Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: Serena Williams

  1. #1
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Legend

    Default Serena Williams

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiBrForlj-k

    I don't know if people saw the full highlights, but this was a great video of how it started and ended.

    In my eyes, Tennis does have sexism issues. But Serena was being such a baby and was clearly taking her frustrations out on the ref. The announcers got caught up saying it was "thief" that caused the 3rd violation, but to me it was when she threatened his job (never ref on my court again) that was the "if you say one more thing to me you're in trouble".

    Honestly, I can't believe Serena would do this. She can't handle not winning it seems. And Serena to say "This happens every time I play this tournament". At what point does she look in the mirror?

    Rules are the Rules, and she broke them.
    12 team, H2H, 6 keeper league (Keepers in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, +/-, PPP, PIM, FW
    W, GAA, S%, Saves
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G

    C: Eichel, Pettersson, Kopitar,
    LW: Marchand, Marchessault (C), Tatar (LW)
    RW: Marner, Wilson, Strome (C)
    D: Carlson, Barrie, Makar, Theodore, Pietrangelo
    G: Andersen, Halak, Samsanov
    IR: Dubnyk

  2. #2
    PrairieDog's Avatar
    PrairieDog is offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,689
    Location
    A Pale Blue Dot
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Icon

    Default Re: Serena Williams

    Give her a freaking participation ribbon. There you go, now you got your prize too.

    My god, sexism? The person who won was a woman. Can't cry racism because she's not Caucasian, and neither was the umpire. Imagine if one of them was.

    Maybe it's just not her time anymore?

  3. #3
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Legend

    Default Re: Serena Williams

    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Give a freaking participation ribbon. There you go, now you got your prize too.

    My god, sexism? The person who won was a woman. Can't cry racism because she's not Caucasian, and neither was the umpire. Imagine if one of them was.

    Maybe it's just not her time anymore?
    She was screaming sexism at the fact, in her eyes, the ref didn't like getting yelled at/shown-up by a female because he wouldn't have given her warnings and such if she was a man yelling at him.

    I do think she took the opponents amazing win away from her, but the issue is between her and the ref. The opponent had nothing to do with her (again in Serena's eyes) explosion. I think this part is kinda getting lost in the world. Serena doesn't have an issue with her opponent, it's between her and the reffing in Tennis and how it can be viewed as sexist.

    To me, yeah, tennis has crazy dated views. But what transpired in the video, you can't blame sexism as the reason.
    12 team, H2H, 6 keeper league (Keepers in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, +/-, PPP, PIM, FW
    W, GAA, S%, Saves
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G

    C: Eichel, Pettersson, Kopitar,
    LW: Marchand, Marchessault (C), Tatar (LW)
    RW: Marner, Wilson, Strome (C)
    D: Carlson, Barrie, Makar, Theodore, Pietrangelo
    G: Andersen, Halak, Samsanov
    IR: Dubnyk

  4. #4
    Rep Power
    40

    Dobber Sports Samurai

    Default Re: Serena Williams

    Wow... Serena should watch this video and see how rediculous she looks and acted. It is probably something she should have left alone until after the match.

    If anyone owes anyone an apology... I think its the other way around.

    I guess when you are the best its always hard to lose.

  5. #5
    mounD's Avatar
    mounD is offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    8,483
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Giant

    Default Re: Serena Williams

    Whether she acted ridiculously isn't really the larger point. The criticism leveled on her, relative to other folks in tennis (read: white males) who exhibit this same type of behavior regularly, is the problem. Until there are equal degrees of criticism for white men and black women, we have a racism problem in sports. Period. Full stop.

    I certainly don't recall the outcry against folks like Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, etc. for their tantrums (which are also well-documented). And I seem to remember a certain John McEnroe being remembered and lauded as some kind of hero, when in reality he was a buffoon and not even 1/10th of the ambassador for the sport, let alone role model of the Williams sisters.

    This thread is pretty shameful. Unless of course you want to make a thread like this every time a white guy does the same thing. Spoiler alert: you're going to be very busy. Check your privilege and racial bias, please.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

    10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

    C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

    Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

  6. #6
    renello's Avatar
    renello is online now
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    430
    Rep Power
    9

    Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

    Default Re: Serena Williams

    Wow. Not how I see it at all. I put full and complete blame on the umpire. You call a coaching violation in a grand slam final? Really? Breaking the racket, no big deal, common place. I watched Osaka bang her racket in the same match too but it didn't break. The butt hurt umpire forced things off the rails. Sure Serena was getting beat but she quite commonly starts off poorly and gathers steam. That game penalty all but assured the final outcome. No this is not on Serena, in fact I found her composure quite amazing. She has had a lifetime of breaking down barriers and she was brave to stand up to that umpire. An umpire who didn't even give the Serena a warning. She defended herself in front of millions and her closest friends. I have seen way worse from men for sure. The worst she said was "thief". Wow. Very sorry that Osaka didn't get to celebrate like she should have but then it was a white moron umpire that slid this match off the rails for two women of color and great champions.
    9 Owner Keepers. Keep 10
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G 6-Res 3-IR

    NWO League
    C: Scheifele, Mathews, Zibanejad, Kadri
    RW: Svechnikov(l,r), Buchnevich, Konecny(c,r), Lebanc (l,r), Armia
    LW: Landeskog(c,l), Guentzel, Hertl(c,l) Panarin,
    D: Subban, Letang, Hamilton, Nurse, Hronek, Spurgeon, Niskanen, Pulock, Montour
    G: Bobrovsky, Price, Rittich, Lehner
    ELITE League

    C: Mathews, Tavares, Horvat, PLD, Rakell(c,l,r)
    RW: Pastranak, Meier(l,r), Wheeler, Silverberg
    LW: Ovechkin, Benn(c,l), Connor, J. Miller(l,r)
    D: Karlsson, Letang, Montour, Nurse, spurgeon, Suter, Chychrun, Dunn
    G: MAF, Jones, Koskinen, Hutton

  7. #7
    Rylant's Avatar
    Rylant is online now
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,280
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Expert

    Default Re: Serena Williams

    I am a huge tennis fan, and I have watched for years. There is SO much wrong with this entire situation, on both sides. First of all as most have said, she was acting horribly. This entire thing started because she got a code violation for receiving coaching. She insists she wasn't receiving coaching, and went ON and ON about it. Ridiculously, her coach came out afterwards and flat out said that he was coaching her. So, she was arguing she wasn't receiving coaching, when she actually was, and that is the overall subject of this entire incident.

    To note, EVERYONE receives coaching this way, and it is never penalized unless it is completely over the top and obvious, which this one really wasn't. I will say, I have watched thousands of hours of tennis in my life, and I think I have only seen a handful of violations for coaching.

    Now, despite the fact that Serena was acting like a spoiled brat, she is right in the sense that no man would ever be given a code violation at that point. I have seen men get away with far worse and never get called for anything. Nick Kyrgios is a master at coasting on the line of what will and what will not be called, and he pushes it on a regular basis.

    To me, Serena needs to relax. Tennis needs to either punish coaching, or let it happen. Calling it once every couple of years puts it at the consistency level of the NHL and doling out suspensions. The men and the women really need to be treated equally. Women shouldn't be penalized for something that men aren't penalized for. Again, consistency. There are also several other differences between the men's and women's games, and I am fine with them making them the same across the board.

    Rylant

  8. #8
    renello's Avatar
    renello is online now
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    430
    Rep Power
    9

    Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

    Default Re: Serena Williams

    Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    I am a huge tennis fan, and I have watched for years. There is SO much wrong with this entire situation, on both sides. First of all as most have said, she was acting horribly. This entire thing started because she got a code violation for receiving coaching. She insists she wasn't receiving coaching, and went ON and ON about it. Ridiculously, her coach came out afterwards and flat out said that he was coaching her. So, she was arguing she wasn't receiving coaching, when she actually was, and that is the overall subject of this entire incident.

    To note, EVERYONE receives coaching this way, and it is never penalized unless it is completely over the top and obvious, which this one really wasn't. I will say, I have watched thousands of hours of tennis in my life, and I think I have only seen a handful of violations for coaching.

    Now, despite the fact that Serena was acting like a spoiled brat, she is right in the sense that no man would ever be given a code violation at that point. I have seen men get away with far worse and never get called for anything. Nick Kyrgios is a master at coasting on the line of what will and what will not be called, and he pushes it on a regular basis.

    To me, Serena needs to relax. Tennis needs to either punish coaching, or let it happen. Calling it once every couple of years puts it at the consistency level of the NHL and doling out suspensions. The men and the women really need to be treated equally. Women shouldn't be penalized for something that men aren't penalized for. Again, consistency. There are also several other differences between the men's and women's games, and I am fine with them making them the same across the board.

    Rylant
    This. I would lose my shit if this was me. Grand slam final and this is called. Pretty tough to judge someone's reaction when it goes to the very core of racism and sexism.
    9 Owner Keepers. Keep 10
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G 6-Res 3-IR

    NWO League
    C: Scheifele, Mathews, Zibanejad, Kadri
    RW: Svechnikov(l,r), Buchnevich, Konecny(c,r), Lebanc (l,r), Armia
    LW: Landeskog(c,l), Guentzel, Hertl(c,l) Panarin,
    D: Subban, Letang, Hamilton, Nurse, Hronek, Spurgeon, Niskanen, Pulock, Montour
    G: Bobrovsky, Price, Rittich, Lehner
    ELITE League

    C: Mathews, Tavares, Horvat, PLD, Rakell(c,l,r)
    RW: Pastranak, Meier(l,r), Wheeler, Silverberg
    LW: Ovechkin, Benn(c,l), Connor, J. Miller(l,r)
    D: Karlsson, Letang, Montour, Nurse, spurgeon, Suter, Chychrun, Dunn
    G: MAF, Jones, Koskinen, Hutton

  9. #9
    Rylant's Avatar
    Rylant is online now
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,280
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Expert

    Default Re: Serena Williams

    Quote Originally Posted by renello View Post
    This. I would lose my shit if this was me. Grand slam final and this is called. Pretty tough to judge someone's reaction when it goes to the very core of racism and sexism.
    There is no question to me that Serena was receiving treatment that most men in her position would never receive. To me, that is wrong. Not to excuse how she was behaving; I would prefer her to be more professional in these situations. She has always been like this. With her, I am not sure she could separate this. It is who she is and a part of the reason she is SO successful and will go down, as the greatest female tennis player of all time. She has passion and fire which drives her to success again and again. Sometimes, it gets her in trouble.

    I would like to also point out, one of the biggest issues I have with this entire incident, is what it took from Naomi Osaka. Let's be real here, without this incident, Williams wasn't going to win anyway. Osaka was just that good. Coming out of this, her first Grand Slam Championship (it won't be her last), and all everyone is talking about, is Serena. That's such a shame. I have to give Serena a lot of credit, because after the match, she implored the crowd to stop booing and tried to focus on how well Osaka played, and suggested that this shouldn't be about her at the time. It's just so sad that this had to taint the really impressive run of Naomi Osaka.

    Rylant

  10. #10
    saucelife90's Avatar
    saucelife90 is online now
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,270
    Location
    Canada
    Rep Power
    19

    Dobber Sports Ace

    Default Re: Serena Williams

    The judge was Portuguese...

  11. #11
    bondon's Avatar
    bondon is online now
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    15,778
    Rep Power
    40

    Dobber Sports Ninja

    Default Re: Serena Williams

    Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    I would like to also point out, one of the biggest issues I have with this entire incident, is what it took from Naomi Osaka. Let's be real here, without this incident, Williams wasn't going to win anyway. Osaka was just that good. Coming out of this, her first Grand Slam Championship (it won't be her last), and all everyone is talking about, is Serena. That's such a shame. I have to give Serena a lot of credit, because after the match, she implored the crowd to stop booing and tried to focus on how well Osaka played, and suggested that this shouldn't be about her at the time. It's just so sad that this had to taint the really impressive run of Naomi Osaka.
    I have to say that I agree with points on both sides of the argument presented by both camps, but I just wanted to talk about this a little bit. Like yes, she did tell people to stop booing, but there was a shitload of grandstanding and deep sighs and all the shit about I know you were rooting and I was rooting too. She essentially was stealing from the moment. Instead of making it about Naomi Osaka she was making it about herself.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!


  12. #12
    Location
    Canada
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Monster

    Default Re: Serena Williams

    Serena is a professional athlete and a champion at that. Amasador of the sport. There is a time and a place for this and having a complete melt down and temper tantrum during the match was not the right time or place. period! Hard Stop. Criticize the Ref’s decisions but all of which were well within the rules of the sport (rather tournament) ... a sport which severely lacks an governing body. Did he have to call “coaching”? No, but he did and it’s in the rules. Did she have to smash her racket? No, but she did and it’s in the rules. Did he have to call the third “verbal abuse of official” foul? No, but it’s In The rules. Did she have to go at him relentlessly during the match so much so that she herself said “well then don’t talk to me”... then seconds later continued in on him, no, but she choose to.

    Her actions are as much to be critiqued as anyone’s.. difference is, that ref isn’t an amabasador for his role. She’s supposed to be and that’s embarrassing.

    Time and a place. That’s as NOT the time not the place.
    Team:
    2x[B]C - Tavares, Matthews, Malkin Getzlaf, Kadri, Suzuki
    2xL - Hall, Tkachuk,, Johnsson (RW) Neal (RW) Killorn (RW)
    2xR - Kucherov, Marner (RW), Palmeri, Lebanc (LW)
    4xD - Karlsson, OEL, Josi, Letang, Suter, Faulk,
    2xG - Andersen, Rinne, Quick, Reimer
    2x[B]Util - x2
    12 Team Keeper league with Yahoo

    Roster (14 Kept Players): 2C,2LW,2RW,4D,2G,2Util
    SEASON SCORING: 3C,3LW,3RW,5D,1U,2G
    (Weighted Category Points: see below).

    Skaters -
    (Points: G a/o A) 6
    (+/-) 3
    (PIM) 1
    (PPP) 5
    (GWG) 5

    Goaltenders
    Wins 5
    Goals against -9
    Saves 1
    Shutout 10

  13. #13
    Location
    Canada
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Monster

    Default Re: Serena Williams

    Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    I have to say that I agree with points on both sides of the argument presented by both camps, but I just wanted to talk about this a little bit. Like yes, she did tell people to stop booing, but there was a shitload of grandstanding and deep sighs and all the shit about I know you were rooting and I was rooting too. She essentially was stealing from the moment. Instead of making it about Naomi Osaka she was making it about herself.
    She Kanya’d that moment away from a young athlete that idolized her. She has a greater responsibility to the sport. To little to late during the trophy presentation.
    Team:
    2x[B]C - Tavares, Matthews, Malkin Getzlaf, Kadri, Suzuki
    2xL - Hall, Tkachuk,, Johnsson (RW) Neal (RW) Killorn (RW)
    2xR - Kucherov, Marner (RW), Palmeri, Lebanc (LW)
    4xD - Karlsson, OEL, Josi, Letang, Suter, Faulk,
    2xG - Andersen, Rinne, Quick, Reimer
    2x[B]Util - x2
    12 Team Keeper league with Yahoo

    Roster (14 Kept Players): 2C,2LW,2RW,4D,2G,2Util
    SEASON SCORING: 3C,3LW,3RW,5D,1U,2G
    (Weighted Category Points: see below).

    Skaters -
    (Points: G a/o A) 6
    (+/-) 3
    (PIM) 1
    (PPP) 5
    (GWG) 5

    Goaltenders
    Wins 5
    Goals against -9
    Saves 1
    Shutout 10

  14. #14
    Zorro's Avatar
    Zorro is offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20,087
    Location
    Canada
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

    Default Re: Serena Williams

    I feel bad for Osaka here.. Serena lost it and then kept going and going..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

  15. #15
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Legend

    Default Re: Serena Williams

    I'm glad I posted this, as it's been a civil discussion so far. Should point that out to everyone! well done.

    From what I see in tennis, and I typically on watch the men highlights, but they seem to get the one warning and get their monies worth in that one argument. Then tend to stop. Serena does her argument and the ref lets it, then she keeps going back and saying things, albeit not swearing or yelling, but arguing. Ref at one point even tried to say something to her and she said "I'm not talking to you" then follows it up 15s later with either a Thief comment again or "You're never reffing on my court again I'll tell you that". I think it was the constant arguing (again tho, not yelling, just arguing) that was it for the ref.

    Does anyone have a video of what the coach was doing all game? Serena admitted to "yes i did get coached, I'm sorry" or something along the lines there and she seemed content with that call, it was the stuff after that triggered her.
    12 team, H2H, 6 keeper league (Keepers in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, +/-, PPP, PIM, FW
    W, GAA, S%, Saves
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G

    C: Eichel, Pettersson, Kopitar,
    LW: Marchand, Marchessault (C), Tatar (LW)
    RW: Marner, Wilson, Strome (C)
    D: Carlson, Barrie, Makar, Theodore, Pietrangelo
    G: Andersen, Halak, Samsanov
    IR: Dubnyk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •