Thread: Rank These Goalies! - Part 2

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Rank These Goalies! - Part 2

Looking for rankings and/or early-round draft strategy advice ahead of my draft next week. This thread is a continuation of a recent one I started (https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...-These-Goalies!).

Scenario:
    -- Quality starters are pretty scarce in my league. 12 will be kept this year -- only 6 of the 18 goalies Dobber has listed as Tier 1 and 2 will be available. The rest will be Tier 3 or worse
    -- Since they account for 4 of 11 scoring categories, it is imperative that you have 2-3 quality starters in this league if you are going to compete.
    -- I have 1 keeper goalie (Vasilekskiy), and the following picks: 9, 21, 39, 48, 49, 59, 69, 89, 99, 109, 112, and 119.
    -- 5 other GMs will enter the draft with just 1 goalie, while 1 other will enter with 0. As a result, I expect that these 5 GMs will draft 6~ goalies before I make my third pick at #39.
    -- Those 6 GMs will pick 4 times before my 1st pick at #9, another 6 times before my 2nd pick at #21, and another 11 times before my third pick at #39.
    -- Historically, goalies get picked early. Often a run begins in round 2.
    -- All these factors tell me that I really need to pick a goalie at #9 or #21.

Here are the top 10 goalies available, with their Dobber 'tier' ranking in brackets. How would you rank them, and who would you be targeting with either pick?

Rinne (1)
    Rask (1)
    Raanta (2)
    Bishop (2)
    Smith (2)
    Talbot (2)
    Hutton (3)
    Lundqvist (3)
    Price (3)
    Crawford (3)

After this group, I'll have to look for a third goalie from this group: Elliott, Grubauer, Reimer, Markstrom, Anderson, Darling, Varlamov, Schneider, Lehner, Luongo, etc. I was thinking about targetting a 'handcuff' situation such as Elliott/Neuvirth, Reimer/Luongo, Darling/Mrazek, or Grubauer/Varlamov. I could use my 5th round back-to-back picks to get it done, too.
    -----------------

LEAGUE: keeper -- 6 keepers per year, no farm; roto; 10 managers, 18-man rosters; 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 G, 5 Bench; limits of 99 games per skater position & 82 games per goalie position; daily roster moves; max 100 waiver wire transactions per year; scoring categories of G, A, +/-, HIT, PPP, SOG, DEF (points by d-men), W, GAA, SA%, and SV.

ROSTER:

C: Draisaitl* (LW), Dubois, Nelson
    LW: Svechnikov* (RW), Hagel
    RW: Kucherov*, Tarasenko, Wilson, Stone, Laine, Reinhart, P. Kane (IR)
    D: Fox*, Karlsson*, Chabot (IR), Faulk, Martinez
    G:: Vasilevskiy*, Vanecek, Adin, Knight (IR)

* = 2023 keepers

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Rank These Goalies! - Part 2

Rinne and Rask will probably be gone before you pick. I like Raanta for your cats but not sure I’ll grab him at #8 but at the same time, not sure he’s still available at #21... dilemma! My other choices at #21 would be Talbot and Bishop. Talbot plays so many games and will bring valuable assets in your setup.

I'm starting to warm to the idea to waiting to pick 21 to grab goalie #2, whether or not Rask and Rinne are scooped up before pick 9. It strikes me as possible that one of those 6 tier 1 and tier 2 ranked goalies may well still be around. Raanta, Smith, and Talbot would all be pretty acceptable. I anticipate, too, that some GMs might get excited to see names like Price and Lundqvist out there and take them a bit earlier than is wise... not all of my competition reads Dobber.
    -----------------

LEAGUE: keeper -- 6 keepers per year, no farm; roto; 10 managers, 18-man rosters; 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 G, 5 Bench; limits of 99 games per skater position & 82 games per goalie position; daily roster moves; max 100 waiver wire transactions per year; scoring categories of G, A, +/-, HIT, PPP, SOG, DEF (points by d-men), W, GAA, SA%, and SV.

ROSTER:

* = 2023 keepers

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I am gonna go a bit off the grid and say I really like a healthy Ben Bishop this year. He could easily be a top 10 goalie. I have read a few things saying he is healthy and motivated. I think there is still plenty of gas left in the tank.

In the end, Rask and Rinne were picked before my first pick (9). I had decided that if that happened, I wasn't going to take a goalie there. In the next round, Raanta and Bishop went, leaving me to choose between Talbot and Smith at pick 21. I went with the former. Then I picked up some insurance in the late rounds with Elliott and Reimer. Obviously I need at least one of these gambits to pay off. Otherwise, my team should be pretty competitive.
    -----------------

ROSTER:

* = 2023 keepers