Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Panarin vs Gaudreau?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Panarin vs Gaudreau?

G, A, PPP, shots, hits, PIM

Looking at the stat lines for the past couple of years, Panarin seems to have been more consistent and scores more goals; but otherwise they are pretty much identical. However, on most sites (including here), Gudreau is ranked higher than Panarin. Who would you take straight up between the 2 and how wide of a gap is it between them?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Panarin vs Gaudreau?

In a one year I'd take Panarin. Gap is small though.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Gaudreau and it's not close at all. In fact, I take Gaudreau before Crosby now.
    10 team dynasty (salary cap), start every week 12 fowards, 6 defenses and 2 goalies
    Fowards: G, A
    Defense: G, A, short handed time (0,25 pt / 2 min)
    Goalies: W 2 pt, OT lost 1pt, Shootout lost 1pt, shutout 1pt

F: Gaudreau, Matthews, Malkin, Eichel, Fiala, Zibanejad, Pavelski, Rust, Nelson, Suzuki, Eriksson Ek, Sharangovich
    D: Karlsson, Josi, Heiskanen, Montour, Theodore, Ekholm
    G: Sorokin, Bobrovsky
    Bench: Skinner, Mittelstadt, Couture, RyJo, Lehkonen, Coyle, Yamamoto, Barbashev, DeBrusk, Coronato, Luostarinen, Provorov, Lindell, Spurgeon, Orlov, Korchinski, Fleury, Samsonov, Blackwood, Husso, Vejmelka, Ersson
    Farm: Snuggerud, Miroshnichenko, But, Brisson, Rosen

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Muir View Post
    In points only I can see how Gaudreau and Crosby would be close... but not in any other format. Why are you so high on him?

Dobber Sports Pro

Extremely close but gun on the head, I’ll go Panarin
    League 1
    10 team, Dynasty, points only, 30 players, keep20 starts 12 F, 6 D, 2G , unlimited prospects(can keep them max 5 years)
    F: Mackinnon,Marner, Panarin, Eichel, Fiala, Hughes, Svechnikov, Robertson, Bratt, Kuznetsov, Hischier, B.Tkachuk, M.Tkachuk, Scheifele, Wheeler, Jenner, Drouin, Tatar, Colton
    D:Hughes, Hamilton, Karlsson, Dunn, Burns, Theodore, Slavin, Trouba G: Shesterkin, Binnington, Vanecek
    League2
    Cap league (82.5M with AAV), points only, 12 teams, keep 7, (9F, 4D, 2G)
    F: Hughes, Zuccarello,RNH, Marchessault, Scheifele, Toffoli, O’Reilly, Trocheck, Buchnevich extra: Marchenko
    D: Makar, Dahlin, Seider, Andersson
    G: Hellebuyck, Talbot

Quote Originally Posted by Terministo125 View Post
    In points only I can see how Gaudreau and Crosby would be close... but not in any other format. Why are you so high on him?
    I watch this kid closely from 3 years now and 90 points is now his floor (100+ his celling). In point only, I think he is right after McDavid and Kucherov and he is still improving. You are right that he will never provide nothing in the other categories...but I don't think Crosby is a beast in PIM and hit neither? To be honest, I am not used to work with thoses categories but I'm assuming that a 100 points players will always be better than a 75 points (Panarin) who can provides some extras with the categories? Sorry if I am wrong and give an non accurate opinion.
    10 team dynasty (salary cap), start every week 12 fowards, 6 defenses and 2 goalies

F: Gaudreau, Matthews, Malkin, Eichel, Fiala, Zibanejad, Pavelski, Rust, Nelson, Suzuki, Eriksson Ek, Sharangovich
    Bench: Skinner, Mittelstadt, Couture, RyJo, Lehkonen, Coyle, Yamamoto, Barbashev, DeBrusk, Coronato, Luostarinen, Provorov, Lindell, Spurgeon, Orlov, Korchinski, Fleury, Samsonov, Blackwood, Husso, Vejmelka, Ersson

Dobber Sports Padawan

Johnny G

Dobber Sports Padawan

I actually seen that trade go down before. In a keep all , not straight up but the main pieces.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I watch this kid closely from 3 years now and 90 points is now his floor (100+ his celling). In point only, I think he is right after McDavid and Kucherov and he is still improving. You are right that he will never provide nothing in the other categories...but I don't think Crosby is a beast in PIM and hit neither? To be honest, I am not used to work with thoses categories but I'm assuming that a 100 points players will always be better than a 75 points (Panarin) who can provides some extras with the categories? Sorry if I am wrong and give an non accurate opinion.
    Even in multicat, 100 points is always better than 75 (maybe unless it's Ovi peripherals lol).

Dobber Sports Stud

I prefer Gaudreau too - but that's admittedly with the expectation of an uptick for him and same-stats-to-slight-downtick for Panarin this year.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by YzermansLegacy View Post
    I prefer Gaudreau too - but that's admittedly with the expectation of an uptick for him and same-stats-to-slight-downtick for Panarin this year.
    I like this. Gaudreau for me as well.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Don’t get me wrong I’m a fan of Gaudreau, but I’m surprised you think 90 points is suddenly his floor when he just hit 80 for the first time last season. Sure, he is young and could get to that range at some point, but aside from the spike last season guys just aren’t hitting 90 pts, much less 100 that often in recent years. If you look back at the last few seasons it’s often just one or two guys with 90+. Heck Benn lead the league with “just” 87 pts in 2014-15.

Crosby has been just under or above (some years well above) a 90 pt. pace his whole career. He’s not exactly declining quickly and I don’t expect him too. To each their own but no way can I put Gaudreau ahead of Crosby in any setup. As you add categories (hits, PPP, FOW for example) it only further swings in Crosby’s favor. I think he might have a big season coming up.

Now looking at Gaudreau vs Panarin however, it feels really close. Very similar numbers last season. Both are crappy in hits/blocks but provide decent and similar shot totals, and both have hovered around 20 PPP.

I feel both have similar upsides as well, but I’ll go with Gaudreau here.

Quote Originally Posted by RevRath View Post
    Don’t get me wrong I’m a fan of Gaudreau, but I’m surprised you think 90 points is suddenly his floor when he just hit 80 for the first time last season. Sure, he is young and could get to that range at some point, but aside from the spike last season guys just aren’t hitting 90 pts, much less 100 that often in recent years. If you look back at the last few seasons it’s often just one or two guys with 90+. Heck Benn lead the league with “just” 87 pts in 2014-15.

Crosby has been just under or above (some years well above) a 90 pt. pace his whole career. He’s not exactly declining quickly and I don’t expect him too. To each their own but no way can I put Gaudreau ahead of Crosby in any setup. As you add categories (hits, PPP, FOW for example) it only further swings in Crosby’s favor. I think he might have a big season coming up.

Now looking at Gaudreau vs Panarin however, it feels really close. Very similar numbers last season. Both are crappy in hits/blocks but provide decent and similar shot totals, and both have hovered around 20 PPP.

I feel both have similar upsides as well, but I’ll go with Gaudreau here.
    You are not the only one who is suprised by my predictions for Gaudreau (I am alone in my league who value him that much...so I am used to that, it's okay). But I will explain my toughts:

Two years ago, he was having a very goog year when he get slash on his hand (with a broken finger I think) and never be able to regain his swag after that.

Last year, he was on pace for a 90 points season (even with Monahan playing hurt and missing many games) when a drama in his family kept him away and when he came back, he was a lot less effective and I doubt he was worried about his dad health and not fully focus on his game. He still manage to get 84 points in 80 games. Without that event, I am pretty sur he would have reach 90 points.

So yes, barring injury or major distraction, I think he will alway reach 90 points minimum for years to come and he is still improving, so 100+ is not impossible. I know it's a lot of points, but I am listing Gaudreau right behind McDavid and Kucherov in point only.

The Great One

Both are nearly equally lousy in multi-cat, but I'm going with Panarin after seeing him enter supernova territory in the last quarter of 2017-18.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Both are nearly equally lousy in multi-cat, but I'm going with Panarin after seeing him enter supernova territory in the last quarter of 2017-18.
    I just read your two articles after seeing this post for Cage Match "Gaudreau v. Hall" and "Panarin v. Wheeler" (very good articles btw) and realized just how close even their underlying numbers are and how you said that both are putting up sustainable numbers / have room to grow (not to mention that Panarin will be entering the magical 4th year).

I get that their peripheral stats are pretty lousy (maybe aside from shots), but would you still consider them as a bad option in multi-cat formats? I'm normally one to select lower scoring / high peripheral guys instead of these type of players, but would they not still be worth a late 3rd / early 4th in a 12 team league?