Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Auction Draft Strategy

  1. #1
    Location
    Canada
    Rep Power
    7

    Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

    Default Auction Draft Strategy

    I have an auction draft coming up and just wondering what strategy is best when bidding on players? Other than obviously get the best players at the cheapest price!
    Looks like it will be a 12 team league, but potentially 14.

    $200 to spend - Where are you investing your money? - I'll pick up a defense & kicker for $1 each so that leaves me $198 for the following positions.

    Start - QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R/T

    I guess the question I'm asking is - Spend a lot on top end guys and fill holes with depth players, or spread my money out and get average players at every position?
    10 Team Roto - Keep 16
    G, A, PPG, SHG, PIM, +/-, SPCT, GAA, W
    Start 12F/6D/3G + 6B

    F: Draisaitl, Hall, Landeskog, Malkin, Panarin, Rantanen, DeBrincat, Hischier, Duchene, Toews, Steen, Zucc, Bjugstad, Backlund, Marleau
    D: Doughty, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Subban, Weber, Spurgeon, Lindell, Matheson
    G: Lundqvist, Smith, Schneider, Ward

    16 Team H2H Keep $20 (Auction Draft)
    PT=1PT, 1PIM=.25
    Start 9F/6D/1G + 5B

    F: Gaudreau, Kucherov, Panarin, T. Johnson, Pastrnak, Barkov, Barzal, Rantanen, Neal
    D: Josi, Subban, Klingberg, Krug, Trouba
    G: Rask

  2. #2
    Rep Power
    40

    Dobber Sports Monster

    Default Re: Auction Draft Strategy

    use the fantasy pros calculator and see where you are getting value when it comes draft time!!

    https://draftwizard.fantasypros.com/...on=Y&sport=nfl

    I would save money on QB and buy Rivers/Manning, and Winston late for cheap!

    Or another strategy is to nominate Rivers early and hopefully everyone is set on a different quarterback and you get your quarterback early at a cheap price and then fill out the rest.

    Another strategy is to toss out a kicker like Gostowski early... and if noone else bids you get the best kicker for a dollar, or someone else outbids you and wastes valuable dollars on a kicker early.

    One thing I saw (but wouldn't reccomend) is tossing out David Johnson early.... but not the David Johnson that everyone wants for 60 bucks... David Johnson the tight end... and see if anyone bites on bidding big dollars. At the worst... you risk $1 and roster spot if noone bites.

  3. #3
    Location
    Canada
    Rep Power
    7

    Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

    Default Re: Auction Draft Strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    use the fantasy pros calculator and see where you are getting value when it comes draft time!!

    https://draftwizard.fantasypros.com/...on=Y&sport=nfl

    I would save money on QB and buy Rivers/Manning, and Winston late for cheap!

    Or another strategy is to nominate Rivers early and hopefully everyone is set on a different quarterback and you get your quarterback early at a cheap price and then fill out the rest.

    Another strategy is to toss out a kicker like Gostowski early... and if noone else bids you get the best kicker for a dollar, or someone else outbids you and wastes valuable dollars on a kicker early.

    One thing I saw (but wouldn't reccomend) is tossing out David Johnson early.... but not the David Johnson that everyone wants for 60 bucks... David Johnson the tight end... and see if anyone bites on bidding big dollars. At the worst... you risk $1 and roster spot if noone bites.
    Awesome, the calculator will help a lot.

    Our league has a bunch of trolls so the kickers & defense nominations come out in the first round all the time lol.

    I usually go cheap on QB's and like you said, find a mid tier guy for a great value however my last 2 years I've placed in the top 3 and my QBs usually are the position that let me down so I was thinking of going for one of the top dogs. Maybe I'll stay the course and see what happens this year, but if they let me down again I'll hate myself lol

    The David Johnson TE nom is awesome, and I'll seriously consider it since like I mentioned my league is full of trolls!
    10 Team Roto - Keep 16
    G, A, PPG, SHG, PIM, +/-, SPCT, GAA, W
    Start 12F/6D/3G + 6B

    F: Draisaitl, Hall, Landeskog, Malkin, Panarin, Rantanen, DeBrincat, Hischier, Duchene, Toews, Steen, Zucc, Bjugstad, Backlund, Marleau
    D: Doughty, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Subban, Weber, Spurgeon, Lindell, Matheson
    G: Lundqvist, Smith, Schneider, Ward

    16 Team H2H Keep $20 (Auction Draft)
    PT=1PT, 1PIM=.25
    Start 9F/6D/1G + 5B

    F: Gaudreau, Kucherov, Panarin, T. Johnson, Pastrnak, Barkov, Barzal, Rantanen, Neal
    D: Josi, Subban, Klingberg, Krug, Trouba
    G: Rask

  4. #4
    Rep Power
    40

    Dobber Sports Monster

    Default Re: Auction Draft Strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    Awesome, the calculator will help a lot.

    Our league has a bunch of trolls so the kickers & defense nominations come out in the first round all the time lol.

    I usually go cheap on QB's and like you said, find a mid tier guy for a great value however my last 2 years I've placed in the top 3 and my QBs usually are the position that let me down so I was thinking of going for one of the top dogs. Maybe I'll stay the course and see what happens this year, but if they let me down again I'll hate myself lol

    The David Johnson TE nom is awesome, and I'll seriously consider it since like I mentioned my league is full of trolls!
    Then get those trolls good!! just hopefully your first nomination comes before the real David Johnson gets drafted! haha

  5. #5
    Location
    Canada
    Rep Power
    7

    Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

    Default Re: Auction Draft Strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Then get those trolls good!! just hopefully your first nomination comes before the real David Johnson gets drafted! haha
    Lmao that's true, I'll let you know how it goes
    10 Team Roto - Keep 16
    G, A, PPG, SHG, PIM, +/-, SPCT, GAA, W
    Start 12F/6D/3G + 6B

    F: Draisaitl, Hall, Landeskog, Malkin, Panarin, Rantanen, DeBrincat, Hischier, Duchene, Toews, Steen, Zucc, Bjugstad, Backlund, Marleau
    D: Doughty, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Subban, Weber, Spurgeon, Lindell, Matheson
    G: Lundqvist, Smith, Schneider, Ward

    16 Team H2H Keep $20 (Auction Draft)
    PT=1PT, 1PIM=.25
    Start 9F/6D/1G + 5B

    F: Gaudreau, Kucherov, Panarin, T. Johnson, Pastrnak, Barkov, Barzal, Rantanen, Neal
    D: Josi, Subban, Klingberg, Krug, Trouba
    G: Rask

  6. #6
    Location
    Pegulaville
    Rep Power
    40

    Moderator

    Default Re: Auction Draft Strategy

    Having drafted in several, I can tell you first hand take all your plans and cheat sheets...and throw them out the window. lol sorry.

    Proxy or non-proxy bid and is it a slow draft or live?

    league settings? Rosters? Talk to me...
    @SmittysRant

  7. #7
    Location
    Canada
    Rep Power
    7

    Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

    Default Re: Auction Draft Strategy

    PPR league, starting roster is above with 5 bench spots. Live draft, non-proxy.
    10 Team Roto - Keep 16
    G, A, PPG, SHG, PIM, +/-, SPCT, GAA, W
    Start 12F/6D/3G + 6B

    F: Draisaitl, Hall, Landeskog, Malkin, Panarin, Rantanen, DeBrincat, Hischier, Duchene, Toews, Steen, Zucc, Bjugstad, Backlund, Marleau
    D: Doughty, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Subban, Weber, Spurgeon, Lindell, Matheson
    G: Lundqvist, Smith, Schneider, Ward

    16 Team H2H Keep $20 (Auction Draft)
    PT=1PT, 1PIM=.25
    Start 9F/6D/1G + 5B

    F: Gaudreau, Kucherov, Panarin, T. Johnson, Pastrnak, Barkov, Barzal, Rantanen, Neal
    D: Josi, Subban, Klingberg, Krug, Trouba
    G: Rask

  8. #8
    Location
    Pegulaville
    Rep Power
    40

    Moderator

    Default Re: Auction Draft Strategy

    I've only done slow auctions...but general principals apply I would assume. Be patient. Don't price enforce. spend 150 on your top 4 players (skill...non-QBs) fill in the rest.
    @SmittysRant

  9. #9
    Bazz's Avatar
    Bazz is offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,129
    Rep Power
    20

    Dobber Sports Padawan

    Default Re: Auction Draft Strategy

    This weekend I did 2 different ones for friends: here are the results.

    PPR (12 Team)
    Jimmy G $2
    Big Ben $1
    McCaffrey $49
    Freeman $20
    Hyde $4
    Kerroyn Johnson $3
    Devonte Adams $48
    Tyreek Hill $39
    Josh Gordon $16
    Marquise Goodwin $5
    Cooper Kupp $2
    John Ross $1
    Keelan Cole $1
    Trey Burton $1
    Broncos $1
    Gould $1

    Non PPR (12 Team)
    Carr $3
    Trubisky $1
    Kareem Hunt $49
    McCaffery $45
    Freeman $28
    Alfred Morris $1
    Buck Allen $1
    Adams $43
    Gordon $15
    Edelman $5
    Doctson $2
    Ross $1
    OJ Howard $1
    McDonald $1
    Broncos $3
    Gould $1

    I really like the PPR team. My strat is if it's non PPR two high profile RB and your flex a mid level RB 1. If it's PPR I want two WR 1s and a good RB 1. In the PPR Gurley was 60 Antonio Brown was 60, Nuke and Julio were 50+.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

    C Scheifele Kuzy Wenneberg Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Sobotka
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis MacAvoy
    R Dvorak Kase Schmaltz Anston-Reese Lindell Dahlin

    G Crawford C Anderson
    R Kuemper

    M Thomas White Bjork Klostin Raddysh Senyshyn Tolvanen Kravtsov Ylonen Dobson Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen


  10. #10
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Samurai

    Default Re: Auction Draft Strategy

    I'm curious if using like 80% of your cap on 3 guys and then the rest be like $1-5 guys is the way to go. I always look at my teams I drafted and the team at the end of the year. It's like 4-5 guys I draft I end up owning at the end of the year.

    That being said, your value picks I like are:
    The QBs
    Josh Gordon
    Goodwin
    Edelman
    Hyde
    Kerroyn
    D.Freeman - could be a top 10 player, for below $30
    12 team, H2H, 6 keeper league (Keepers in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, +/-, PPP, PIM, FW
    W, GAA, S%, Saves
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G
    C: Backstrom, Stamkos, Petterson
    RW: Tarasenko, Marner, Stone
    LW: Huberdeau, Couture (C), Konecny (RW)
    D: Karlsson, Hamilton, Dumba, Barrie, Chabot
    G: Andersen, Dubnyk, Raanta

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •