Thread: Thoughts on Deshaun Watson?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Thoughts on Deshaun Watson?

Interested to hear people's thoughts about Watson, particularly in a dynasty setting.

I've seen various places rank him as the 2nd QB off the board in a seasonal league, and at least as high in dynasty formats. I understand that stretch he had last year before going down. But it seems to me that folks might just be assuming that's what he is, despite it being a super small sample size, the ability of defenses to adjust, etc.

Don't get me wrong, Watson certainly does interest me. But I guess I'm leery of buying the hype (or, at the very least, I'm wary of the current price which really is basically at it's absolute ceiling right now no matter how good he is).

-------

The context for this question is that another GM in my 14 team dynasty league inexplicably is burning real estate with 5 QBs on his roster at the moment (out of 15/16 slots, depending on IR). To deal with that, he's approached me with numerous unsolicitied trade offers for me to acquire Garoppolo (I currently have Stafford and Mayfield).

So far he's really been focused on getting an RB from me -- guys like Mixon and Collins, which I won't do because I value RBs much higher than QBs and don't really feel compelled to add a QB. But he's also hurting at WR, and I never like to leave things unexplored if someone opens the door.

So now I'm thinking about a counter that would have me send David Johnson, a decent WR2 type and a mid'ish pick next year to him for Zeke and maybe Watson ... which leads to my current question. Without getting into all of the specifics, I have to depth to spare at WR, have extra picks next year from prior deals, and realize this guy's gotten himself in a tough spot by rostering so many QBs at the expense of other positions. So I'm somewhat intrigued by trading in a 26 year old DJ for a newer 23 year old Zeke (despite the fact that I personally like DJ over Zeke) while maybe upgrading at QB to boot.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Thoughts on Deshaun Watson?

Watson is good, but there's stats out there suggesting he's like a better Cutler. He's not afraid to toss balls into double coverage, and tight windows. He averaged 31 passes/game, which is low for a QB to be a top QB.

They are tailoring the offense around him though, so the argument of "defenses adjust to him", yeah they will. But the offense will adjust to those. Typically talent overcomes this stuff with the players and the intelligence of the coaching staff is huge.

I'd peg him as a QB 6 floor. He's gonna be that QB that either gets a ton of points in a week (like lets say 30 when 18 is avg), then gets a week of 10pts.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I wouldn’t touch the proposed deal. I prefer DJ over Zeke and you have no need to acquire a QB if you have Mayfield and Stafford. He’s the one that needs to trade a QB, I’d offer him a WR2 for Watson and if he says no whatever. Hell, I’d offer a WR2 for Jimmy G if you want another QB, otherwise hard pass for me.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov