Thread: Simultaneous Weekly Matchup Format?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Simultaneous Weekly Matchup Format?

Curious to know if anybody is in a hockey league that uses simultaneous matchups so you face more than one other manager every week instead of just one, and what the pros and cons are to such a format.
    10 Team Fantrax Weekly H2H
    19-Man Roster, 8 Keepers, 12 Minors (<150 NHL Games Kept Free)
    Pos: 3xC / 3xLW / 3xRW / 3xD / 3xG / 1xUtil / 3xBench / 5xIR
    Scoring: (G=1) (A=1) (W=2) (SO=1) (SV=0.05)

2020-21 League Champion 🏆

Re-tooling Season. Keepers moving forward:

C: N.MacKinnon, E.Pettersson, T.Zegras
    LW: A.DeBrincat, A.Svechnikov
    RW: W.Nylander
    D: C.Makar, R.Dahlin

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Simultaneous Weekly Matchup Format?

I was in a league like this last season. I didn't have any problems with it. I just didn't over-think setting my roster and just had fun looking at the scores. Overall I was ok with it but I'd much prefer just a normal pts league.

Administrator

I've long wanted to experiment with something like this but have no knowledge of any providers that would allow for it.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenInferno View Post
    Curious to know if anybody is in a hockey league that uses simultaneous matchups so you face more than one other manager every week instead of just one, and what the pros and cons are to such a format.
    I was in a league with forum member 'butch' that was held on Fantrax last season and it did just that. It was different, but I'm not the biggest fan of Fantrax so I suggest you contact him.

Dobber Sports Master

I admin 3 dynasty leagues with identical rules with two of them being traditional h2h v.s one opponent and the most recent league ; Roaring 20's is v.s every team each week - you'd be anywhere from 0-11 to 11-o each week but the core rules are same as the the other two leagues .

I prefer the intimacy of a single opponent per week over the v.s 11 each week if I was pressed to choose one over however the v.s 11 per week is still an interesting format . We've had a few conversations in the fantrax chatbox about switching to traditional h2h but much to my surprise the fellas always end up saying they like having the one league out of the 3 thats a bit different (8 gms in my inner circle play in all 3 of my leagues)

aside from my dynasty league I usually run a casual 1 year free fantrax that uses the h2h v.s all 11 format ; horrorfan took over a dead team early in the season last year and went on the win it so theres a piece of him that doesnt mind fantrax

as far as the pros and cons go ; like I say above , the intimacy of playing a single opponent isnt there but the strategy remains the same -- try to win as many of the 11 tilts as possible .I suppose another good point is if a team decides to start a rebuild halfway through the season after realizing its time to do so and isnt as competitive as a result ; everyone beats this guy , not just the guys lucky enough to face him during the stretch drive of the season in a traditional h2h (hopefully that makes sense).The same can be said if you used this format in a public fantrax league where the commit level might not be there once some strangers start falling back --everyone thats trying , will beat that team down the stretch when using the v.s 11 format

Dobber Sports Padawan

We're brainstorming the idea of maybe facing two managers a week, so if your team has a good week but you happen to have the bad luck of facing the dominant team then you still have a chance to maybe beat the other team and split the week 1-1. At least that way your team's solid week wouldn't completely go to waste.

Facing every team every week would almost be like a cumulative points league disguised as a H2H league in a way wouldn't it?
    10 Team Fantrax Weekly H2H
    19-Man Roster, 8 Keepers, 12 Minors (<150 NHL Games Kept Free)
    Pos: 3xC / 3xLW / 3xRW / 3xD / 3xG / 1xUtil / 3xBench / 5xIR
    Scoring: (G=1) (A=1) (W=2) (SO=1) (SV=0.05)

2020-21 League Champion 🏆

Re-tooling Season. Keepers moving forward:

C: N.MacKinnon, E.Pettersson, T.Zegras
    LW: A.DeBrincat, A.Svechnikov
    RW: W.Nylander
    D: C.Makar, R.Dahlin

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenInferno View Post
    We're brainstorming the idea of maybe facing two managers a week, so if your team has a good week but you happen to have the bad luck of facing the dominant team then you still have a chance to maybe beat the other team and split the week 1-1. At least that way your team's solid week wouldn't completely go to waste.

Facing every team every week would almost be like a cumulative points league disguised as a H2H league in a way wouldn't it?
    we do the face 2 opponents in our playoffs setup in all three leagues I admin which usually ensures that theres 3 solid teams in the finals even if its a darkhorse that knocked down a higher seed.

round 1 would have seed 1 vs seeds 8+9 , seed 2 v.s seeds 6+7 , seed 3 v.s seeds 4+5

bracket winners advance to finals