Thread: Questions about USDNTP and the USHL

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Questions about USDNTP and the USHL

I am curious about the US National Team Development program

It seems like a pretty interesting setup. I gather they have the U18 and U17 teams split the season, playing against teams in the USHL. From what I can tell, the U18 team tends to dominate their portion of the season, and the U17 team tends to get poor results (presumably because they are all younger). Would having a U18 National team playing against other franchises not be a bit imbalanced? Is it believed this is made up for in the standings by having the younger U17 team play half the season? Does the overall quality of a U18 national Team inflate their stats somewhat due to the quality of teammates, and is this something that is considered when scouts evaluate talent? How does the USHL stack up to CHL leagues, and does the USNTDP tend to produce better prospects than the other USHL teams?

I realize there's a lot here, I just rarely see any discussion of the USHL and I know there's a lot of knowledgeable people here
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Questions about USDNTP and the USHL

One thing you need to know is that the U18 team doesn't just play against USHL teams. A large number of their games throughout the course of the season are against NCAA division 1 competition. So they are playing against 18-22 year olds regularly in the NCAA. And even in the USHL many of the players are 1-2 years older than them.

Dobber Sports Master

I think the conventional wisdom is that the USHL is a weaker league overall than the CHL, outside of some very strong USHL programs that compare favourably to top CHL programs. I think the main issue in knowing the difference is the coverage of the USHL, which for Canadians is much harder to come by than CHL coverage. The CHL gets covered so well in Canada I have to think that Americans can access that. The reverse isn't true. Makes it harder to evaluate IMO.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Giant

The NTDP has produced some really great players over the past several years, with Matthews, Eichel, Keller, Hughes brothers just the past few seasons.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin