Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018/19 Dobber Expert - Stanley League

The Wolverine

Default 2018/19 Dobber Expert - Stanley League

Welcome to the 2018/19 Dobber Expert Stanley League!

This thread is created to enable managers (and even some non-managers) to chat about the league in general, the draft, teams and even smack talk.

The one request is that any league questions/issues remain on the league board.

A reminder of the settings:

Yahoo, One-year, Rotisserie
    Daily lineups, Weekly FAAB w/ Continual rolling list tiebreak
    No maximum moves/trades, Same day processing
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,W,GAA,SV
    4C,4L,4R,6D,2G,5BN,1IR,2IR+

The live draft is set for Thursday, September 20th at 9pm Eastern.

Here is the draft order (team names updated as of Sep 22):

1 - holypuck (holypuck)
    2 - geetos (Lonny Bohonos Magic)
    3 - duntroon68 (Yellow Dogs)
    4 - LordoftheRinks (Lord of the Rinks)
    5 - Kofax (Kofax TBD)
    6 - rooneypoo (The Jobbers)
    7 - temek (Last Resort)
    8 - lowblocker (Mario's Team)
    9 - Pengwin7 (Monster Manthas)
    10 - RuffRyderJJ (Bench Warmers)
    11 - TheNugeCooge (max power's Team)
    12 - horrorfan (Han's Labyrinth)

I encourage managers to share their thoughts post-draft and throughout the season.

Good luck and have fun!

Draft results:

The Wolverine

Default Re: 2018/19 Dobber Expert - Stanley League

Draft tomorrow night - hope everyone is getting ready!

Auto draft and the 12th pick for me - this should be interesting!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Anyone else not able to successfully test their system's capability with the Yahoo draft testing site? I've tried 3 different browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox) on 2 different computers (a new iMac, my old MacBook Pro), but no luck... each time I'm brought to a page and nothing at all happens...

Here's the link they provided in the reminder email today: https://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.c...ftclient/check.
    -----------------

LEAGUE: keeper -- 6 keepers per year, no farm; roto; 10 managers, 18-man rosters; 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 G, 5 Bench; limits of 99 games per skater position & 82 games per goalie position; daily roster moves; max 100 waiver wire transactions per year; scoring categories of G, A, +/-, HIT, PPP, SOG, DEF (points by d-men), W, GAA, SA%, and SV.

ROSTER:

C: Draisaitl* (LW), Dubois, Nelson
    LW: Svechnikov* (RW), Hagel
    RW: Kucherov*, Tarasenko, Wilson, Stone, Laine, Reinhart, P. Kane (IR)
    D: Fox*, Karlsson*, Chabot (IR), Faulk, Martinez
    G:: Vasilevskiy*, Vanecek, Adin, Knight (IR)

* = 2023 keepers

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by rooneypoo View Post
    Anyone else not able to successfully test their system's capability with the Yahoo draft testing site? I've tried 3 different browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox) on 2 different computers (a new iMac, my old MacBook Pro), but no luck... each time I'm brought to a page and nothing at all happens...

Here's the link they provided in the reminder email today: https://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.c...ftclient/check.
    Strange. Although I'm not drafting at my work, just tried to test it here but I'm having the same issue. However, earlier in the week I tested a mock and I got into the draft room fine, so I'm hoping it's just a glitch with the test link.

I went to suggestions section on the help page:

and there's nothing that mentions that glitch. And a quick scroll in the community forums shows nothing as well.

Tried the test on another league and it's the same issue. If this was affecting a lot of users we'd see some messages or notices about it.

As I'm autodrafting tonight I won't be able to verify anything tonight so hopefully it works out for everyone!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I've had several drafts (most recent on Sunday) with Yahoo with no issues.
    2012 DobberHockey Hall of Fame - Player's Category

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by LordoftheRinks View Post
    I've had several drafts (most recent on Sunday) with Yahoo with no issues.
    Good to know, thanks!

Dobber Sports Superstar

I clicked the link, takes me to a page where it looks like it should be loading something (Yahoo! Fantasy - Checking for Compatibility) type of thing, but nothings happening either. The circle is just frozen.

I am also at work, but completed a couple mocks here for football previously (over lunch of course ).

Update: I participated in a mock draft this morning with no issues, so it seems like it'll be OK.
    -----------------

LEAGUE: keeper -- 6 keepers per year, no farm; roto; 10 managers, 18-man rosters; 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 G, 5 Bench; limits of 99 games per skater position & 82 games per goalie position; daily roster moves; max 100 waiver wire transactions per year; scoring categories of G, A, +/-, HIT, PPP, SOG, DEF (points by d-men), W, GAA, SA%, and SV.

ROSTER:

* = 2023 keepers

The 60-sec clock always makes this draft a challenge, but the good news overall for me was that I experienced 0 technical glitches, so the picks I made are 100% on me.

I was drafting in the 6th spot, so picking 6th in odd rounds and 7th in even rounds.

ROUND 1: I was dreading this pick, and sure enough, all 5 players I actually wanted to pick here were all gone. i can never justify to myself picking a D or G here, so my options where between Hall, Wheeler, and Seguin. I definitely prefer wingers at this stage, but I'm a little concerned about Hall's ability to reproduce last year's performance. Meanwhile, with Wheeler, I just can't justify not taking someone who will for sure put up 35+ goals and tonnes of SOG. So I reluctantly took SEGUIN.

ROUND 2: I'm waffling on a RW or G here, but my queue of RWers gets cleaned out, while HELLEBUYCK, the last of the top 3 goalies, is still there, so I grab him.

ROUND 3: I was thinking D here until the few I had my eye on all go, so I decide on a forward. I'm super nervous about the idea of drafting 2 Cs with my top 3 picks, however, so I waffled between Giroux and FORSBERG before finally choosing the latter. Giroux will score more points, I rationalize, but Forsberg will be a better across-the-board contributor.

ROUND 4: A run on goalies starts in the late 3rd round, but I'm pleased as punch to be able to pick up one of the last 'tier 1' goalies still on the board with GIBSON. I'm pretty OK with this start overall. I've banked 70+ goals, 150+ points, tonnes of SOGs, some decent HIT and PPP, and two steady starters. I decide not to think about goalies too much for the next 6-8 rounds.

ROUND 5: I'm thinking D here all the way, but RAKELL survives the next 13 picks, so I take him. My other option was Kessel, who got a good 40 of my 60 seconds of consideration, but again I thought across-the-board contributors will serve me better. I rationalize, too, that there are about 5+ D here that I'd be happy to take here, so hopefully 1-2 will make it to me next round.

ROUND 6: All the D in my queue are taken... except one: DUMBA. I scoop him up here and am glad to have him, another across-the-board contributor, at pick 66.

ROUND 7: I'm eyeing D here all the way, but of course the 4 I have in my queue are taken. Krug is sniped the pick before me, throwing my off a bit because I thought I was gonna pull through. I shift to forward, looking for someone who will put up a lot of points but still have strong G/PPP/SOG numbers, and decide on AHO.

ROUND 8: I was hoping Ristolainen would fall to me here, but no such luck. I rinse and repeat my strategy from last round and take HUBERDEAU. I'm just hoping there will still be a 45-50+ point Dman or two left for me next pick in the next few rounds.

ROUND 9: A bit of a run on D starts, so I start to think about another RWer, but Radulov and Kovalchuk go right in front of me, so I stick to the D plan and grab YANDLE. He's not gonna help me with G, SOG, or HIT, but last year's experience of being short of PPP is driving this pick in part.

ROUND 10: When Granlund goes, I've got BACKSTROM at the top of my queue and am pleased as punch to get a potential 70-80 point player here, even though I know again that he's not going to help with G, SOG, and HIT, but I figure I focused a lot on those categories in rounds 1-8 or so. Backstrom feels like a steal of a deal here for me.

ROUND 11: I've put a few goalies in my queue by this point, but I also know that I'm really short at RW at this stage (I'm carrying 3 guys who can play C, 3 who can play LW, but only 1 at RW), so I'm looking at ATKINSON here all the way and pick him.

ROUND 12: Price and Crawford, two goalies I was eyeing for a 3rd and had put in my queue at around Round 10, go, so I return to looking for a Dman who will put up 45-50+ points, and so pick GARDINER. Goalie wise, I decide that I'm going to target Grubauer, Reimer, or the Lehner/Greiss handcuff, because my feeling is that I'm just going to spot-start whatever goalies I pick after my first 2.

ROUND 13: A LOT of wingers I was looking at get taken here. I'm looking through my FHG sheet, however, and I notice that I've passed multiple times on BROWN, so I grab him. My RW situation seems a little better, even if I'm a little nervous that he'll regress to a 30-some point winger again.

ROUND 14 & 15: I'm looking at D here, with Suter and Hanifin at the top of my list. They're both there for pick 14, so I take SUTER, the safer bet, and am very happy at pick 15 that HANIFIN is still there, too. I find myself thinking, 'hey, this is a pretty steady D you've got here, with 5 guys who are good bets to put up 40-45+ points.'

ROUND 16 & 17: At the same time, during my focus on D, a lot of goalies are picked, including Grubauer and Reimer, so I commit to the handcuff pick, taking LEHNER and then GREISS. I confess, it was the combo of a Barry Trotz defensive system and the Lehner rebound story that made me want to take this chance.

ROUND 18 & 19: At this stage, I'm filling in my roster. I've got at least 3 players who can play each of the 3 forward spots, 5 steady D, 2 starters, and 2 decent insurance policies for goaltending. Leddy and Jenner are the guys I'm targetting here, but they go just in front of me. I hum and haw and decide on DUCHENE, thinking a 25+ G and 60~ point player at this stage of the game is a pretty good pick, even with the +/- risk, since I've been pretty careful throughout not to take on too many of those. Next I take ORLOV, hoping for 30+ points and some decent peripherals (150~ SOG and HIT).

ROUND 20 & 21: By now I'm having a harder time trying to keep track of who is and isn't available. Mostly, I'm looking at long shots, or guys who can give me a boost in 1-2 categories (usually G and SOG, or HIT, or A and PPP). Pickings are slim. I've got Maroon queued up most of the way, but he goes. This one throws me. I pour over my FHG list, looking anyone who can be a significant contributor in any way, and decide on COYLE. The next round, the same thing happens, with Schmultz disappearing right in front of me. So I rinse and repeat the process, and decide on NYQUIST. I don't really like this pick, but for now, he's just going to sit on my bench anyway. Tatar was the other guy I considered, because I thought he could reach 20+ goals, but his +/- risk scared me off permanently.

ROUND 22 & 23: I add HAULA here, hoping he can give me a goal boost, and then Ritchie, for the HIT boost. All the guys I had pegged as long-shots have long since disappeared (Heiskanen, Pettersson, Svechnikov, etc), so I'm sticking with known quantities.

ROUND 24 & 25: When Fabbri disappears on me, I commit to a D, and select MATHESON. With my last pick, I take a flyer on DZINGEL, because I figure that someone will have to score goals for Ottawa.

Overall, I'm really quite happy with this team. I think I've got 3 solid players at C, LW, and RW; 5 steady Dmen who are likely to put up 40-45+ points, which is not an easy thing to achieve in this league; and 2 rock-solid starters, plus an interesting long-shot that I've made really safe by taking the handcuff. I'm sure someone will run an analysis of this draft and put me in the bottom of the league yet again (last year, I was projected to finish bottom 3, but then finished second, losing on the last night when my team performed disastrously, putting up a -20 +/- and a 5.50+ GAA that sank my championship bid); but, after reviewing everyone else's rosters, I feel pretty confident that this team will be competitive.

C: Seguin, Backstrom, Duchene, Haula (LW)
    LW: Forsberg, Aho (C), Huberdeau, Ritchie, Dzingel (RW)
    RW: Rakell (LW), Atkinson, Brown, Coyle (C), Nyquist
    D: Dumba, Yandle, Gardiner, Suter, Hanifin, Orlov, Matheson
    G: Hellebuych, Gibson, Lehner, Greiss
    -----------------

ROSTER:

* = 2023 keepers

Last Resort

C - Eichel, Stamkos, Zibanejad, Kadri
    LW - M.Tkachuk, Hoffman, Meier, Panik
    RW - Kessel, Boeser, Palmieri, Puljujarvi
    D - Burns, Carlson, Edler, Vatanen, Chychrun, Spurgeon
    G - Murray, Lundqvist
    BN - Stepan, Kesler, Grubauer, Domingue, Sparks

I will be posting more thorough draft review and projected standings later so just some more general thoughts about how the draft went for now.

Plan with goalies was to punt GAA so I was drafting goalies only based on W and Saves and those are pretty heavily influenced by the team goalies plays for. I wanted someone from top team as my 1G so I estimated Andersen, Murray probably were the best bets where I wanted to pick the 1st goalie. Then wait little later for 2G and pick someone like Lundqvist, Price, Smith. Later on pick up backups from top teams to get some extra wins to round out the goalies. Mostly went as planned although I probably should have made getting PIT backups more of a priority after picking up Murray so hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me.

Skaters are pretty solid overall although lot more C heavy than I usually end up with. I would have preferred to be little weaker in C and have a 3rd really good D to go with Burns and Carlson instead, but you have to be ready to alter your plans if draft goes differently than expected.

The Wolverine

Draft results added onto the first post.

I had to autodraft, so wasn't sure what to expect but I'm pretty pleased with the results. There's some positional imbalance but I have decent depth and reasonable spread across the categories. Will see how they actually perform!

Han's Labyrinth

C MacKinnon, Tavares, Barkov, Monahan, Henrique
    L JVR, Guentzel, Palat, Domi(C), Heinen(R)
    R Simmonds, Oshie, Lindholm(C), Bailey, Okposo
    D Josi, Ristolainen, Shattenkirk, Klefbom, Montour, Keith, McDonagh
    G Quick, Jones, Kinkaid

Summary of where I autodrafted them:

1. (12) Nathan MacKinnon (Col - C)
    2. (13) John Tavares (Tor - C)
    3. (36) Jonathan Quick (LA - G)
    4. (37) Martin Jones (SJ - G)
    5. (60) Aleksander Barkov (Fla - C)
    6. (61) Roman Josi (Nsh - D)
    7. (84) Rasmus Ristolainen (Buf - D)
    8. (85) Sean Monahan (Cgy - C)
    9. (108) James van Riemsdyk (Phi - LW)
    10. (109) Jake Guentzel (Pit - LW)
    11. (132) Wayne Simmonds (Phi - RW)
    12. (133) Kevin Shattenkirk (NYR - D)
    13. (156) Oscar Klefbom (Edm - D)
    14. (157) Brandon Montour (Anh - D)
    15. (180) T.J. Oshie (Was - RW)
    16. (181) Elias Lindholm (Cgy - C,RW)
    17. (204) Duncan Keith (Chi - D)
    18. (205) Josh Bailey (NYI - RW)
    19. (228) Ondrej Palat (TB - LW)
    20. (229) Max Domi (Mon - C,LW)
    21. (252) Keith Kinkaid (NJ - G)
    22. (253) Ryan McDonagh (TB - D)
    23. (276) Adam Henrique (Anh - C)
    24. (277) Kyle Okposo (Buf - RW)
    25. (300) Danton Heinen (Bos - LW,RW)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Kudos to Brandon - I believe that's the finest autodraft roster I've ever seen, particularly given the competition in this league.

For me, my key was to avoid a couple of 'category killers' that doomed me last year (SOGs and PPPs). Otherwise I had a number of players I specifically targeted for their category coverage going into the draft and I'm happy to say a good many of them fell in my lap. I should have a competitive team with balance and some young guys that could deliver on their upside.

C: Trocheck, Larkin, Toews, M.Backlund, Pettersson
    L: Benn (L/C), Pacioretty, DuBois (L/C), Lucic, Greenway, Zykov (R/L)
    R: Voracek, Wilson, Neal, Tuch, J.Anderson
    D: Gostisbehere, Barrie, Petry, Trouba, Chabot, Green
    G: Andersen, Raanta, Markstrom
    2012 DobberHockey Hall of Fame - Player's Category

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by LordoftheRinks View Post
    Kudos to Brandon - I believe that's the finest autodraft roster I've ever seen, particularly given the competition in this league.
    Thanks. It was hard work so glad it paid off, on paper at least. Every day going through it was like "oh, have to move this guy up/down" or "that position should be higher" or "I think I should get him around here" etc. Most importantly was "I better make sure I don't miss out on goalies!"

Looking through a few of the teams (yours included) and I see well constructed teams. Good competition for sure - should be an interesting season!

The Wolverine

It worked last year, so my team name is very similar, thanks to having Monahan on my squad this year:

Han's Labyrinth

Dobber Sports Initiate

Some thoughts on my draft, Holypuck:

R1-1. Mcdavid - Am an Oil fan and have never had Mc-D on my team so took the opportunity, O-V is probably the better pick here with the cats and LW vs C, but maybe a bad cup let down season?

R2-12. Buff - Wanted a top Dman and goalie with my 2/3 picks, as by the time draft snakes around next most tier 1 level guys will be gone, maybe a bit early for Buff though. Stamkos and Matthews were enticing but another C after Mc-D in R1 probably wouldn't be smart. The one minute on b2b picks is proving a bit stressful!

R3-1. Rinne, as stated above waiting another round wouldn't leave much for goalies i feared.

R4-12. Johnny hockey, not a multi cat guy which will likely hurt me, but just couldn't say no

R5-1 Couture, this was a mistake, had him in my que list and and thought i clicked on draft Kopitar. Kessel would have been preferred over Couture as well. Looking back, how my Goalies look, another G may have been the way to go, likely Talbot.

R6-12. With Goalies now dwindling, panicked a bit and took Schneider, i didn't quite realize his injury situation, the last thing i though i had read stated he was going to be playing in some pre-season games, but that may be optimistic...

R7-1 Draisaitl. My Oiler bias rears its head again. I hadn't picked a RW yet and Dre looked like the best RW avail.

R8-12 Saros. Could be a costly mistake, the watch list que got me again, was running out of time and had another player highlighted and thought it would select them but forgot it defaulted to the watchlist, which I had Saros in because of the Rinne pick earlier. Could have probably taken Saros rnd 14-15. SO through 8 rounds, mis-picked twice, total newb mistakes!! Think I wanted Hoffman or P.Luc-Dubois.

R9-R1- Keller, looking at my roster so far realized maybe i should just punt the HITS cat, so went small again with Keller as there weren't many 70+pt potential wingers left

R10-12. K Connor, Similar thinking to my Keller pick here I guess, good scoring winger, should have good +/- hopefully good PPP

R11-1. McAvoy, i think the Yahoo rankings messed with me a bit, i had only taken 1 dman thus far and wanted to grab one, McAvoy may not prove to be a great pick here though, lack of PP time is worrisome

R12-12 M.Stone, still had some RW space, hopefully Ottawa isn't to atrocious and Stone can put together a good season, contract year as well i believe...

R13-1 Toffoli, another solid winger, hoping he maybe "breaks through" to a higher level this year. Was thinking of a Dman here like Montour or Klefbom, Nugent-Hopkins was tempting as well, but that maybe would have been too many Oiler F's, RNH could be big with Mc-D though....

R14-12 Gourde, his yahoo ranking swayed me again i believe, another tiny no hit player, will do well to repeat his last season, not to thrilled with this selection, Trouba or Oshie may have been better picks

R15-1 Dell, can't recall if this was a mistake or not, probably a couple rounds too early for Dell especially since i don't own Jones...

R16-12 N Patrick, hopefully taking a higher upside pick here, had some some room at C still

R17-1 Svechnikov, same thought as Patrick, maybe E.Pettersson would have been smarter....

Rest of the draft filled in my team with some decent all-around dman, maybe covering up a bit of my lack of hits. Overall happy to have Mcdavid but think my team has some major weaknesses in hits and goaltending. If Schneider isn't healthy i could be near the bottom goalie cats. Looking at the other rosters, not too optimistic of being a title contender in this league
    12 Team H2H - 3C/3LW/3RW/4D/4BN
    G,A,PPP,PIM,+-,SOG,SHP
    W,GAA,SV%,SO