left and right, but going back through it, it wasn't too bad other than 2 or 3 instances where I was really flustered. I think overall it was just due to each and every manager having a game plan and being well informed, making it a challenging one. I feel like I have a solid lineup at each position with solid stat coverage, which should at least keep me in the middle of the pack, pending a devastating injury which would likely have to happen to my goaltending. Drafting is only half the battle though, with another part being luck in hitting on a few picks and then using the waiver wire to your advantage.
    I think I was flustered at at least 3 separate stages of this draft, in the same ways you experienced, so I guess it's just par for the course.
    -----------------

LEAGUE: keeper -- 6 keepers per year, no farm; roto; 10 managers, 18-man rosters; 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 G, 5 Bench; limits of 99 games per skater position & 82 games per goalie position; daily roster moves; max 100 waiver wire transactions per year; scoring categories of G, A, +/-, HIT, PPP, SOG, DEF (points by d-men), W, GAA, SA%, and SV.

ROSTER:

C: Draisaitl* (LW), Dubois, Nelson
    LW: Svechnikov* (RW), Hagel
    RW: Kucherov*, Tarasenko, Wilson, Stone, Laine, Reinhart, P. Kane (IR)
    D: Fox*, Karlsson*, Chabot (IR), Faulk, Martinez
    G:: Vasilevskiy*, Vanecek, Adin, Knight (IR)

* = 2023 keepers

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by rooneypoo View Post
    I think I was flustered at at least 3 separate stages of this draft, in the same ways you experienced, so I guess it's just par for the course.
    Absolutely! Nice and competitive!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Is there a better duo to start the year with than Rask (5ga, pulled, L) and Fleury (5ga, pulled, L)?
    #GAATenPointSomething #Last

Dobber Sports Apprentice

You've no doubt offended the hockey gods with your goalie drafting strategy this year.
    2012 DobberHockey Hall of Fame - Player's Category

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Is there a better duo to start the year with than Rask (5ga, pulled, L) and Fleury (5ga, pulled, L)?
    #GAATenPointSomething #Last
    I have a bag of pucks available if you want to trade one of them?

Meanwhile... Greiss of all people serves me up a 45-save, 1 goal against, OT win.

The hockey gods are cruel, or whimsical.
    -----------------

LEAGUE: keeper -- 6 keepers per year, no farm; roto; 10 managers, 18-man rosters; 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 G, 5 Bench; limits of 99 games per skater position & 82 games per goalie position; daily roster moves; max 100 waiver wire transactions per year; scoring categories of G, A, +/-, HIT, PPP, SOG, DEF (points by d-men), W, GAA, SA%, and SV.

ROSTER:

* = 2023 keepers

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I owned Greiss in every league last year and he may have cost me all of them because my goalies sucked but my number one was usually OK. Having said that, I had him in last night in the one league I own him. It's so goalie heavy that I need every body I can muster. Also, Barry Trotz plus he can't be as bad as he was last year, right?

Quote Originally Posted by duntroon68 View Post
    I owned Greiss in every league last year and he may have cost me all of them because my goalies sucked but my number one was usually OK. Having said that, I had him in last night in the one league I own him. It's so goalie heavy that I need every body I can muster. Also, Barry Trotz plus he can't be as bad as he was last year, right?
    I'm betting on one of Greiss or Lehner pulling out a decent year under Trotz, although mercifully that's just option #3 for me.
    -----------------

ROSTER:

* = 2023 keepers

The Wolverine

Standings update:

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Not that it's important but Yellow Dogs is not my Dobber name. But it is nice to have this posted on the one day I'm in first.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by duntroon68 View Post
    Not that it's important but Yellow Dogs is not my Dobber name. But it is nice to have this posted on the one day I'm in first.
    Thanks for spotting it. I have your correct Dobber name on my master list but accidentally added your team name again when doing the standings updates spreadsheet. Will be fixed for the next one.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

You know, for the amount you're being paid to do this...

The Wolverine

How's everyone feeling about their teams / the season so far?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Frustrated in a word.

Trailing heavily in G and S, a number of players are on the wrong side of luck with low S%'s. That being said, I do have a surplus of assists and am willing to explore a lateral trade of A/PPP for more G/S. I would look more at historical production as compared to current stats as early in the season you have hot and cold streaks.

Goaltending is where my real problems lie. Dubnyk is playing well, but hasn't had great support from a mediocre MIN team and is trailing in W. Allen (who I wasn't fond of as a pick in the first place) and St. Louis have been even more frustrating off the bat. Sitting last in goalie GP with few W in the games that have been played has left me trailing heavily in those categories.

All in all, it's a poor start, but one I can see turning around that should at least get me to the middle of the pack and out of relegation territory..... I hope....

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    My team is as bad as I thought they'd be.
    Just didn't draft enough skater-quality... which is odd, because that's always my M.O.
    Last in G.
    Last in A.
    Karlsson has been outright terrible (Yahoo 241).

Best case for me would be to see some team roll out to such a huge G/A lead that they are willing to move a skater for a goalie.
    But right now, everybody is pacing just fine for goalies (24-32gp for all teams) and the scoring is super tight (G-A) at top.
    So - there's no market for offering a goalie-for-skater.

I did bring the team in for a meeting and just chopped a bunch of players including Bjugstad, Neiderreiter, and Bjorkstrand.

It's going to be an absolute grind though to try to get up to 8th.
    Just too many solid GMs.