Thread: Rank the Rookie RBs (Dynasty Setting)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Rank the Rookie RBs (Dynasty Setting)

So this has become an annual question of mine. But one of my leagues is a deep 14 team, .5 PPR, 11 player keeper/dynasty setting (meaning, we keep 11 players each year for as long as we want, no associated pick/round penalty). We then have a 5 round draft each year to round out the rosters, which at least at the top effectively turns into a rookie, dynasty-focused draft.

So suffice it to say that rookies are highly sought after ... and rookie/young RBs in particular are incredibly highly valued at the draft given how scarce RBs get in a 14 teamer, how many are kept, and how hard it is to come by young guys with keeper potential.

Personally, given the make-up of my current roster, I'm not all that worried about production this season, and certainly not in the first half of the season.So as I approach the draft tomorrow night, I'm interested in how you rank the top 10 or so rookie RBs LONG TERM --

In approximate order of how I have them on my board:

1) Barkley
    2) Freeman
    3) Michel
    4) Penny
    5) Chubb
    6) Johnson
    7) Guice
    8) Jones
    9) Wilkins
    10) Ballage

I can see lots of room for differences of opinion here. But as I said, I'm not terribly concerned with how these guys perform this year -- of course, landing this year's version of Hunt or Kamara isn't a bad thing (opens up excellent trade possibilities if nothing else). Still, the real wild card for me is Guice. I'd have him #2 on my board if not for the ACL injury earlier this month. There's a part of me that still would take him over Chubb and Johnson, if not for the fact that given my draft position and prior trades there's a chance I'd be able take Chubb/Johnson (if available) and still land Guice with my next pick.

Anyhow, appreciate any thoughts on how you folks rank these guys (or any others you think are worth slipping into the top 10).
    Rep available.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar//Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov/DeSmith

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Rank the Rookie RBs (Dynasty Setting)

For me, it's just a scramble of guesses after Barkley.

I am not as sold on Ballage as I am someone like Kelly, Hines, or Edmonds but as you say, it's all a matter of opinion. Hard to argue with the names you have listed there, no matter the order.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I often consider draft capital. If a team commits draft capital to a RB... then there expected usage increase as well as fantasy value long term.

1. Barkley - drafted 2nd overall.
    2. Penny - drafted 1st round and I think surpasses Carson quickly and has good career.
    3. Chubb - early 2nd round and I think Cleveland is going to be a good team when Chubb and Mayfield develop.
    4. Freeman - early 2nd round and he has the opportunity to play right away.
    5. Johnson - 2nd round draft capital and a team that needs a RB that can do it all.
    6. Michel - first round pick... I know I said i put a lot in draft capital... but I have heard he has knee problems already... not good for a RB... he might be higher based on talented... but long-term I do not see him having as many productive fantasy seasons as those above.
    7. Jones - I think he is better than what we have seen in pre-season. The offensive line gets better and he becomes a stud.
    8. Guice - The injury this early in career scares me... but his talent his there.
    9. Ballage - not as much draft capital but only Drake to compete with as a young RB. Gore will be gone someday... i think.
    10. Wilkins - not as much draft capital invested and they have Mack and Hines that are young options too.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thanks, guys. Need to spread some rep around before getting back to the two of you, but much appreciated.

Anyone else have opinions to share?

W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev

Dobber Sports Titan

12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Veteran

So, thanks again for the feedback.
    As a datapoint for others in the event anyone else has rookie drafts still to go, here's how the RBs went off the board in my draft:

1) Barkley
    2) Freeman
    3) Johnson
    4) Michel
    5) Penny
    6) Jones
    7) Chubb (me)
    8) Guice
    9) Hines
    10) Ballage

Some surprises there to me. But, in any event, that's how it went down.

Thanks again.