Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018/19 Rocky Horror Roto Show

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: 2018/19 Rocky Horror Roto Show

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Know what(?)...
    I think I settled on my pick at #4 overall...

Until PenguinHunter snipes him right ahead of you
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Until PenguinHunter snipes him right ahead of you
    Penguin Hunter is a nice guy... he won't do that.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Know what(?)...
    I think I settled on my pick at #4 overall...

Pick #4 is easy.

10 on the other hand...

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Pick #4 is easy.

10 on the other hand...
    End of the first round is like pulling up to your prom date's house to pick her up. You think she'll be there... but maybe, just maybe, she left earlier with someone else. Which means you're left to wear the damn corsage.

Hoping you're going to a different house at 10 than I am at 12...
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by YzermansLegacy View Post

Hoping you're going to a different house at 10 than I am at 12...
    Haha yep!

However, I could be in the same situation as you with those above me. So many directions this could go depending on who's there at 10 and then possibly 17.

The Wolverine

It's draft day!

Dobber Sports Expert

I shall prempt this by saying that I essentially did 0 prep for this draft... "Real life" has caught up with me that I don't have very much time to follow hockey religously anymore... in fact this is the only league that I participate in anymore... this league is always fantastic and a great bunch of guys with great banter and tough trade negotiations which is why it's always a pleasure to participate in RHRS!

With my strategy heading in, I'm pretty much mirrored what I did the last few years... Goalies are always a scarcity in this type of league and with 4/14 of the categories goalie related (nearly 30%), each goalie start (1/164, or 0.6% of an entire season's production...) is always more heavily weighted than say a forward start (1/984 or 0.1% of an entire season's production...) or defensive start (1/492 or 0.2%). So here's where my strategy comes into play, where I make a scarce position even "scarcer", and not only that but basically I can keep the competition's goalie stats at bay because eventhough they may have a "top-tiered" goalie they can't really support those stats with a quality #2, they end up getting stuck with a tier 3/4 or even a backup goalie which won't get them up towards the 164 starts, or if they do they might have to rely on bad peripheral stats. What works in my favour is that with a surplus of goalies, I'm not too worried about getting to 164 starts (unless I move all my goalies and they all get hurt at the end of the season... good one Lundy...) and I have the luxury of being able to piece together a mix "favourable" goalie starts throughout the season (2017-18: 0.911 SP at home vs. 0.905 SP on the road, 2.78 GAA at home vs. 2.98 GAA on the road), so there is a very clear distinct advantage in terms of goalie stats playing at home vs. playing on the road. Given that a difference of a SP of .919 vs .910 equated to a 8 point swing in the overall standings, and a GAA difference between 2.42 and 2.70 equated to another swing of 7 points overall, there is a very clear battle ground amongst the very tight-knit goalie stats.

Plus this also allows me to move goalies (at hopefully a premium) during the season, to help support the stats that I may miss out from the offensive front from early in the draft.

Now I've been owned left right and centre with this strategy in the last couple of years, so maybe it doesn't work afterall... but I'm stubborn that way, and I will keep doing it until it works! Hopefully 2018-19 is the year.

What I did learn from 2017 is that I was almost "too conservative" with my starts. I was bean counting so much, that I only ended up with 156 starts instead of 164+, so lesson to be learned for 2018, I'll probably be a bit more willing to put a few more starts in earlier this year than last year. Also, last year I only had 4.5 starting goalies (with Lundy and Halak as my 4/5)... this year I went the full 5 (Bob, Dubie, Allen, Crawford and Luongo) and with 13 teams instead of 12 this year, the goalie stats should be a bit more scarce this year and I could picture teams scrapping the bottom of the barrel just to find spot starting goalies throughout the year...

From an offensive perspective, I usually also focus a lot of my attention to the peripheral offensive stats of FW, HITs, BS, PIMs, but that usually gets me into a lot of hot water in terms of the offensive categories. I scored a 1.5, 2, 1, 1, 1 in 2016 and a 5, 2, 2, 3, 3 in 2017 in G, A, P, PPP and SOG respectively. You need to have a lot more balanced of a team to win this league, so lesson learned where I went a bit more offensively balanced this draft, and hopefully I'll just augment my peripheral stats through the ww or trades through my goalies...
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12

Dobber Sports Ninja

Having drawn the last pick in a 13-team league was an interesting dilemma for me. In this league, it helps to get FOW from your wingers and you absolutely have to get blocked shots from your defence. Obviously, getting players who contribute in the gritty categories, pen mins, hits, is important.

My pre-draft strategy was only about 15 minutes because I literally just finished my draft list with less than half an hour to go before the draft. Do I go Goalie-Goalie with my first two picks? I could have had both Hellebuyck and Vasilevskiy, my top two at that position as they were available when my picks came up. However, with 10 skater categories against 4 goalie categories, I decided to not grab a goalie with either of my first two picks and hope for the best when my next two picks came up.

Rounds 1, 2 (13,14)

LW-Brad Marchand BOS – Of all ways to decide your first pick, I had trouble deciding what direction to go and was going to take Seguin with my first pick, but I messed up and auto-drafted Marchand! I guess I have to live with 80-85 points, 30-35 goals, 80 pen mins, 200 SOG and a nice plus/minus

C-Tyler Seguin DAL – After the auto-draft fiasco, this pick was pretty much automatic for me. Point per game player with 35-40 goals, 325 SOG, 800 FOW

Rounds 3,4 (39,40)

Goalies were flying off the board like crazy, so I could only watch and hope that two decent tenders fell to me. With 11 goaltenders already taken, I knew that this was likely my only chance to get decent starting goaltending. Had hoped that Quick would slip to me.

G-Marc-Andre Fleury VGK – My seventh ranked goalie. Had excellent GAA/SV% last year, but I have to hope he can avoid getting hurt and the team doesn’t fall back to earth too far

G-Matt Murray PIT – My tenth ranked goalie. Another goalie struck by the injury bug last year. Hopefully, he will improve both his GAA/SV% and stay healthy this year

Rounds 5,6 (65,66)

I had unrealistic hopes that Scheifele, Kopitar, Letang or Price would slip, but not in this crowd. Considered Backstrom for his nice combination of FOW, PPP, Assists and Points and Marner, who could go off this year.

D-Matt Dumba MIN – Looking for 55 points, 135 hits, 110 BS, a decent amount of PPP and a nice plus/minus

RW-Tom Wilson WSH – I was pretty confident that this guy wouldn’t make it to my next pick. He is a roto monster in pen mins, hits, while playing on the top line. I hope for 45 points

Rounds 7,8 (91,92)

A lot of great players come off the board. I considered taking Getzlaf and Pietrangelo, but went with two guys who could provide some nice numbers in many categories

C/LW-William Karlsson VGK – There are some that believe Vegas will come back to earth this season. I am not one of them. I see them regressing a little, but they won’t struggle to make the playoffs. Same idea with Karlsson. He might see a little regression, but his line is intact and now that he knows he can do it at the NHL level, his confidence should be high. I see him challenging for 40 goals, a decent amount of PPP and FOW and a sweet plus/minus

C/RW-J.T. Miller TB – Hoping that he can pick up where he left off last year. I have him penciled in for 25 goals, 65 points, 145 hits, 20 PPP and 450 FOW

Rounds 9,10 (117,118)

Pietrangelo nearly fell to me. Thought about Krug, Muzzin and Point, but was naively hoping they would slip to my next set of picks. None of them did.

C-Ryan Johansen NSH – I only had one player in the Center spot, so I needed a guy who could get me 800+ FOW. He should also deliver 20+goals, 60+points, 70 pen mins, 80 hits and decent PPP

LW-Jake Guentzel PIT – The guy is just scratching the surface of his abilities and could line up with Crosby more often this season. 30 goals, 65 points, 130 hits and some PPP

Rounds 11,12 (143,144)

I needed to address my Defence as I only had Dumba, so I was definitely going D, D with my two picks.

D-Ryan Ellis NSH – I’m looking for 15 goals and 45-50 points, plus-20 or better and 135 blocked shots

D-Charlie McAvoy BOS – Had to decide between McAvoy or Parayko, but the potential Krug injury kind of impacted my decision along with McAvoy’s superior pen mins and hits. In hindsight, I hope I don’t regret my decision

Rounds 13,14 (169,170)

Was hoping Zibanejad, Nugent-Hopkins or Kadri would make it back to my pick.

LW/RW-Reilly Smith VGK – I like the dual position versatility. Looking for 25 goals, 65 points, plus-30 and nearly 20 PPP

D-Jacob Trouba WPG – I’m not a believer, so I’m not thrilled with this pick. I’ll be happy if he ends up with 35 points, 125 hits and 150 blocked shots

Rounds 15,16 (195,196)

Players in my queue that didn’t make it to me: Konecny, Mark Stone, Stepan, Gardiner, Maroon and Silfverberg.

RW-Dustin Brown LA – Just plugging my #4 RW slot with a multi-cat cow. Last year was legit due to the coaching change. Should challenge 25 goals, 50-55 points, plus-20, 50 pen mins, 190 hits, 215 SOG and a dozen PPP. Not bad for Round 15 EDIT: Now I find out that his finger is broken, out indefinitely!! Good thing I have some depth on the wing.

D-Brandon Montour ANA – Still needed two more D to round out my blueline. Hoping for 10 goals, 35-40 points, 100 hits, 15 PPP and a decent plus/minus

Rounds 17,18 (221,222)

Missed out on Mikko Koivu and Boone Jenner, but these rounds are about filling gaps.

D-Duncan Keith CHI – My how the mighty have fallen. Father Time may have caught up with Keith, but I could still see a 35-40 point, 150 BS, 185 SOG and 12 PPP season

D-Alec Martinez LA – Hoping for 10 goals, 30 points, 120 hits, 185 BS and 10 PPP

Rounds 19,20 (247,248)

Would have liked Sam Reinhart’s 20 PPP to fall to me, but nope.

LW-Ondrej Palat TB – Old faithful for me. I almost always draft this guy for his nice combination of offensive numbers (20 goals, 50 points?), 125 hits, a dozen PPP and nice plus/minus

D-Alex Goligoski ARZ – Ten goals, 35 points, 120 hits, 150 BS and 12 PPP, while hoping the plus/minus doesn’t kill me

Rounds 21,22 (273,274)

Missed out on Coyle, Zuccarello, Nolan Patrick and Buchnevich.

C/LW-Brock Nelson NYI – Was looking for some FOW along with 20 goals and 40 points

LW/RW-Justin Abdelkader DET – 40 points, 75 pen mins, 175 hits and dual position versatility

Rounds 23,24,25 (299,300,325)

Should have swung for the fences and taken Brady Tkachuk and/or Casey Mittelstadt, but I am so conservative in these one-year leagues. I almost never take rookies. Nice snipe of Puljujarvi by temek.

LW/RW-Kevin Labanc SJ – 50-point, 15 PPP potential

C/LW-Andreas Athanasiou DET – Full training camp this year and by all accounts, he’s playing very well. I’m looking for 20 goals and maybe 50 points

C-Kevin Hayes NYR – Another case of hoping for 20 goals, 50 points and a decent amount of FOW

C-Seguin, R.Johansen, B.Nelson, Athanasiou(LW), K.Hayes
    LW-Marchand, W.Karlsson(C), Guentzel, Palat, Labanc(RW)
    RW-T.Wilson, JT Miller(C), R.Smith(LW), D.Brown, Abdelkader(LW)
    D-Dumba, R.Ellis, McAvoy, Trouba, Montour, D.Keith, A.Martinez, Goligoski
    G-Fleury, Murray
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Expert

I had pick 11, which is a very tough spot IMO. I was kinda stuck in no man's land where you miss out on the top 5 picks, but not good enough for the turn where you can just pick the best 2 on the top of your draft list...

Round 1
    My Pick (11) - Entering the draft I was looking at my first and second round picks to be goalies with either a combination of either Vas/Bob/Helle, but I got cold feet in the end and went with Tavares instead. Point-per-gamer, 3.27 SOG/game, should get a decent amount of PPP on the Leafs' top unit with Matthews, and around 10+ FOW/game...

Round 2
    My Pick (16) - Went with Bob, probably would have taken Vas instead, but he was sniped a pick prior to mine...

Round 3
    My Pick (37) - Goalies absolutely flew off the board, between my picks, was aiming for Rinne/Quick/Rask/Holtby/Helle/Jones and was left with Dubie instead... Post ASB posed numbers of 17-6-4, 2.35 GAA, .920 SP, hopefully he maintains that into this year.

Round 4
    My Pick (42) - 2 more goalies fly off with Fleury and Murray... so I went with Allen... No Hutton biting at his heels. Adding ROR, Maroon and a healthy Schwartz should help the defensive numbers a bit more this year. If I cherry pick his favourable starts should be a nice supplement to Bob and Dubie
    Steal of the round (45) - Tarasenko - had a down year last year, shot a career-low 10.8% too...

Round 5
    My Pick (63) - My lack of research showed up here. Didn't know that Crawford was still hampered by his concussion issues... If I had known I probably would have passed... but if he's out for another monthish, it wouldn't be a big loss for me since I have plenty of goalie coverage. When healthy his <2.40 GAA and > .925 SP will come in handy!
    Steal of the round (60) Patrick Kane - essentially a PPG guy, not a lot of peripherals but the SOG and PPP production is well worth it.
    Hindsight Pick - I deliberated fairly hard on Wilson at this pick... but thought that he would last until my next pick to be honest... unfortunately Russ snagged him before my pick, fortunately he's gonna miss some time to start the season, but his PIM,HITs,SOG/game numbers are gonna be a goldmine once he's back...

Round 6
    My Pick (68) - Backstrom was just glaring at me, screaming pick me, pick me, so I did... his 26 PPP last season sat T-25th in the entire league and that was during "down year"... if he can get back towards the 30-35+ mark, he's a steal at pick 68...

Round 7
    My Pick (89) - Rantanen jumped out at me after my queue was decimated... I had a target on Keller, MaxPac, Landy but all fell before it got to my turn. The PPP and point production should be up there again, which bucks my traditional trend of going peripheral stats over offensive production and also mirrors my Tavares, Backstrom picks...
    Hindsight Pick - I deliberated over another goalie at this spot, but thought I had a few other choices still remaining with Smith, Elliott, Lundy, Hutton, Luongo all still on the board, so I passed...

Round 8
    My Pick (94) - Couture - I didn't have a LW at this point, so I desperately needed BPA... went along the same lines as my offensive picks so far, SOG production with an emphasis on PPP with Pav/Jumbo/Couts/Karlsson/Burns as a PPP unit, it could be a headache night-in-night-out for the opposition. I did spare a couple of thoughts for Getzlaf, but with Tavares/Backstrom already didn't need a 3rd C especially when there's plenty of C down track to snag...

Round 9
    My Pick (115) - Went with a goalie after seeing the next flock of goalies go... Luongo is a good value pick to add more pressure into the goalie scarcity. He'd probably split starts with Reimer, but as a #5, if I can get 10-15 solid starts from him I'm happy...
    Steal of the round (116) - Schwartz, I had him on my radar but thought that he would last to my next pick... nope gone the next pick...

Round 10
    My Pick (120) - A little bit of a panic pick here, as I was running a million scenarios in my head... Was looking into a D, but I couldn't find much info on Krug and I wasnt super sold on Suter/Shattenkirk/Ellis, so I ran out of time... ended up locking Backes, who helps puts me on the board in terms of peripherals with HITs/BS/SOG combo, plus chip in with a couplea FOW. If he's healthy should chip in with 40-45 points as well.
    Steal of the round (128) - Toews... 900+ FOW, a decent point and SOG total, and given that Jeff Carter went 50 picks ahead of this Toews pick with comparable ballpark figures... it's a steal! I also liked Palmieri at 127, might have been just a littly bit early, but a lot pundits have him pegged for a great year. If he didn't go there, I would have easily taken him with my next pick...

Round 11
    My Pick (141) - Spent a bit of time umming and ahhhhhing about this pick too... Nothing really jumped out at me as I was going through the filter options... Oshie ended up being my pick to help support my HITs column, plus chip in with a few SOG, PPP and FOW, if he can get to 50 points with 20 on the PP, I'd be happy.
    Steal of the round (135) Ekblad 40 point potential with 180+ SOG and nearly HIT/BS per game numbers this late... pretty good value here... Barrie (140) had a massive year last year, and many think he's in for a regression... if he even gets to 40 points, 20 on the PPP with 165 SOG at this draft position is value.

Round 12
    My Pick (146) - Desperately needed a D here... so went with BPA in Parayko, I still don't know why he dropped so low... but 35ish points, pretty much a guarantee for 100 HIT/BS and 200 SOG is good value here... I can see the lack of PPP being the main knock on him, but with the additions of ROR, Maroon and hopefully a healthy Schwartz full-time, that should help the PP numbers...
    Steal of the round (152) - RNH, might have been a bit early, but as with Palmieri if he didn't go then, he probaby wouldn't have made it back to Rick for the next pick... dual eligibility to get the highly coveted FOW from the wing position. If he sticks in the top-six and lines up with McD, he could be in for a huge season. Zibanejad (151) is also good value for a #1 center... great SOG/HIT combo with the opportunity to chip in with 50 some points... someone has to score in NY...

Dobber Sports Stud

Not to interrupt Ma's most-excellent draft recap... but have officially landed on a team name post-draft.

Harkening back to one of those horror movies that I watched with zero expectations and wound up thoroughly enjoying - Train to Busan - going with the RHRS handle of "Train to Subban" this year.

Tried mightily to somehow break down Teravainen into "Train"... but much like my draft (recap to come!), was like jamming a square peg into a round hole.

Here's to PK carrying the torch for me this year.
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Expert

Round 13
    My Pick (167) - Went back to the D well... still searching for #1 D with the opportunity for #1 PP unit time who also puts up 200+ SOG. So the pick went to Faulk. Not at all keen on the +/-, but with my team and how fickle that stat is, probably not too worried... should notch 30+ points with 200+ SOG, but most importantly also contributes close to the 100/100 mark for HITs and BS... his 19 PPP last season was also T-19th amongst all blue-liners despite playing for a pretty run-of-the-mill team...
    Steal of the round (159) Toffoli - I think all of us had him on our radars... PH just jumped before everyone else. Kings are pretty deep offensively with Kops, Carter, Kovo, Toffoli, Pearson, Brown... dont know if there is enough points to spread around, but with Kops not 100% and Brown looking like he'll miss some time... it could be Toffoli who starts off 2018/19 hot...

Round 14
    My Pick (172) Still at the D well... once again looking at #1... my +/- is already shot with Faulk, so might as well add to the pile and chuck in Leddy... 120+ SOG, with the potential for 40+ points and plenty of PP time and of course the 100/100 target for HITs/BS... Trotz has a habit of running his "main go to" guy heavily on the PP (Carlsson 77% last year), so if Leddy can get something similar on the Island this year, he should be in for a big year.
    Steal of the round (171) Drouin - Don't know where the offense is gonna come from in MTL, but someone has to score, getting a #1 C this late into the draft is a steal, plus the additions of Tatar and Domi, I don't think the Habs will be as bad as many will make them out to be...

Round 15
    My Pick (193) Getting into the gritty now... with Perry's injury there's a spot open up on the right side... I think it will go to Rakell/Kase, but by the off chance that it goes to Silf, he could be in for a reasonable total... he's always had a reasonable BS total, and getting an extra 50 BS throughout the season from an offensive player rather than the blue-line is a big addition... his 200 SOG should help to pad that department for me too...
    Steal of the round - this round I think will be the huge determining round to this year's outcome, pretty much all picks could be considered steals, as my draft queue pretty much was emptied after this round... Stepan, Fiala, Pettersson, Darling, Maroon, Duchene, Phaneuf, Brown... all went, all could have huge impact this season...

Round 16
    My Pick (198) - Was still short on the LW, so looked for BPA, and went with Domi. He's got a chip on his shoulder this season, so I think he'll play with some oompppph... and 4 games vs the Panthers (Haley) should help me rack up some PIMs... Julien also hints that he might be tested at C, so getting some FW from the wing would be gold for his fantasy value...
    Steal of the round - following last round's clearout, same thing happened this round, a lot of great options flying off the boards, Gallagher (199), Vatanen (200), Stastny (201) and Jenner (207) all are great value...

Round 17
    My Pick (219) - My queue continues to dwindle, Lindholm, Erik Johnson, Turris all go... I also thought about Craig Anderson at this point, but got cold feet and went with Rattie instead based on his blistering pre-season... if he sticks with McD, Rattie could be the pick of the year. As my 4/5th RW, I'm not super concerned if he doesn't pan out and ends up being WW material...

Round 18
    My Pick (224) - I didn't have very many pure C options after Backstrom and Tavares, so I looked for the BPA at the C position. Up popped Krejci... Had a bit of an injury-shorted season last year, but still offers decent offensive potential and could chip in with 50 points, 15ish on the PP and most importantly around 50 BS to help add to Silf and my D corp.
    Steal of the round - Theodore (225), Neal (228), Reinhart (230), Okposo (233) all is great value for thier draft positions...

Round 19
    My Pick (245) - I've always looked after my boy Thornton... despite his old age... he was on pace for a 62 point finish, and 20 of his 36 came on the PP... his lack of FOW and SOG is absolutely brutal to take up a C spot, so I think I might tread lightly in terms of using his starts through the season and only utilise him during "hot streaks". Or I pray enough that the Yahoo! fantasy gods give him winger eligibility...

Round 20
    My Pick (250) - Kinda a throw away pick here... I really needed a LW so I just went down the list to see who jumped out at me... rolled the dice on Pearson for the HIT and SOG potential, but I could see him being WW material down the track...
    Steal of the round - 259 Zuccarello Coyle at 254 are both steals... I also had Chabot and Gudas on my radar who could end up being solid steals...

Round 21
    My Pick (271) - Pretty much everyone is just rounding out their D corps now. Fowler, Myers, Zaitsev, Butcher all go ahead of my pick. Butcher was sitting at the top of the draft queue for 3-4 rounds now, and I probably would have taken him if he survived till my pick... I ended up with Lindholm instead, once again pretty much built in the 100/100/100 HIT/BS/SOG mould, should get to around the 30-35 point mark...
    Steal of the round - Marleau at 266 could be great value given he should see time with either Matthews or Tavares...

Round 22
    My Pick (276) - Yahoo has Mittelstadt ranked very very high, but he just sat there all draft... he's a very low risk pick for me and probably only used to help supplement Thornton's position... plus the Sabres should shield him with either Okposo/Pominville/Reinhart on 1 side and Skinner/Sobotka/Sheary on the other side, so very little risk here...
    Steal of the round - Perry (278) - yes he'll be out for a while, but once he's in full recovery and sliding back into peak form in Feb/Mar/Apr he could be a great addition to a contending team... Great stash on the IR pick for Proppy!!! Temek with Puljujarviat the 286 pick is also a steal...

Round 23
    My Pick (297) - Some great snags again in this round, Dvorak (287), Spez (288), Nichushkin (292), Namestnikov (295) all were some low-risk, good reward picks. I went with Boychuk in the hopes that Trotz will help him revamp the team defensive game... once again built in the 100/100/100 mould, I can see him mirroring what Niskanen (57th ranked blue-liner with a line of 7 Goals, 22 Assists, 29 points, +24, 36 PIM, 0 PPP, 120 SOG, 117 HIT and 98 BS according to Yahoo! rankings last year). He essentially had the same statline in an injury-plagued 58-game season last year... in a good year, he could see 170/140/150 stat-line...

Round 24
    My Pick (302) - Just another roll of the dice pick really, at this point I don't really see any picks that will pan out, usually at this spot you just pick someone up to hold an initial spot then scour the WW for the weekly flavour of the week early in the season. As I mentioned above, someone has to score in MTL, so I rolled the dice on Tatar. He also helps on the HIT and SOG front. If he doesn't pan out I'm not too fussed...
    Steal of the round - 303 Jost is a good sleeper pick on many radars. I also think Johns could be a great peripheral stat padder 200+ Hits with 150+ BS and 100 SOG too, the lack of points hurts, but 4T2 didn't build his team with a heavy emphasis on point production, so this pick certainly helps to augment his team very well.

Round 25(finally there)
    My Pick (323) - read plenty of last minute good news about Kotkaniemi, dont know if he'll stick the whole season but Julien seems to like him... like the others in the last few rounds, I don't foresee myself keeping him for the entire season... but if he pans out what the hey!
    Steal of the round - Parise (317), Vrana (318) are both super super value picks with Wilson out, Vrana essentially has a top-six spot locked!

Dobber Sports Stud

Was sitting in the 12/13 position, with Ma bookending and Comish on the inside... so I knew going in it was going to be a rough ride!

Actually spent a lot of brainpower thinking through various strategies that I might try out this year, but since none felt "perfect", decided to go with a bit more traditional start based on the guys' past drafting tendencies and how certain stats are trending.

My initial plan was to go D-D off the hop, both of whom were heavier on the PIM-side, find a C faller in Rd 3 and, assuming Comish had taken a G in 1/2, cap with my first goalie in Rd 4.

From there, I wanted to go D3 in Rd 4, with C2, C3 coming in 5/6, and G2/G3 coming in 7/8. Then I'd start mining for value from the wings.

Well like the Train in my new namesake, things started well and then veered off the rails quite substantially as the draft progressed. That's 99% due to the quality GMs drafting... though that 1% is on me as in retrospect, I made some minor missteps along the way that burned me every single time!

Round 1/2: Byfuglien, Vasilevskiy
    Really believed Comish would take Buff if I let him go, so was hellbent on taking him at 12. I actually had ZERO intention of taking a G here, but when Vas when still there, I went with it and crossed my fingers I'd find similar D-value next time I was up to bat.

Round 3/4: Subban, Eichel
    Full disclosure, my pre-draft plan was to take Subban at 13. Yes way too early. But his cross-cat coverage from a D and high PIMs was really key to me executing my strategy. So obviously to see him still there at that point, I was thrilled. Nearly killed me to not take Eichel (my F faller as I'd hoped), and was super relieved when Comish went G-G.

Round 5/6: Draisaitl, Klingberg
    Again, mocks are fun and somewhat helpful, but they rarely go the way I think they will. In my initial mock, I had my hopeful "F Fallers" (that I was interested in) as Eichel, Pavelski, Draisaitl. I was supposed to go with a peripheral D - OEL/Risto - but considering I had Drai as a target one round earlier, his FOW from the W will play nicely into my strategy.
    Now I'm staring a Kling at the top of my list (was sure he'd be gone) and while I didn't really want a low-peripheral guy here... the points upside is just too tempting to resist.

**So initial strategy was to have 3D (check), 1G (check), 2C (quasi-check) by this round. I'm in very decent shape in my mind.**

Round 7/8: M.Smith, B.Elliott (Train starts tilting...)
    These are the rounds that I really needed to deviate from strategy but was so tickled at how the draft had gone, I got a little too lax. Just can't do that with these guys. Again, in my mock, I was stealing the last of a Tier 2 goalie here and rounding it out with a Tier 3 guy. The problem was... my entire Tier 2 was wiped clean. In hindsight, the better play here was to get my #2 C and one Tier 3 G, and build of my initial strategy, accepting that I'd have to take another keeper a bit later on.
    Instead, I bulled through and took 2 keepers from my Tier 3 list. Not the end of the world... but my first real misstep.

Round 9/10: J.Schwartz, M.Rielly (Train has now jumped the track...)
    So yes, I wanted to go Winger/Winger here based on my initial plan, but that was with C2 locked up. Now with Drai in the fold, C2/W2 is the way to get back on track. Instead, I take Schwartz - who I'm happy enough with here as I think his ranking was depressed (you'll see a theme with this) due to missed games... and then like a Klingberg flashback, I'm staring down Rielly who says "you're seriously going to give up your coveted PP1 dman for a C who is way lower on your list?". And really, who am I to argue with Morgan? Right play is a C, or at the very least, another W with some grit... instead I've got a sexy looking D corps.

Round 11/12: C.Atkinson, T.Teravainen (Train is in the ditch... helicopters are hovering)
    Cam screamed out to me because I really felt like I need some G/SOG with my heavy-D start. And TT, despite horr-awful peripherals, I'm pegging for a really strong year points-wise. Take one of them dammit and take a C!!

Round 13/14: O.Klefbom, J.Drouin (Medics are onsite)
    With the large gap between my sets-of-2 picks, I have time to see how I've misstep and start cramming to figure out how I'll get back on track. I give in to my "unbalanced" D corps and decide to grab Klef, how I had ranked MUCH higher in expectation of a great bounce back this year. I'll just have to ensure I snag a Gudas/Zaitsev/Larsson with my D6 to not tank in hits. Drouin was near the top of my list, and really like him at this spot. Only caveat is that I thought he had C/LW (he does in the pool I drafted in yesterday) and I much prefer him either as a W or as my 3/4 C... not my #2C.

Round 15/16: A.Svechnikov, B.Saad (Damage assessed... it's not pretty)
    I really wanted S.Weber here (even before my D missteps) and J.Faulk... and both were sniped much earlier than I anticipated. Honestly almost every single "value" guy I had pegged for these rounds and beyond were gobbled up earlier than I'd hoped. Sometimes you just have to tip your cap to your fellow GMs.
    That said, Saad and Svech were both guys I was keen on this year. Saad for the bounceback (not looking great off the hop but I'm holding out hope) and Svech because I really need Gs and I think he's ready to be an impact guy on the Canes from the get-go.

Round 17/18: C.Anderson, L.Domingue
    Truthfully I'm so off-script by this point, that I just start looking for value in other areas. C.Anderson was one of the last true "starters", and while I didn't plan to draft him, he was a fall-back because I think he's got a Vaclav Prospal-ish thing going... and this year falls in line with a "good" one. Or he might just be too old and playing on what might be the worst team in the league. We'll see.
    L.Domingue was a target after I grabbed Vasy, since I think they'll cut down on Vasy's starts a little more this year after watching him burn out a bit towards the end of last year. 82 gps from TB goalies I'm happy with.

Round 19/20: Little, J.Schultz
    Just grasping for C's now. I had about 5-6 guys (Krejci, Thornton, Brassard, etc.) that I thought I could snag here... but settled for Little as they were all long gone. Hope he can re-discover his mojo playing alongside Laine and at least give me solid FOWs and +/-.
    J.Schultz is a funny one... I hadn't been "queuing" guys throughout the entire draft but had now run out of pre-ranked guys (I ran out of time this morning entering all my pre-ranks). I'm flipping between positions, looking for value... and my screen freezes on D. Timing counter down. Holy hell I'm about to auto-draft M.Marincin!!! Literally with 2 seconds left on my clock I'm able to click the "next" D, who is Schultz, and select him. Not the worst guy to end up with, but I'll now definitely need to make a deal in order to find some more grit on my backend.

Round 21/22: P.Buchnevich/B.Tkachuk
    This is exactly why I was holding off on drafting wingers early. I think Buch could see a solid jump in points this year (bye AV!) and while B.Tkachuk I had hoped to get a bit later (since he was SO off the board in Y! Rankings), I desperately needed to find some more grit somewhere. As long as his +/- doesn't murder me, I like nabbing him here.

Round 23/24/25: A.Wennberg/A.Suomela/V.Zykov
    Who's left that actually takes FOW? Nobody. Ahhhh I see. Ok then, Wennberg it is! Guy had a good year that one time remember? A.Suomela is just a bit of a lottery ticket I'd planned on taking late in the draft. Older guy, turns out he's likely to play with E.Kane/J.Donskoi on L3. Has taken professional face offs before. Eh worth the shot. V.Zykov would have actually been my Rd 23 pick if not for the chasm that is my C depth. Killer goal-scoring in the A and great end of the year last year in the show. Again - worth a shot.

SUMMARY: B-/C+
    So while I feel like I started out on fire, the back 2/3 of my draft I felt were average or below-average. Some picks I like, but I didn't manage the value throughout to the level I'd wanted to. And while it's left me really weak up the middle (potentially), I do think I've got the assets and depth at W/D/G to swing a deal at some point to address it. I'll also need to add a bit more grit, but there's usually plenty of that to stream on the wire as the season progresses. And truthfully, I'd rather be heavier on points than heavier on peripherals to start out the season anyways.

The Wolverine

Draft results added onto the first post.

Dobber Sports Expert

Overall, anything goes with this league, this is the toughest league to win in all of fantasy hockey IMO, so I'm not overly confident in what the potential outcome of this league could be... I've shifted away from my traditional heavy emphasis on the volume peripheral stats of PIM, SOG, FOW, HITs and BS, and focused a bit more on the offensive G, A, P, PPP stats this season. But I didn't entirely neglect those volume stats as I placed a bit more emphasis on those stats with my blue-line corps and fringe guys like Krejci, Silf and Backes... again goalies will hopefully be my strong suit where I can "piece" together some good stats and hope that some of the other teams get their top-tiered goalies offset by a lack of support (Vas-Smith, Rinne-Bishop-Schneider, Helle-Talbot, Holtby-Howard, Rask-Price, Quick-Lundy, Jones-Hutton-Kinkaid, Andersen-Markstrom and Temek's dog's breakfast of Raanta-Grubauer-Saros-DeSmith-Subban-Sparks-Husso...). I've learnt something about being "stingy" with my starts last year, so I'll be a bit more trigger happy this year and look for more "home starts" rather than "home starts plus bottom half of goals scored on the road teams"

Important key position to address is probably my LW, I'm not at all happy with Domi/Pearson/Tatar as my L2/3/4... but usually wings are easier to find throughout the season, and I can always just stream the "hot hand" and piece together some production. I'm still looking for a D6, last year I did find Butcher/Savard/Santini/Theodore/Girard, so I'm not too fussed here. I've got some assets in goalies that I could utilise to get some upgrades in these areas as the season progresses.

As for the stat areas, based on 2017/18 numbers, I'm a bit thin on the PIM front, my boys are looking at the PIM production of around 716 which would project to the lower end of the PIM spectrum from the last couple of years. Same with HIT/BS as based on per game numbers from last year, I'm in the range of 1392 and 1228 which is pretty much middle third/bottom half in that area. At least my point production should increase as I have a point production projection of 920 which should get me outta getting a 2 in that area this season, same with the SOG front... Also a 302 PPP projection, should be a major improvement in that area given the leader in that area last year finished with 316 (with 1 less team).

Definitely interested to see what other GMs are thinking. It's always a pleasure to read other's opinions. Bring on 2018/19!

Good luck gents!

So overall:

C - Tavares, Backstrom, Krejci, Thornton, Mittelstadt, Kotkaniemi
    LW - Couture, Domi, Pearson, Tatar
    RW - Rantanen, Backes, Oshie, Silfverberg, Rattie
    D - Parayko, Faulk, Leddy, Lindholm, Boychuk

G - Bobrovsky, Dubnyk, Allen, Crawford, Luongo

Dobber Sports Demi-God

It is the 8th year of the Rocky Horror Roto Show (RHRS) - the greatest roto league on the planet.
    After an invite prior to year #2, I've managed finishes as follows: 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 9th, 9th.
    Naturally, after the first four finishes - I dwelled on "what went right"... but after the past two seasons, it's time to check my humility at the door and start thinking about "what went wrong".

Two seasons ago, it was three pretty big mistakes:
    1. I drafted a goalie way too early for my own comfort level, 2.I overdrafted a rookie phenom (Larkin), who bombed in his transition to an NHL-center, and 3. I invested in a few too many over-the-hill players in a young man's game.
    Last season, big misses AND big injuries:
    1. Too many early draft D left me way behind on pure points & SOG, 2. Really bad fortune with all goalies not named Hellebuyck, and 3. Team-crippling injuries/off-seasons to high-end picks (Karlsson, ugh, and Weber < 35gp).

This season, I get to re-think about past successes and past failures and settle on (what will hopefully be) a better strategy:
    1. Take the damn BPA. Take sure-fire high-scorers if they are there. Let's try to roster the highest end "skater point" team. Get 12-uber slick forwards, no more are needed.
    2. Get PIM built in. Last year was the last year for fight-prediction. It's done. Micheal Haley & Antoine Roussel don't have jobs this year. If your main players aren't getting normal PIM, forget about finding them.
    3. Goalies. Always key. I'm going after "WINS" only. Carolina goalie(s) as value draft and draft a shit-ton of back-ups for match-ups: 6 to 7.

Away we go...
    1-4: Sidney Crosby. Expected was McDavid/Ovechkin/Crosby... but the #1 pick (temek) showed a hand that he really preferred to value-draft centers. Temek lead with Kucherov, which ended up leaving Crosby on the board. I had planned to take Tyler Seguin - who has a rising FOW & SOG rate the past few years and who, I think, could finish top 3 in fantasy hockey this year. (Kuch-McD-OV-Crosby-Burns-Benn-Hedman)

2-23: Evgeni Malkin. I counted off about 20 gorgeous skaters, so great likelihood another would fall to me. I had Evgeni Malkin's injury-risk, but he was the #1 overall fantasy hockey player (by quite a bit) last year and has perennially been a top five "per game" performer. I'll take it, even with the hit on FOW/elite-C. Not feeling super creative this year, decided to play on the Penny Dreadful horror series with a team name. (Laine-Hall-Giroux-Malkin-Holtby-Trochek-Pastrnak)

Evgeni Dreadful

3-30: Drew Doughty. RHRS has always been a 12-team league, so when the league expanded to 13-teams I very much expected this keen GM group to realize goalie scarcity would rise and make goalies fly in rounds 2-3. Yup, they would go flying. I like to have one rock on D and Doughty has been a 30-50 performer last three seasons. I'll take that. I'm trying to not blow a skater pick and had him as top D after the big four. (Stamkos-M.Jones-Matthews-Doughty-Gibson-Rinne-Rask)

4-49: Evander Kane. Point-wise, I'm not really big on taking Kane here. But he is a top-5 SOG guy, and gets the PIM that needs to be built-in to player stats this year. He would've gone in next 10 picks. (Pavelski-Bishop-Letang-E.Kane-Josi-Gaudreau-PLD)

5-56: Anze Kopitar. Besides having last year's #1 (Malkin) and #2 (Crosby) fantasy players, I was able to add the #7 player (Kopitar). Not sure why he was left on the board so long. This year he gets Kovalchuk added to his line. (Raanta, March, Panarin, Kopitar, Scheifele, Kessel, Price)

6-75: Mitchell Marner. I usually try to stray from non-hitting wingers... but the upside in Marner winging next to any-center in Toronto is huge. Plus PP1 time, plus PLUSES! (ROR-Carlson-Hamilton-Marner-Ehlers-Carter-M.Tkachuk)

Through SIX rounds, there was about 20 goalies gone and maybe 25 defensemen gone.
    Elite GMs learn that elite D are a gravy-path to dominating lesser GMs - something we all get used to, I've done it too.
    Elite GMs look back on seasons and see that solid goaltending is needed to winning a league - in retrospect, yes - but experience suggests there is some crapshoot there, somebody will hit.
    So... with D&G flying, it was a really good year to ZAG on elite PP1 forwards... and that was what I gauged to be in my team's best interest.

7-82: Alexander Radulov. I'm no Radulov fan, but the stats (and PIM!) are there. (S.Jones-Risto-Keller-Radulov-B.Schenn-OEL-Werenski)

8-101: Mike Hoffman. Similar to the Radulov pick, good player - good linemates - good PP unit - solid stats, LW about to thin out a few rounds*. (Getzlaf-Schneider-Yandle-Hoffman-Hornqvist-E.Staal-Grubauer)

9-108: Mathew Barzal. At 108. Wowzers. Yes. Please. (Boeser-Hutton-Arvidsson-Barzal-Granlund-Skinner-Couturier)

10-127: Kyle Palmieri. Again, nothing sexy. Across-the-board stats, PP1 and line1 player. (Varly-JVR-Hubs-Palmieri-Toews-Suter-Shatty)

11-134: Tomas Hertl. I didn't have many players on my "must draft" list, but Hertl - who takes the lion's share of SJ line2 faceoffs - was one. He's ready to pop and showed it in last year's playoffs. With C/LW/RW, it's also FOW from wing - something I usually over-focus on, but 2-3 are needed for top FOW finish, and he's my only wing FOW-guy. (Saros-Muzzin-Connor-Hertl-Ekblad-Point-Nylander). *If I'm not sitting at 4C, Brayden Point is a beauty pick here.

12-153: Ryan Pulock. Pulock is the next young up & comer in multi-cat D. He's pegged at Yahoo! 206 or so... and seemed this was right zone to reach for him. (Kreider-Ziba-RNH-Pulock-Serg-Dadonov-Kadri)

13-160: Anthony Mantha. A player I targeted & got in both RHRS and DobberPRO. PIM/Hit/PP1/line1 all together. He'll be attached to Larkin, they can pop together (Edler-Lee-Toffoli-Mantha-Dahlin-Nurse-Halak)

If you are keeping track at home: C(4), LW(4), RW(3), D(2), G(0).
    Zero goalies. Yes, intentional. I risked it... I wanted to see how far it would fall. Like Winnipeg last year (a theory that was correct), there are often emerging teams with poor goaltenders of previous season. Carolina is that rising team this year. Most forecasters I've seen have them pegged as "fringe playoffs", which is 15-18th best team in 31 team NHL. So when VAN, NJ, CHI, BUF starters are gone... I'll take this here.

14-177: Petr Mrazek. One tip I've learned from past years - don't sleep on breaking news. I have another browser open during the draft where I sort players & refresh news. When Scott Darling popped up with an injury, it made the 50/50 call on a Carolina goalie easy. Mrazek. Hopefully that's 50 starts... 114 to go.

(now, don't get me wrong - this is a Jekyll/Hyde pick. Last year I took both Steve Mason, who I adored, and Connor Hellebuyck, as pure compliment. One big miss, one big hit. Mrazek... could be either as well. I.D.K.)

The draft can be summarized from here for the final 11 picks:
    rd15 James Reimer. FLA is solid, he should get 30-40 starts. 50% wins.
    rd16 Aaron Dell. SJ is solid, he should get 25-30 starts. 60% wins.
    rd17 Ryan Miller. ANA is solid, he should get 20-25 starts. 55% wins.
    rd18 Jon Bernier. DET sucks balls... so these starts are only if they surprise. One does need starts & SVs to compete.
    *The Atlantic is also a shit division - with MON, OTT, BUF all part of the shit-storm shooting for Hughes... so there's 50/50 win-starts there.

My D would be completely filled out with solid peripheral guys... looking for PLUS guys and laying off massive MINUS guys on teams like MON, OTT, BUF, CHI, NJ, etc:
    rd19 Mattias Ekholm. NAS, pluses, spot PP, solid.
    rd20 O.Bjorkstrand. This filled out my RW4 spot. He's a sleeper for points in CBJ, most know.
    rd21 Nikita Zaitsev. TOR, pluses, PIM/HIT/BLK.
    rd22 David Savard. CBJ blueline is banged up, so this is a TOI-play to start the NHL season.
    rd23 Olli Maatta. PIT blueline also banged up, so this is a TOI-play to start the NHL season.
    rd24 Carter Hart. PHI hold-and-pray. Too much upside with Brian Elliott on final year and knowing it.
    rd25 ME Vlasic. SJ, pluses, BLK, maybe spot PP2 time.

Overall - it's a forward-heavy team, with 11/12 forwards going in my first 13 picks. Working on pure points, SOG, PPP, and built-in PIM here.
    It's complimented by plus/peripheral defensemen...
    And hopefully win% value-drafted goalies. (Hoping for 164 starts as: Mrazek-50, Reimer-35, Dell-30, R.Miller-25, Bernier-20, Hart-10)

In projections, I'd imagine/hope this is a top 3 skater unit and a bottom 2 goalie unit.
    The RHRS has gotten REALLY competitive over last few years with better & keener GMs.
    So, if I can rake 80%-85% of 10-skater cats and take 40% of 4-goalie cats, that'll put me in the 3rd-5th range.
    And... after two 9th place finishes... I'll simply take competition and try to restore this cat's humility.

Party on Wayne.