To start with I changed my team's name to The Hellbound Hart

The Hellbound Hart

C - Stamkos, Kadri, Stepan, Dvorak
    LW - Dubois, M.Tkachuk, Schmaltz, Panik
    RW - Kucherov, Pastnak, Boeser, Puljujarvi
    D - S.Jones, Shattenkirk, Edler, S.Weber, Miller, Gudas
    G - Raanta, Grubauer
    BN - Saros, DeSmith, M.Subban, Sparks, Husso

I was drafting from #1 slot and was not particularly happy with that as I usually prefer to be in somewhere in the middle. I also didn't want McDavid so I could probably have drafted somewhere from #3 to #5 slot and still get Kucherov as he might have dropped in some rankings a bit with the current injury worries or just generally ranking him lower. My teams in RHRS have been torpedoed by below average to terrible goaltending in the last two seasons and that's with using two high picks on goalies both seasons (R1+R5 and R1+R6) so the return from the high goalie pick investment has been terrible. On the other hand my skaters have always been among the best in the league in pretty much every season in the RHRS and that's with always spending two high picks on goalies. So I decided to try out more skater-heavy approach and gamble on goalies a little bit. The plan was to get one Top10 starting goalie from my list as late as possible and then pick up some combination of platooners/low-end starting goalies/quality backups to fill out the goaltending.

1. (1) Nikita Kucherov (TB - RW)

Players under consideration were Kucherov, Ovechkin and Burns and I had them pretty evenly ranked. In the end decided to go with Kucherov as my drafting tends to favour high Hits/PIM/SOG-type players so going with more of a scorer in Kucherov compared to Ovechkin was preferable and I thought it was more likely I could draft Ds at good spots. Kucherov is currently injured, but I am not worried he'll miss significant time. In case you are wondering why McDavid wasn't even in the consideration, it's more or less purely because how bad he is with FOW. I am projecting him to produce below 400 FOW and that's like -300 FOW compared to the most high-end C-only players and that instantly pushes team to a bottom third in FOW as making that deficit up is actually kind of difficult. FOW-taking wingers are pretty scarce and you usually have to reach for them so just didn't want to start in the hole in FOW to start the draft. If the league didn't have FOW I'd at least consider McDavid and probably pick him 1st overall as I have him projected at about 105 pts and easily winning Art Ross.

2. (26) David Pastrnak (Bos - RW)
    3. (27) Steven Stamkos (TB - C)

I was hoping I'd get Giroux as I wanted to get two FOW-taking wingers and picking up one early would be nice. I was also thinking if I should pick a goalie here and was considering Dubnyk/Quick. Decided I'd gamble instead on Raanta lasting to my next picks although that was pretty risky as he could have gone pretty easily as 16 goalies were picked before my next picks and Raanta usually goes around 15th G off the board. So went with the 2 best skaters available in Pastrnak and Stamkos and was pretty happy with those two.

4. (52) Pierre-Luc Dubois (Cls - C,LW)
    5. (53) Antti Raanta (Ari - G)

Very happy to see Raanta lasted until here so picked him as he was last Top10 G on my list. Dubois was one the players I really wanted and had more or penciled him in at this spot as I thought he would very likely be available here. FOW-taking wingers are pretty scarce and I am projecting Dubois to produce 60 pts or so and with nice hit totals and 600 FOW on top of that. I did consider Carlson/Hamilton too, but felt getting FOW-taking winger was more important.

6. (78) Matthew Tkachuk (Cgy - LW)
    7. (79) Seth Jones (Cls - D)

Really wanted Carlson/Hamilton here, but just missed out on both them, but that was probably likely anyway. I had no D at this point so I felt I really had to pick one now so went with S.Jones. He's injured and will miss some time, but I am pretty high on him and he was still Top10 D in my rankings even with the injury so happy enough to pick him. I would have gone Aho if he was available here as it looks like he'll be playing C so having another FOW-taking winger would have been nice. I did also consider Pacioretty, but decided to with M.Tkachuk. I am very high on him and expect 60+ pts with good PIM and hit totals on top. Tkachuk is a bit of a injury worry, but I wasn't too concerned about it.

8. (104) Philipp Grubauer (Col - G)
    9. (105) Brock Boeser (Van - RW)

I only had 1 goalie for now so felt I had to get another at least platoon goalie around here. Targets pre-draft were Elliott, Grubauer, Hutton or Luongo and with Elliott gone I went with Grubauer. I am expecting him to get nearly even split of starts with Varlamov and hopefully post good ratios too. He could turn out another Darling or another Raanta, but I felt he was worth a gamble over Luongo/Hutton. Pre-draft I was hoping I'd get Giordano here, but he went few picks before so no luck there. I also considered Larkin and M.Rielly here, but decided to with Boeser as I am not too worried about sophmore slump and I think the 1st PP unit might actually be pretty solid too.

10. (130) Kevin Shattenkirk (NYR - D)
    11. (131) Juuse Saros (Nsh - G)

I only had 1 D so when Shattenkirk was available at solid spot I felt I had to pick him. I did consider Atkinson and RNH too, but felt getting 2nd D was more important. I was originally planning to get Saros 2 rounds later, but with Luongo and Hutton gone I felt I had to get Saros to be a bit safer with my goalies. I have always been high on Saros and I'll probably once again pick him up on most of my 1-year leagues. I am expecting about 30 starts with excellent ratios, but it wouldn't surprise if he took over the starting job from Rinne, but I am happy with 30 quality starts and anything over that would be just a nice bonus.

12. (156) Nazem Kadri (Tor - C)
    13. (157) Alexander Edler (Van - D)

Another pick I had more or less penciled in pre-draft in Edler and I really needed more D and preferably someone bringing good peripheral production anyway so it was a excellent fit. I just missed out on another pick in Zibanejad I had expected to get here too so unfortunate I missed out on him as he's another player I probably will have on multiple teams this season. I considered Mantha and A.Lee too, but decided that securing a good C was preferable as I estimated there was more likely to be more wingers than centers I liked available later and I only had 1 C at this point as well. People are down on Kadri and partially for a good reason as his linemates will be downgraded significantly, but I expect him to keep 1st PP unit spot and that's the saving grace as far as I see it.

14. (182) Shea Weber (Mon - D)
    15. (183) Derek Stepan (Ari - C)

I think people generally downgrade injured players little too much and picking up Ellis late in last season's draft paid nicely for me and I think that will the case with S.Weber as well. I had Weber ranked as Top100 player even with only 40 GP projection so very happy to get him at this point of the draft. Svechnikov, Gallagher and Jenner were under consideration too as I felt filling out C with solid FOW-takers was more of a priority so took 3rd C in Stepan. Stepan is another player I seem to end up in a lot of my teams as I think he'll improve from last season and post solid numbers all-around.

16. (208) Nick Schmaltz (Chi - C,LW)
    17. (209) Colin Miller (VGK - D)

I really wanted Jenner and Dell, but just missed out on both of them. I only had 1 FOW-taking winger and options were getting very thin. Schmaltz wasn't the top player on my list, but I wanted to get more FOWs so reached a little bit relatively to my rankings to place my team in a better spot in FOW. I essentially has only 3.5 D at this point so went with best available D in C.Miller and he should post decent scoring numbers with solid Hit+SOG totals.

18. (234) Casey DeSmith (Pit - G)
    19. (235) Richard Panik (Ari - LW,RW)
    20. (260) Radko Gudas (Phi - D)
    21. (261) Malcolm Subban (VGK - G)
    22. (286) Jesse Puljujarvi (Edm - RW)
    23. (287) Christian Dvorak (Ari - C)
    24. (312) Garret Sparks (Tor - G)
    25. (313) Ville Husso (StL - G)

Later rounds are just filling out roster with depth players like Gudas and Panik, backups on quality teams like DeSmith, Subban and hopefully Sparks/Husso too. And then gambling on Dvorak/Puljujarvi possibly breaking out, but who really knows how these end up.

In general really happy with how my skater-heavy strategy worked out as I got lot of players where I wanted and also probably got bit lucky that Raanta was there at my R5/R6 pick so my goalie strategy wasn't completely messed up there. SMy team should be among the top teams in skater categories and might even be dominant skaterwise, but we'll see about that. Goalies are obviously a big question mark, but that was more or less the goalie plan anyway so should be interesting to see how that works out. Getting to 164 GP might be bit difficult too with so many platoon/injury prone/backup goalies so that's a bit of risk. I might have to be active on the FA market when injuries occur to starting goalies and there's always the trading route as well if nothing else works.

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: 2018/19 Rocky Horror Roto Show

I drafted right smack dab in the middle at #7. Usually I prefer to draft closer to the turn but I'm happy with how things went. Still trying to come up with a good team name, feel free to help me decide over in this thread.

As always, guys were being sniped left, right and center ahead of my picks, but I was able to snag a lot of good value picks from guys that fell. Usually I tend to focus more on scoring but this year I feel like I've wound up with a much more well rounded team. I've been in the RHRS since it's inception and last year was the first year I made the podium (finishing second). I feel with some smart trades and waiver wire management (and a little luck), I can pull off the win this year.

Let's get to the recap:

1. (7) Victor Hedman (TB - D) - I really wanted one of Burns/Hedman here but figured they'd be gone and had settled on Seguin being my likely target. When Burns went at #5, I figured Hedman was next but luckily he ended up falling to me. Pretty stoked to have a potential 70-point D-man who contributes across the board to build my team around.

2. (20) Patrik Laine (Wpg - RW) - Round 2 I was definitely targeting a goalie. As I watched my top 3 in Vas/Bob/Helle go at the start of Round 2, I prayed Andersen would fall to me as he was the last goalie I had in that top tier. Of course, LOTR snags him ahead of me but that meant I was gift-wrapped Patty Laine who has the potential to score 50+ this year. They've said he is going to see increased ice time which could result in 300 SOG too. Laine should be a point-per-game player this year. I'll take it.

3. (33) Tuukka Rask (Bos - G) - The Tier 2 goalies started to go here and I knew I had to get one quick as goalies always thin out quickly in the RHRS. Came down to Rask and Dubnyk, but Rask has the much stronger team, plus it allowed me to take one of my favorite players on my favorite team without really having to reach for him. I figured I could draft Halak later and nail down all 82 Bruins games which meant if I could snag one more solid starter and a 1A or 1B goalie I should be competitive in the goalie categories.

4. (46) Joe Pavelski (SJ - C,RW) - There was a bit of a goalie/d-man run going on which saw some great Fs slide to Round 4. I watched my queue empty of Subban, Fleury, Murray, Allen, Talbot, Eichel, Ghost, Tarasenko. That was seriously painful, but it meant that RHRS favorite Joe Pavelski fell to me. Across the board production with some FWs from the wing. This pick shifted my strategy a bit as in past years I've failed to take advantage of the FWs from a winger by not having strong enough Cs. So I decided to target some of the top remaining Cs in the next few rounds.

5. (59) Carey Price (Mon - G) - Goalies were getting pretty sparse, I was going to either go C or Raanta here but temek snagged Raanta at the start of the round and Shoeless sniped Scheifle 2 picks ahead of me. I don't expect Price to be huge in wins, but he should bounce back to well above league average in all other categories. He could prove to be a steal if Montreal over-performs expectations and stays even relatively competitive this year.

6. (72) Ryan O'Reilly (StL - C) Was targeting one of the Washington Cs here but Kuzy and Backstrom went within the four picks ahead of me. I figured I would target the two Blues Cs instead figuring I could snag O'Reilly this round and hoping Schenn would fall to me in Round 7.

7. (85) Zach Werenski (Cls - D) - After my last pick, I had Schenn and a whole bunch of D-men in my queue. Watching the run on D (Carlson, Hamilton, Jones, Risto all went between my picks), I figured I was all set to draft Schenn and have the two St Louis Cs I craved. Nope! In comes Shoeless to snipe me again. I bitterly resolve myself to taking OEL whose +/- killed me in the Dobber Pro league last year but dooley89 snags him. Time drags on and I panic in the last few second and snag Werenski who I'm high on but not as much as I'm high on Patches who goes immediately afterwards to LordoftheRinks. Seriously, I don't think he waited 3 seconds to hit draft after my pick.

8. (98) Ryan Getzlaf (Anh - C) - Time to return to targeting Cs. Getz should have a bounce back year if he can stay healthy. His value was seriously depressed here due to last years injury.

9. (111) Sean Couturier (Phi - C) - I really don't know why a guy who had 74-points last year and shoots the puck a lot from the C position fell this far. He seems to be falling in a lot of drafts. But I think he produces at least close to what he did last year. Top line C on a competitive team in Round 9 seems like good value to me. I was pretty stoked when I saw Skinner still on the board but of course, dooley89 continued to be a source of frustration and got him just ahead of me.

10. (124) Semyon Varlamov (Col - G) - Yet another round where my queue got emptied in between picks. Happens a lot with these managers haha. Watched Schwartz, Johansen, Guentzel, Rielly and Krug come off the board. I also watched a few goalies that I had ranked lower than Varly going so I figured I better snag my third G. Goalie strategy falling in to place, now just need to make sure I get the Bruins handcuff.

11. (137) William Nylander (Tor - C,RW) - I understand that the season starts in two days and Nylander still doesn't have a contract, but this guy has so much talent and is on a stacked offensive team. Should provide good value once he signs on. i can't imagine he misses more than a couple of games (if any).

12. (150) Chris Kreider (NYR - LW) - Not a fan of the Rangers this year but Kreider is one of the last few major multi-cat guys left on the board. Plus I hadn't drafted a LW yet. Kreider as my top-LW stings a little.

13. (163) Jaroslav Halak (Bos - G) - Is this a reach? This feels like a reach, but in a league where all but the very bottom of the goalies get drafted, I wanted to make sure I had all 82 games from a strong team. Would love to know if any of the other managers were consider Halak at this point. Considering the next goalies off the board were Griess, Mrazek, Kinkaid, it might not have been as off the board as I felt it was. Watched some quality D go off beford my next pick that could have shored up a weak spot for me though.

14. (176) Travis Konecny (Phi - LW,RW) - By this point I still only had 1 LW and 2 D. It was time to rectify that. horrorfan sniped Meier 2 picks ahead of me (probably the steal that stung the most all draft). Konecny is a solid contributor across the board so I'm comfortable with this pick.

15. (189) Pat Maroon (StL - LW) - This felt like a bit of a reach at the time too but I see a few others have mentioned that they had him queued up at this point. The potential if he sticks on that top line in St Louis is HUGE!

16. (202) Paul Stastny (VGK - C) - Another C who I don't understand how he is falling so far in drafts. Should get big minutes in Vegas with quality linemates. Happy to snag him at this point and give me the 4 quality Cs I was hoping for to allow me to slot Pavelski at wing.

17. (215) Erik Johnson (Col - D) - D pickings were getting slim at this point, time to load up on the dirty stats with Erik Johnson. May be a good thing that Shoeless once again sniped the top of my queue when he look Elias Lindholm as I really shouldn't have continued to punt D at this point. EJ as a third D feels kind of gross to be honest.

18. (228) James Neal (Cgy - RW) - I kicked the D can far enough down the road already, why not kick it further. Neal should provide some great value at this pick. Pretty sure it LOTR who wasn't too happy with this one.

19. (241) Jake DeBrusk (Bos - LW)
    20. (254) Charlie Coyle (Min - C,RW)
    - Debrusk was filling a positional need while Coyle was just another player who inexplicably fell in this draft. Pretty happy to snag two players who could challenge 50-points while producing solid numbers across the board at this stage of the draft. Both have the potential for even more if guys ahead of them on their teams suffer injuries.

21. (267) Will Butcher (NJ - D)
    22. (280) Esa Lindell (Dal - D)
    23. (293) Martin Necas (Car - C)
    24. (306) Stephen Johns (Dal - D)
    25. (319) Kailer Yamamoto (Edm - RW)
    - Needed to fill my D out here. Butcher and Lindell should provide good value for as late as I got them although I'd prefer to have them as 5/6 not 4/5. Taking a chance on some young rookies in Necas and Yamamoto. I like taking fliers on guys like that late in these drafts because if they stick, they can pay huge dividends but if they don't it provides roster flexibility to make WW moves. Last year I snagged Boeser, William Karlsson and Colin Miller from the WW early in the season and they paid huge dividends.

All in all, I feel like my team is solid but not spectacular. It will definitely need some tweaking. I think most skater categories will be middle of the pack while my I have a good chance at being near the top in the goalie categories. Here's to an always interesting season in the RHRS. Looking forward to it gents.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Drag Me to Hall

Happy to be drafting in the middle of the pack but that #6 pick haunted me since it was announced.
    Ended up going with Benn, lots of talk about Seguin but wasn't sure if he was the right pick there, planned to try and value draft C later.
    My goaltending is usually very suspect so I wanted three starters while not leaving any must-draft guys on the board.

1-6: Benn
    Fingers crossed here, going to be a record year for him!

2-21: Hall
    I thought that Laine/Hall/Giroux may all be gone by this pick but the early D and short G run left two of them, hindsight maybe FOW from the wing would have been better but I am happy to have Hall at 21st.

3-32: Rinne
    Decided to take my first G here so I didn't miss out any longer - almost took Quick but I like Rinne, planned to draft Saros as well but didnt even see him get taken to be honest!

4-47:Bishop
    All in on the Dallas train boys, I didn't see any other G on the board that I liked for a 2G.

5-58: Kessel
    Kopitar and Schiefele looked like monster picks and may have changed my strategy mid-draft even though I wasn't taking early C and Kane was tempting especially as a CHI fan. With two great LW I go with Phil the thrill.

6-73: Carlson
    Very happy to get Carlson here, was going to go all in even more on the Dallas train but Klingberg was taken earlier this round.

7-84: OEL
    Yes the +/- is rough but glad to grab another solid D at this point, also saw Schenn another C i wasn't thinking of but didn't have to make the tough choice, taken a pick before me!

8-99: Schneider
    I have Schneider in another league this year, just need him to get healthy and back into form. I should have had Kinkaid way higher on the radar but missed that as well.

9-110: Skinner
    Going for the new-team upside with Skinner - thinking he has a monster year.

10-125: JVR
    Going for the new-team is his old-team with JVR - trying to fill out my peripherals here.

11-136: Point
    I need to start finding some C, fast. No one in sight after Point except for Horvat/Zib/Kadri and I knew who was drafting Kadri before my next pick!

12-151: Zibanejad
    Someone has to do something in NYR right?

13-162: Nurse
    The first real 'oh shit' moment when Dahlin went a pick before me, I need to work on C/D here.

14-177: Hischier
    I may as well own three NJ and three DAL players, right? I'm happy with this C here.

15-188: Gardiner
    Honestly, we have leafs seasons tickets this year so I need something to get excited about while I'm there lol

16-203: Koivu
    I think FOW is a category in this league, you wouldn't know it by looking at my first 10 picks, can't miss out on Koivu here.

17-214: McNabb
    Might be my biggest reach so far - peripherals and +/- was the goal here.

18-229: Bjugstad
    Neal was my guy - second 'oh shit' moment here but still happy with Bjugstad.

19-240: Hanifin
    Once again looking at that new-team upside, is this a theme?

20-255: Khudobin
    This is where I realize WAY too late that Saros and Kinkaid are gone.

21-25:
    Patrick Marleau - refer to the Gardiner comment + top 6 guy
    Craig Smith - his stats look good, don't know about this pick though
    Nichushkin - choo choo, go Dallas!
    McElhinney - why am I drafting so many leafs? They should be good, Freddy can't play em all.
    Vrana - Hoping for long term top 6 here.

Summary:
    I need DAL and NJ to finish 1st in their conferences and we're looking good!
    Never sure how to rate but this team is maybe a B-/B in my opinion?

The Wolverine

Drafted from the 10 spot. Not an easy spot given likely a few directions I could go and also had to consider those around the turn.

1. (10) Erik Karlsson (SJ - D) - Didn't expect both Karlsson and Seguin to fall and had a choice between them. Seguin should be solid but decided to opt for the D who could end up with 70+ points.

2. (17) Connor Hellebuyck (Wpg - G) - Figured many goalies would be gone by the third round and wanted an anchor, and Hellebuyck should be a high end workhorse with a lot of wins.

3. (36) Aleksander Barkov (Fla - C) - Hoping for continued progression towards PPG numbers, with good SOG for a centre and hopefully maintain his high FOW production like last year.

4. (43) Cam Talbot (Edm - G) - Tempted to wait for a second goalie but figure Talbot should be better than last year, another workhorse, and give me a solid 1/2 with Hellebuyck.

5. (62) Rickard Rakell (Anh - LW,RW) - I'm light on hits and no wingers yet so Rakell fits perfectly. Across the board production with dual wing eligibility.

6. (69) Sebastian Aho (Car - C,LW) - Will he play some centre? If so, FOW from the wing is a big help. If not, I still expect continued progression after his breakout season last year.

7. (88) Sean Monahan (Cgy - C) - Hopefully he's fully recovered from offseason surgery, and if so, it could be another 60-70 point, 30+goal, 200+ SOG, 700+ FOW season.

8. (95) Wayne Simmonds (Phi - RW) - Not sure if too early for Simmonds given potential role (though saw a note saying he might get on PP1). If so, then great value and of course the PIM helps.

9. (114) Alex Pietrangelo (StL - D) - Needed another D and perhaps he fell this far due to other high performing D or that he just had triplets. Regardless, solid at this stage of the draft.

10. (121) Robin Lehner (NYI - G) - About time to get my third goalie, and we'll see if a change of environment helps him. Picking him means I want to get Greiss for the handcuff.

11. (140) Tyson Barrie (Col - D) - Not the best peripherals but I take a guy who just had 57 points last year at pick 140.

12. (147) Jason Zucker (Min - LW,RW) - Time for another winger and based on last season's production he could be a poor man's Rakell. Hope he'll get solid PP opportunities to justify it here.

13. (166) Thomas Greiss (NYI - G) - Might as well get the NYI handcuff now before I miss out.

14. (173) Timo Meier (SJ - LW) - I know he's a target by many this year and figured this was the best time to grab him. Solid already in SOG/Hits, here's hoping for a breakout season.

15. (192) Dion Phaneuf (LA - D) - All my D are light on hits so figure get the grittier guy to balance it out a bit. Not sure if he'll get much PP time but helps in PIM/Hits and Blocks.

16. (199) Brendan Gallagher (Mon - RW) - Was surprised he fell this far but guess playing for Montreal might have played a part. Solid multiple category production this late? Yes please.

17. (218) Kyle Turris (Nsh - C) - The pure centres were becoming limited so Turris gives decent offensive production on a solid team. Looking for a +/- boost as well.

18. (225) Shea Theodore (VGK - D) - Not much in the peripherals but a full season's maturity maybe a 40 point season with double digit PPP is forthcoming?

19. (244) Nick Foligno (Cls - C,RW) - Admit don't know much about his role but could have an opportunity to provide decent offense with plenty of hits and maybe some FOW from the wing?

20. (251) Adam Henrique (Anh - C) - Like at the Turris stage, limited C only players with offensive opportunities. With Kesler out, can he run with C2 role?

21. (270) Ondrej Kase (Anh - RW) - Another young player with tons of hype, especially with Perry hurt. Let's see if he can take advantage of it. Worth the risk at pick 270.

22. (277) Ryan McDonagh (TB - D) - Didn't see many other D that I liked so maybe he'll get some more offensive opportunities on a strong team, with some decent hits and blocks.

23. (296) Anthony Beauvillier (NYI - C,LW) - First line with Barzal? I'll take that chance as a bench option.

24. (303) Tyson Jost (Col - C,LW) - Another flier on a young guy with potential opportunity. Maybe second line centre, which gives some depth and FOW on the wing potential.

25. (322) Jesper Bratt (NJ - LW,RW) - Didn't really know who I wanted so he gives multiple wing eligibility and maybe he'll take another step forward after a decent rookie season. No risk.

Decided to be lazy and choose the same name as the one in the Dobber league, since I have Monahan in both.

Han's Labyrinth

C: Barkov, Monahan, Turris, Henrique
    L: Rakell(R), Aho(C ), Zucker(R), Meier, Beauvillier(C ), Jost(C )
    R: Simmonds, Gallagher, Foligno(C ), Kase, Bratt(L)
    D: Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Barrie, Phaneuf, Theodore, McDonagh
    G: Hellebuyck, Talbot, Lehner, Greiss

Really have no idea how this compares to the others given different strategies but feel I have a decent spread of players across the positions. We'll see how it plays out!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Projected standings

Rank Team Draft pos PIM,SOG,HIT,BLK,FOW G,A,PTS,+/-,PPP W,SV GAA,SV% Skater total Goalie total Total pts
    1 The Hellbound Hart 1 53 58 23 26 111 49 160
    2 Evgeni Dreadful 4 44 51 9 9 95 18 113
    3 Lil Propp of Horrors 9 41 32 16 14 73 30 103
    4 The Devil's Rejects 5 28 47 5 19 75 24 99
    5 Han's Labyrinth 10 33 35 21 9 68 30 98
    6 The Kings in Yellow 8 47 34 12 3 81 15 96
    7 Train to Subban 12 14 40 19 22 54 41 95
    8 Closer to Gaudreau 2 40 35 16 4 75 20 95
    9 Drag Me to Hall 6 31 31 16 15 62 31 93
    10 Natural Born Quiller 13 46 23 2 19 69 21 90
    11 4T2 (Team TBD) 7 35 22 15 13 57 28 85
    12 Maaaaaa-chete 11 25 7 23 24 32 47 79
    13 Curse of Tyler Myers 3 18 40 5 5 58 10 68

I decided do a little extra detail on these predictions and essentially split the projections into group of categories by how reliable I consider projections to be. Essentially from the most reliable to the least reliable left to right. First we have the group of peripheral categories PIM,SOG,HIT,BLK,FOW and I consider projections to be pretty good assuming you don't make significant roster changes of course. Obviously you can still make a significant difference even here by certain type of players like picking up FOW-taking winger etc. Then we have the rest of skater categories G,A,PTS,+/-,PPP which are all mostly related to goals and while projections give a decent indication of teams' strength pretty big swings are still possible. Next we have the two goalie volume categories of W,SV which are both pretty significantly related to the team's strength. I consider these to be pretty unreliable, but projections should still be better than saying everyone has equally good goalies in this regard. Then we have the goalie ratio categories of GAA,SV% to round the categories out. I have absolutely zero confidence in them and they are listed just for completeness sake.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Dobber Sports Stud

Going into this year I had more or less the same strategy as last year. Basically looking for high volume shooting centres with good production earlier in the draft, sprinkled with at least on goalie and hopefully a very good d-man in the mix . Essentially thinking 3C, 1D, 1 G 1 RW or LW in the first six rounds depending on what’s there – wasn’t married to this but it was my basic guideline. After that my default is high volume shooters on the first PP, with stat stuffer players later in the draft. My first three rounds in my head were Crosby, Byfuglien, Goalie. I shoot mention I did not do a ton of research this year.

1 (2) – McDavid, C. I was a bit surprised to see him passed over, his crappy FOW actually decreases his value a bit in a league like this but cannot pass on the upside. If McDavid went first Crosby was my target.

2 (25) – Trochek, C. Fits my overall plan with nice peripherals since Byfuglien was long gone. This was a bit of a reach but drafting this close to the turn I had zero faith he would be there in the fourth (and I was going goalie in the third).

3 (28) – M. Jones, . Top Tier goalies are all gone so this was a bit of a crapshoot but I like San Jose this year and see him improving on his numbers from last year. So far, so good.

4 (51) – Gaudreau, LW – brutal peripherals but I am very high on him this year. Hoping that between Gaudreau and McDavid I have a really solid start in G, A, P and PPP.

5 (54) – Marchessault, C/LW. Gives me a second LW earlier than I expected by hopefully some FOW from the left side and decent hits to go with the SOG and hopefully PP1. Happy with my draft so far.

6 (77) – Jeff Carter, C. Fits my strategy of high volume C. Might be a bit of a reach but again if I don’t take him here or early in the 7th I am not confident he will be there later in the 8th. He was also a target of mine during my prep. I was also thinking D here but saw that Temek didn’t have a lot of C and was worried he might not make it to my next pick (three picks later).

7 (80) – Ristolainen, D. Seems to be nursing an injury and could see come competition from Dahlin but I need a decent D-man at this point and like the multi-cat upside he brings. At this point I have 3 high volume shooting C (two with good FOW potential), 2 LW (which can be a tough position to fill later) including one who could provide some FOW (to help make up for McDavid), a decent G and a good D. Not hitting it out of the park but good foundation.

8 (103) – E. Staal, C. A bit of a reach but looking at the C position and not seeing a lot I like. I wish the PPP were higher but I do think he has a chance of getting on to the top unit.

9 (106) – Hutton, G. Goalie pickings are getting slim and I want another (hopeful) starter. I am not as low on Buffalo as some, although I don’t see them making the playoffs yet. Regardless, I am hoping that with their new additions (Skinner, Dahlin) and a healthy Eichel that this ends up being a decent pick. From this point on my limited research is exhausted and I am largely at the mercy of Yahoo rankings and Dobber rankings.

10 (129) – Suter, D. Time to start looking for some more D. Not thrilled with this pick but can live with it. I have found that if you don’t have a couple of reliable guys that it is really hard to populate all six D slots effectively. You can throw in a couple of bangers but not too many.

11 (132) – Muzzin, D – really looking for some more D and Muzzin brings nice stats across the board. Happy with this one.

12 (155). Dadonov, LW/RW. 4C, 2LW, 3D, 2G, time for someone who can fit in on the right side. The dual eligibility is nice.

13 (158). A. Lee, LW. Always a favourite of mine. Should be good for the top PP and brings great peripherals. Happy with this one.

14 (181). Kinkaid, G. Feeling the need to lock down another G. The good back ups are gone so went with Kinkaid hoping he gets 30+ starts. Helps solidify things in the net, although will need another back up at some point.

15 (184). Fiala, LW/RW – I think he has potential to get on PP1. Worth the risk at this point. Another dual eligible winger helps in case of injuries somewhere along the line.

16 (207). Jenner, C/LW – hits galore with decent SOG and hopefully some FOW from the wing. Very happy with this.

17 (210). Seabrook, D - Heard he has been training hard over the summer. Always liked his multi-cat offerings and hoping he can take a small step forward. Happy with this as a fourth D.

18 (233). Okposo, RW – meh, need RW and hoping he will at least get PP1 time.

For the rest basically filling out positions and looking for stat stuffers:

19 (236). Matheson, D – SOG and blocks if nothing else.

20 (259). Zucs, RW – happy with this. Someone has to score/play PP1 for the Rags. Even 50 points with decent SOG, hits and blocks (for a forward) is good value at this point.

21 (262). Fowler, D – filling out my D.

22 (285). J. Anderson, RW – brings hits without killing the SOG.

23 (288). Spezza, C/RW – it wouldn’t be an RHRS draft for me without Spezza ending up on my team. Every eff-ing year. If he can get PP1 time and get draws from the wing then he has some value. Some.

24 (311). Ullmark, G – nothing left in the G cupboard so thought I might as well lock down 82 Buffalo games. Hopefully I’m closing in on 164 games played.

25 (314). Hamonic, D – doubt he will be on my team within a week. This will be a streaming position.

Overall I feel like I have a balanced team – need some of my guys to live up to my expectations if I want a podium finish, but looking forward to the season.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by temek View Post
    Projected standings

Rank Team Draft pos PIM,SOG,HIT,BLK,FOW G,A,PTS,+/-,PPP W,SV GAA,SV% Skater total Goalie total Total pts
    11th eh? I can dig it. Last year you had me projected dead last of the 12 teams and I finished 2nd. So if I can outperform your expectations again by 10 places, then I'm in line for my first RHRS championship.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by temek View Post
    Projected standings

Well that is right about where I expected to be in the projected standings. Let’s just say all of my preparation was left behind as I never considered taking it with me when we rushed off for some family reasons. So I pretty much winged it. Lesson for next year, update the yahoo rankings to match your spreadsheet well in advance of the draft so if something comes up this rankings in the draft room are at least somewhat close to what you want. Good luck to all and I look forward to attempting to dig myself out of this hole I find myself in.

Good luck to everyone this season. And I apologize for my spotty performance in the draft.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    2. Get PIM built in. Last year was the last year for fight-prediction. It's done. Micheal Haley & Antoine Roussel don't have jobs this year. If your main players aren't getting normal PIM, forget about finding them.

BAHAHAHA! You only lasted 24 hours without picking up Haley! hahaha you are such an PIM slut!

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    BAHAHAHA! You only lasted 24 hours without picking up Haley! hahaha you are such an PIM slut!
    Hahaha... I noticed that too. Same ol predictable Pengwin

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Haley.... swoon.
    He's a heartthrob!

FWIW - my team was too healthy to start season.
    I was watching teams "stash" players on their IR & IR+.
    So I dropped a guy...
    Added Demko (IR) and moved him to IR - maybe for some later time.
    Added Haley (D2D) and moved him to IR+... since THIS year, I don't think he'll play 70gp.
    When they put him in the line-up, there will (hopefully) be a fight to be had.
    (There's actually NOT a fight opponent in the next 5 opponents... so it'll be quite a wait for the Haley-PIM.)

BTW - look at this trend in NHL fights! I mean, it is REALLY, REALLY down:
    http://www.hockeyfights.com/stats/

2017-2018: 0.22 fights per game (50% the fighting of 2012-2013. 33% the fighting as 2001-2002)
    2016-2017: 0.30 fights per game
    2015-2016: 0.28 fights per game
    2012-2013: 0.44 fights per game
    2001-2002: 0.65 fights per game

Dobber Sports Ninja

Can't wait to get Tom Wilson back from suspension...although I don't think he'll turn into a *****cat, but if a 20 game suspension doesn't make him rethink his game, he'll quickly Steve Downie himself out of the game.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Brandon, if we both punt goalies at this point maybe the guys can spread the hate between the two of us?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dooley89 View Post
    Brandon, if we both punt goalies at this point maybe the guys can spread the hate between the two of us?
    I was going to ask the question yesterday that gets asked at the start of the year.

It seems every year a goalie gets a shutout on night 1 and this is the first time it has happened with a goalie I owned... and it is surprising how tempting it is.

How pissed would you all be if I just traded all my goalies now? haha... but I couldn't do that!