Thread: Dynasty League - FA wingers

Dobber Sports Novice

Lightbulb Dynasty League - FA wingers

We just completed our draft for salary-cap points-only league (bonus for special teams). I have an available winger spot needing to be filled in free agency. Who would you target in a dynasty format (FA picks need to be 2+ year contracts)?

I'll rank them as % owned on Fantrax

Dustin Brown (LAK) - 94% owned
    Mikael Backlund (CGY) - 87%
    Corey Perry (ANA) - 87%
    Thomas Vanek (DET) - 84%
    Sam Bennett (CGY) - 83%
    Nick Foligno (CBJ) - 81%
    Milan Lucic (EDM) - 79%
    Alex Steen (STL) - 79%
    Kyle Okposo (BUF) - 77%
    Connor Sheary (BUF) 77%
    Matthieu Perrault (WPG) 74%
    Ryan Strome (EDM) - 73%
    Thomas Tatar (VGK) - 71%
    Zach Parise (MIN) - 69% (nice)

I figure bidding will be fierce for Dustin Brown. The ones I was looking at are the Thomases - but is Vanek worth it for 2 years? Figure Tatar has to improve and may get some PP time. Parise also interests me but health history scares me.

Thoughts? Thanks!

The Magnificent One

Default Re: Dynasty League - FA wingers

Pretty sorry group....lol. But you already knew that. The one I'd probably go with is Okposo - I think he'll still be on PP1 and could also have a rebound in general. Parise to a similar extent, although I'd put Okposo a notch higher. I think Brown will be hurt by Kovalchuk and I don't trust either Thomas.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Initiate

Okposo or Tatar. Whichever you would rather root for.

12-team yahoo head-to-head with daily starts. 24-man rosters. Keep 8.
    4 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 2 F, 6 D, 1 G, 5 BN, 3 IR+
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FW, HIT, BLK, W, GAA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Giant

I think I like Okposo here, too. As Rizzee said, he should be a lock for PP1 deployment and regular minutes in a much-improved forward group - likely lining up next to Mittelstadt and either of Skinner/Sheary. The other name who interests me more than the rest is actually Perry. I realize he's on the downswing of his career, but he is still going to get favorable usage with Getzlaf given the nature of his massive contract, and he is going to be a staple of the PP1 unit. I think his ceiling right now is probably about 65 points if everything breaks right, but with a healthy Getzlaf around I like his chances.

Steen and Parise are also pretty interesting choices. Steen should be a lock for top-six and probably PP1, depending on how the lines shake out for STL. Parise, on the other hand, may be a bit less exciting in terms of the PP units (as Minnesota likes to split time between two units), but his production down the stretch when he was finally healthy is pretty encouraging. Regardless of which line he ends up on, he should be a solid bet to reach 60 points if he can stay healthy. If Minnesota ends up shaking things up, and going with a stacked PP1 unit, that could help him even more.

I think ultimately I would rank these guys Okposo > Perry > Parise > Steen.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Veteran

Honestly, I'd go Sheary here. His cap hit is around 1/2 of what the majority of these guys are making, with a good upside playing on one of the top 2 lines in Buffalo.
    16 Team - Keep 5 - H2H Points
    Start: 2C/2LW/2RW/4D/2G - 4Bench
    G/A(1.25) STP(1.5) GWG(3) SOG(0.25) H(0.2) Blks(0.25) +/-(0.25) PIM(0.1) FOW(0.1)

C: Malkin, Kopitar, Hartman, Johansen
    LW: Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Barbashev (C)
    RW: Rust, Mangiapane (LW), Rodrigues (LW)
    D: DeAngelo, Karlsson, Faulk, Morrisey, Myers
    G: A. Forsberg, Price, Reimer, Holtby

Dobber Sports Genius

I am tempted to go with Sam Bennett. He is entering his 4th year and just turned 22. He is the outlier in this group. There will be over-priced older players on the WW all season long. I can see Bennett scoring 40-45 points, why not? New coach, maybe a new role. 45 points is all I really see for any of the guys on that list. Sam Bennett doing it for $1.9M is better value than the others. If you have to sign him to a two-year contract then this would be a boom-or-bust puck up on your part... but that is the stage of the 'draft' you are at.

Question: Do you have to pick up someone now and sign them to a two year contract? Leaving that winger spot open for the next while will allow you to pick up and someone once training camps are well underway. You may have a better idea of who is pulling ahead of the pack. You also avoid making a possible dog of a pick then having to suffer with it on a two year contract.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Icon

I'd go with Okposo. Buffalo's going to be a lot better and he should figure into that.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post

Question: Do you have to pick up someone now and sign them to a two year contract? Leaving that winger spot open for the next while will allow you to pick up and someone once training camps are well underway. You may have a better idea of who is pulling ahead of the pack. You also avoid making a possible dog of a pick then having to suffer with it on a two year contract.
    Yep, we have to act on all free agents within the next week. Risky.

Thanks for the responses so far, everyone. Okposo seems to be the favorite here but there's enough variety in your picks to make it interesting. Salary cap may have been misleading, we don't have to use current salaries for free agents, just for drafted. So it's all about bidding now and trying to get value without overpaying. So Sam Bennett shouldn't be more valuable now than Zach Parise, for example. I guess we'll see how bidding goes!