Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trading of Draft Picks - Dynasty League

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Trading of Draft Picks - Dynasty League

Hi guys,

We’re off and running. I feel like the starters gun has gone off, but I’m still at the start line tying my shoelaces.

One thing that came up that should be dealt with right away is trading of draft picks.

As it is a dynasty league, you should be allowed to keep ALL your players if you want. I know that isn’t in the rules that are out there, but IT’S A DYNASTY LEAGUE, what the hell was I thinking putting restrictions on how many players you can keep?

What I see happening is that you can draft the number of players you don\'t protect. So if you protect 20, then you can draft 5, provided you are within the cap restrictions. If you protect 22, then you get 3 draft picks. I see this as a logical method. I am going to call it a “flex draft” (no not in honour of flex raid!).

The catch is, if you trade a draft pick, you are going to have to drop that many players. If you trade someone a 5th round pick, then you would HAVE to drop 5 players!

Does anyone object to this? I don’t want to get into a great debate, but if this isn’t clarified NOW, then we ARE going to have issues with it soon.

Now watch Yahoo expand the rosters to 30 players next year (please, please, please!).

Thanks guys,

The Comish
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Apprentice

The Comish wrote:
    Hi guys,

We’re off and running. I feel like the starters gun has gone off, but I’m still at the start line tying my shoelaces.

One thing that came up that should be dealt with right away is trading of draft picks.

As it is a dynasty league, you should be allowed to keep ALL your players if you want. I know that isn’t in the rules that are out there, but IT’S A DYNASTY LEAGUE, what the hell was I thinking putting restrictions on how many players you can keep?

What I see happening is that you can draft the number of players you don\'t protect. So if you protect 20, then you can draft 5, provided you are within the cap restrictions. If you protect 22, then you get 3 draft picks. I see this as a logical method. I am going to call it a “flex draft” (no not in honour of flex raid!).

The catch is, if you trade a draft pick, you are going to have to drop that many players. If you trade someone a 5th round pick, then you would HAVE to drop 5 players!

Does anyone object to this? I don’t want to get into a great debate, but if this isn’t clarified NOW, then we ARE going to have issues with it soon.

Now watch Yahoo expand the rosters to 30 players next year (please, please, please!).

Thanks guys,

The Comish
    yes, unless you also trade your 3rd(example) then you only need to draft 4 players...
    (you traded your 3rd and 5th meaning you pickup 1st, 2nd, 4th and 6th)

In other words, you HAVE to USE the pick AFTER the LATEST pick you traded. (that\'s how we formulate it in my other Dynasty.)

That\'s what you mean right?

Dobber Sports Ninja

That\'s not what I meant, but I don\'t think this is going to be the issue I thought it was.

We all get 5 rounds of draft picks. We don\'t HAVE to use any of them, we can pass in any given round or trade the pick to someone who is stockpiling picks.

Sorry guys, I now see this as a non-issue. Too many late nights...time for bed!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

The Magnificent One

as this issue i think is still unclear can we can an understanding.

if i trade my 1st pick or my 4th pick do i need to drop players? i would just think we keep what we have and no need to draft. so if i move my 4th pick why would i need to drop 4 players? where am i going to redraft those then?
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Ninja

I\'ll try to make this as clear as I can (sometimes I can be confusing!). All you need to know is that if you have five draft picks, regardless of which round, you can \"protect\" or \"keep\" only 20 players, thereby freeing up 5 positions for those five draft picks.

I think my initial post was done after many hours of racking the brain over hockey pool rules! Let me know if it\'s still not clear.

Dobber Sports Ace

So if you have 4 draft picks you can protect 21? Are you required to use all of the draft picks you own?
    12 team roto with 6 keepers, G A P +/- PIM PPP SOG, W SV% SHO
    C-Crosby Spezza Connolly
    L-Smyth Rolston Malone Sullivan
    R-Hemsky Ryan Ryder Backes Fleischmann Cleary
    D-Phaneuf Rafalski Whitney Pitkanen
    G-Lundqvist Bryzgalov Theodore Rinne

Dobber Sports Ninja

Anonymous wrote:
    So if you have 4 draft picks you can protect 21? Are you required to use all of the draft picks you own?
    You are not required to use any of your draft picks. If you intend on using your draft picks, then heading into the draft, you will need to free up as many roster spots as you want to draft.

So if you own 4 draft picks and you want to use them all, you have to go into the draft with 21 or less players on your roster AND be under $1000 WITH your drafted players factored into the equation.

I realize that we could just drop players as we pick them up, but I envision all sorts of tracking problems for The Comish. If someone makes their pick and needs to make a drop, but doesn\'t do so right away and then the next two guys make their picks and one of them didn\'t make their drop, then I spend the entire draft hassling guys for drops instead of participating in the draft as a G.M.

I intend on asking for people\'s protected lists sometime after the free agent signing period opens in July or August at the latest. I\'ll ask twice, in case some players are being dropped that you didn\'t expect and then we\'ll start drafting. Details will be worked on during the playoffs and sent out before the end of them.

Dobber Sports Star

The Comish wrote:
    I\'ll try to make this as clear as I can (sometimes I can be confusing!). All you need to know is that if you have five draft picks, regardless of which round, you can \"protect\" or \"keep\" only 20 players, thereby freeing up 5 positions for those five draft picks.

I think my initial post was done after many hours of racking the brain over hockey pool rules! Let me know if it\'s still not clear.
    I think it\'s the wording that confusing everyone.... you need to \"keep\" at LEAST 20 players, unless you have fewer picks than you have to keep at least 25 - # of draft picks amount of players.
    [color=#008000]24 Team / 3 Tier Roto League
    G|A|+/-|PIM|PPP|SOG|Hits|BS
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1
    C: Tavares, Duchene, JStaal, Marner, Grigorenko, Dubois, Barzal
    LW: Landeskog, Teravainen, Pearson, Wilson, Pulkkinen, Bittner
    RW: PKane, Gaborik, Virtanen, Rantanen, Stewart, Sprong, Chiasson, Vey
    D: OEL, Barrie, Bogosian, Larsson, McNabb, Oduya, Bigras
    G: Bobrovsky, Korpisalo, Hutton, Hellberg

Dobber Sports Guru

i think newper (and now me!) is confused about the following:

if you trade a draft pick, is it considered to be \"used\" and therefore requires you to drop as many players as you would if you were using that pick yourself?

example: he trades his 4th pick, and does not intend on using his 5th pick. does he:

a) drop 4 guys from his team (protect 21), or

b) drop 3 players from his team, because HE will only be using his first 3 picks while someone else uses his 4th.

in the first situation, he would protect 21, draft 3 in the normal draft, and then be left with 1 spot to fill after the draft is completed.

problem with the 2nd option is that draft picks become almost a free resource... if i\'m not planning on drafting anybody then i might as well just trade away every pick i have.

Dobber Sports Guru

my understanding was that if i trade my 5th pick, then i\'d be forced to drop 5 players from my team. correct or not?

Dobber Sports Giant

ultrawhiteness wrote:
    my understanding was that if i trade my 5th pick, then i\'d be forced to drop 5 players from my team. correct or not?
    I remember a discussion about we already had in the past about this whole thing and it was pretty much clear that you can do whatever you want with you draft picks and you just have to free spots for the draft picks you\'re planning to use? What\'s wrong with dealing your 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks if you\'re not planning to use them?

Am I right Russ?

Dobber Sports Stud

i understand it the same as Chic

Dobber Sports Guru

alright, i get it now. thanks dudes!

Dobber Sports Giant

ultrawhiteness wrote:
    alright, i get it now. thanks dudes!
    NP buddy! However, let\'s hear what Russ has to say.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Chicleteur wrote:
    I remember a discussion about we already had in the past about this whole thing and it was pretty much clear that you can do whatever you want with you draft picks and you just have to free spots for the draft picks you\'re planning to use? What\'s wrong with dealing your 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks if you\'re not planning to use them?

Am I right Russ?
    Bingo! You and Chinny are correct on this.