Thread: Jerick McKinnon

Default Jerick McKinnon

So by now most of you all have heard/read bout McKinnon's season ending acl tear. Sucks. But I wanted to take a moment and use this as an example of why I always preach in the preseason to draft depth at the RB and WR positions and not get cute by doubling up on onsie positions especially when there will be decent replacement level production sitting on your waiver wire.

Guy in my home dynasty league an owner of McKinnon, on cut down day decided to keep three kickers over some low ceiling depth RBs. I called him out on it he essentially told me to eff-off, that he knew what he was doing. Now his RBs consist of Marlon Mack, James Connor, and Melvin Gordon. Good luck making it through an entire season with those three.This is 14 team league and there's crap for RBs on the WW.

iAnywho...There are more examples of owners who neglect the depth in the middle of their roster during the draft, but I don't want to sound preachy. Just keep McKinnon in mind next time you think about drafting a second QB.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Jerick McKinnon

As a Niners fan, this sucks but as I posted in our Dobber Yahoo message board, I'm glad I grabbed Breida late in the draft now.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    As a Niners fan, this sucks but as I posted in our Dobber Yahoo message board, I'm glad I grabbed Breida late in the draft now.
    Yeah I like Breida. Own him in a couple of spots. Alf Morris should be viable flex play too. Scoop him up where available
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Titan

I always feel bad for guys who get hurt in the preseason in the NFL. However, if there's a silver lining, he'll be fine to go in 2019 at some point just because he did get hurt this early.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Jimmy G with the blown knee too. Whats going on in SF?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Jimmy G with the blown knee too. Whats going on in SF?
    Welllllllll that was a 100% Jimmy G's fault. First, he should have ran out of bounds, secondly he tried to make a fairly violent cut from an unstable base.

Dobber Sports Immortal

I dropped Luck this week for Jimmy G. I guess he did well but that really sucks for him.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I feel badly for Garoppolo. Speaking as someone (obviously, a non-world class athlete) who's twice done the non-contact torn ACL thing (the first time during a soccer game, the second time during a hockey game), I can attest that it's simply devastating from a mental standpoint when it happens.

The fact that it's non-contact makes it worse in some ways, because it tends to be the result of doing something instinctual that you've done literally thousands of times before without issue. It's hard to comprehend how that one time was so horrifically different. If there was some sort of awkward contact, a random hit, etc., at least it can "make sense." I'd imagine that's even more true for professional athletes, who these days are fairly well oiled machines and tend to be completely in tune with their bodies, movements, physical limitations, etc.

From the angles I've seen so far, Garoppolo not going out of bounds had little to nothing to do with that injury (and, unfortunately, Jamaal Charles a few years back shows that even going out of bounds doesn't guarantee safety against these injuries).

In any event, assuming it is a torn ACL, I wish him well in his recovery. After a non-contact knee injury, learning to trust that you can do something as simple or routine as putting your foot down, taking a step with your leg fully extended, pivot, cut, etc. without fearing that your leg will just buckle again can be quite challenging. I'm always amazed how well and how quickly these guys recover from the physical and mental aspects after such signifiant injuries. I'm sure the 'round the clock medical care, physical therapists, sports psychologists, etc. at your disposal likely helps. But still, not at all an easy thing to do....
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar//Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov/DeSmith

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    From the angles I've seen so far, Garoppolo not going out of bounds had little to nothing to do with that injury (and, unfortunately, Jamaal Charles a few years back shows that even going out of bounds doesn't guarantee safety against these injuries).
    What? He tore his ACL making a cut from an unstable base. If he went out of bounds he wouldn't have been making the cut, ergo no ACL tear. He was headed to the sideline, his legs got outside his core plant base, he cut back inside to go down the sideline instead of going out of bounds, and that cut from an unstable base caused his knee to buckle and his ACL to tear. It was entirely caused from not going out of bounds.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    What? He tore his ACL making a cut from an unstable base. If he went out of bounds he wouldn't have been making the cut, ergo no ACL tear. He was headed to the sideline, his legs got outside his core plant base, he cut back inside to go down the sideline instead of going out of bounds, and that cut from an unstable base caused his knee to buckle and his ACL to tear. It was entirely caused from not going out of bounds.
    Yes, I agree that it was a knee injury caused by making a cut and that before doing so he didn't go out of bounds. But that doesn't mean that the act of staying in bounds caused the injury any more than him simply deciding to step on the football field yesterday did.

I'm also not sure what you mean by an unstable base -- the views I've seen don't show anything really irregular about that cut versus any other one that players make all the time (or the motion that he'd quite likely have been going through to stop himself had he gone out of bounds). What is his "core plant base"? The ground immediately beneath the core of his body? Like shoulder's-width apart? That's how people run and cut all the time.

Sure, he could have gone out of bounds. He could have thrown the ball away. He could have called in sick. He could have played baseball or chosen to be an accountant. This was just an unfortunate end to a routine play. Whether or not he went out of bounds is not the cause of the injury.

W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    Whether or not he went out of bounds is not the cause of the injury.
    Yes, it was, and every athlete who has commented on the play has confirmed that.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Yes, it was, and every athlete who has commented on the play has confirmed that.
    Hmm. Well, his ex-girlfriend apparently attributes the injury to karma. So I guess whatever Garoppolo did to tick her off can also be added to the list of what "caused" this.

https://nypost.com/2018/09/24/karma-...-scary-injury/