Thread: Rankings: The People vs Dobber

Dobber Sports Master

Default Rankings: The People vs Dobber

With so many (so, so many) rank'em threads started every summer, mostly with prospects, this idea came to me:

Dobber has his rankings posted on the site. They are fantastic. Yet, people want second, third and fourteenth opinions on their personal rankings and in reality, that kind of advice is what the forums are all about. You get a whole set of responses and you make an best-guess based on the aggregate.. or you pick the advice of the forum user you like the most. Many of these ranking threads are accompanied by polls, which is a great feature.

My first thoughts to rank'em threads was always: check the Dobber rankings. That said, people want more opinions and predictions. With that in mind, it got me thinking of what the CFL on TSN does with the affable Chris Schultz and his "Schultz vs the World" section, where he puts his predictions up against the aggregate responses of a poll for weekly football W/L results.

The suggestion is, would the site be open to doing the same with its rankings, creating a feature where a poll could determine the rankings of the players in each category, considering the same factors that does Dobber (talent, wait time, etc.) and seeing how those match up to the forum users or really, the gen populations that follows the site? This could be a forum-only thing, or a site thing, but I think it might be a very popular feature, to which most users would want to participate and it would serve as an audit, of sorts, to match against Dobber's rankings. I don't think I would suggest that it be run as often as Dobber updates his rankings (though I suppose it could..) but perhaps a yearly one, released with the audit that Dobber does every August.

Throwing it out there. Hope it gets seen and discussed. I think it would be worthwhile if the Dobber team has the bandwidth to handle the initiative.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Rankings: The People vs Dobber

I think one of the reasons you see so many of the rank'em threads is because Dobber's list is based on a specific set of criteria. Many leagues have different scoring categories / weights so people are looking for customized rank'em advice specific to their team.
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    With so many (so, so many) rank'em threads started every summer, mostly with prospects, this idea came to me:

Dobber has his rankings posted on the site. They are fantastic. Yet, people want second, third and fourteenth opinions on their personal rankings and in reality, that kind of advice is what the forums are all about. You get a whole set of responses and you make an best-guess based on the aggregate.. or you pick the advice of the forum user you like the most. Many of these ranking threads are accompanied by polls, which is a great feature.

My first thoughts to rank'em threads was always: check the Dobber rankings. That said, people want more opinions and predictions. With that in mind, it got me thinking of what the CFL on TSN does with the affable Chris Schultz and his "Schultz vs the World" section, where he puts his predictions up against the aggregate responses of a poll for weekly football W/L results.

The suggestion is, would the site be open to doing the same with its rankings, creating a feature where a poll could determine the rankings of the players in each category, considering the same factors that does Dobber (talent, wait time, etc.) and seeing how those match up to the forum users or really, the gen populations that follows the site? This could be a forum-only thing, or a site thing, but I think it might be a very popular feature, to which most users would want to participate and it would serve as an audit, of sorts, to match against Dobber's rankings. I don't think I would suggest that it be run as often as Dobber updates his rankings (though I suppose it could..) but perhaps a yearly one, released with the audit that Dobber does every August.

Throwing it out there. Hope it gets seen and discussed. I think it would be worthwhile if the Dobber team has the bandwidth to handle the initiative.
    Isn't this kind of the point of frozen pool etc? I have to admit I'm normally too lazy to compare players on there lol and have more of a gut reaction to deals. I don't play big money leagues so to me it's about fun, but that could be a place people could go more often to get a statistical opinion done for them. In addition, as you mentioned the guide somewhat predicts what dobber and team feel the future will/could bring. Things like cage match do the same although thise are fixed variables (the two guys Rick chooses etc)

At the end of the day it's fun. So your idea seems like one that could add to the fun part of fantasy hockey. There are just so many different formats in leagues that this would be tough to do I would think

Dobber Sports Deity

Dobber has his opinion on where players should be ranked but that doesn't mean its gospel. I'm not saying anything disparaging about his rankings but that doesn't mean I can't have my own opinion on certain kids. I don't always agree with other rankings, Dobbers included so I don't have a problem if someone asks for a 2nd opinion.

I just wish people would do a search first before posting. Chances are someone else has already asked the same question at some point.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Dobber has his opinion on where players should be ranked but that doesn't mean its gospel. I'm not saying anything disparaging about his rankings but that doesn't mean I can't have my own opinion on certain kids. I don't always agree with other rankings, Dobbers included so I don't have a problem if someone asks for a 2nd opinion.

I just wish people would do a search first before posting. Chances are someone else has already asked the same question at some point.
    LOL.
    Agree totally.
    Especially with prospects.
    I like Dobber's rankings, very comparable set up to my league, but with most stuff I hear,
    Take with a grain of salt and adjust to my research and feelings?
    And in the end make a sometimes smart edumacated guess.
    But a great baseline, to work off of.
    Thanks Dobber.
    16 team league, Weekly changes
    32 Players play 20, 2 Goalies, 6 Def, 12 Fwd
    2*G,1*a,+/-*.5,.2* pim
    4*W,-1*L,1*OTL,5*SO
    17 Keepers
    Keepers marked with*
    auto protect under 40 Games
    Goal
    Vejmelka, Markstrom, Forsberg, Alnefelt,
    Ukko-Pekka Luukkoonen
    Defence
    Slavin, Pietrangelo, Girard, Hague, Joseph,
    Matheson, Brannstrom, Jokiharju, Parayko
    Forward
    Gaudreau*, Tuch, Garland, Mangiapane, L’Hereux
    Aho*, McCann, Necas, Stephenson, Zacha,
    Marchessault*, Stone, Reilly Smith, Hall,
    Giroux, Landeskog, Rodrigues, Reilly Smith, Yamamoto

Dobber Sports Master

I literally meant it as a fun/gimmick thing for the site. Yes, I know his rankings are specific to him, using a set of criteria that are specific to one or two formats but that wasn't the point. The point was, using the same criteria, having an aggregate vote for their ranking and then seeing the difference, for fun/comparison purposes. An audit of sorts.. like Schultz vs. the World in football predictions. I thought it would catch more interest or perhaps be better understood. Nevermind lol...
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck