Thread: Draft Day Prep For 12 Team Keeper League

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Draft Day Prep For 12 Team Keeper League

Hey all - so keepers are in and the draft is next Sunday. This is a 12 team, keep 4 player (without penalty) PPR league. I was fortunate enough to have a great set of keepers. This is my current team, along with available positions to fill.

QB:
    RB1: Kareem Hunt
    RB2:
    WR1: Julio Jones
    WR2: Michael Thomas
    WR3: Keenan Allen
    TE:
    Flex:
    DST:
    K:

I also acquired the second overall pick of the draft after a big offseason trade. So, after winning the league last year, I will be picking 2nd and 12th in the first round. According to ESPN's PPR rankings, these are the top players remaining on the board...

Saquon Barkley (6), Devonta Freeman (19), LeSean McCoy (23), Larry Fitzgerald (27), Demaryius Thomas (34), Allen Robinson (35), Golden Tate (37), Jarvis Landry (40), Marvin Jones (41), Kenyan Drake (42), Brandin Cooks (44), Royce Freeman (45), Derrick Henry (46), Alex Collins (47), Jay Ajayi (48), Ronald Jones (49), Marshawn Lynch (50), Dion Lewis (51), etc...

To help understand the landscape of the league, only the following QBs are available - Russell Wilson (5), Kirk Cousins (9), Matthew Stafford (10), Patrick Mahomes (13) and beyond.

And the following TEs - Greg Olsen (4), Delanie Walker (5), Evan Engram (6), Jordan Reed (8) and beyond.

End information bomb.

As you can see, we had a really weird offseason of QB keepers. Some teams had really poor rosters and decided to keep 2 QBs, depleting the depth at the position. It's a one QB league. Currently, only 3 teams besides mine are without a QB, including one notorious for waiting until the end. If I don't grab Wilson (I had him last year), I'm locked into a mid-range option.

It's already confirmed that first overall will be taking Barkley. With a glaring hole at RB2, Devonta Freeman seems like a no brainer for me at second overall. I'm stunned he wasn't kept, and that allows me to move on from my RB2 of last season LeSean McCoy who could be disciplined at any time and has a terrible supporting cast. With only Freeman and McCoy at RB within the top 41 overall players, I'm thinking I take Freeman at second and sprint away having two RBs and three WRs in the top 19 players as my core. Anyone want to talk me out of that?

Then what? At 12, what is my priority? There are a ton of quality WRs, and if a Landry type if available at 12, it would be difficult not to fill the flex. Do I jump at one of the three remaining upper end TEs? Do I make a quick play for Russell Wilson if he is there? Who knows what will last until pick 12 of round 2.

Right now, I'm thinking D. Freeman at 2, and a high end WR at 12 if available. If Fitz, Thomas, Robinson and Landry are off the board, I would look at a rookie RB like R. Freeman (but he'll probably be gone in a dynasty league), or maybe one of the TEs. What's your thoughts, team?

Really appreciate this huge draft day prep help! Will be happy to give my thoughts on your league in return.

Default Re: Draft Day Prep For 12 Team Keeper League

This is not a snake draft, I assume.

I definitely like Freeman with the 2nd overall pick. Solid core of WR/RBs. I would target Cousins or Stafford with your second rounder. Everyone is avoiding Jordan Reed like the plague so wait on TEs, grab Reed later and be sure to pair him with a late round upside TE like Rick Seals-Jones (in the event of injury break glass and use). Seals-Jones could double duty as Reed's back-up and also wind up being an unexpected flex play for you too.

As for your 12th overall pick bolster your WR/RB group with a player you can flex too. Avoid Drake and Cooks, and Freeman and Henry. Target Landry, Ajayi, Tate, Dion Lewis...in no particular order.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Titan

2nd and 12th should just be BPA. Be aware though the new rule of offensive players leading with their helmet is going into place this yr, and Freeman does that before every tackle, and always has concussions. I'd take freeman, but trade him for another RB.

I'm not drafting McCoy unless he's there at 12, in a PPR league, having a lead back in your flex is still a plus.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Thanks for the thoughts so far guys.

@bomm - No, it's not snake, so I'm 12 every round. If I'm targeting a QB in the 2nd, I feel like it should be Wilson. If he's gone, I don't envision Cousins/Stafford going that quickly, but I think it's fair to see who is left. If one of those higher end TEs remain, it might be tempting. But with only a few teams needing QBs, waiting a bit could allow for huge value elsewhere. I like most of your "avoid" list, but you don't like Royce Freeman?

@2014 - I could attempt to trade Freeman or even the 2nd overall pick for another RB currently ranked below him, but that tweener range is limited. Do I target a McKinnon type? Also, if McCoy is available at 12, I wouldn't hesitate much. But, with position demand, I'm thinking someone takes a gamble before that.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Don't spend a first on Wilson. See if he is there for your second. If not I wait and take one of Stafford or Cousins. They are both formidable options given your keepers!!

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Don't spend a first on Wilson. See if he is there for your second. If not I wait and take one of Stafford or Cousins. They are both formidable options given your keepers!!
    On board with Freeman at 2 and best flex at 12?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by WeissAsNice View Post
    On board with Freeman at 2 and best flex at 12?
    Yes. Freeman at #2 is the for sure choice... unless Barkley is not selected.

And best flex at # 12. If Olsen or Walker are available for you at end of 2nd... I might consider them there... but likely wait on Reed like Bomm said earlier.

I compare Reed to Ian Kinsler in baseball. He was injury prone until he wasn't injury prone anymore... and once he wasn't he was a huge 2B asset!

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    This
    @SmittysRant

So this went pretty well. Grabbed D. Freeman at 2nd overall, and landed Landry at 12. Russell Wilson fell to my final round 2 spot, and I grabbed Delanie Walker later to fill the TE spot, and eventually paired him with a crazy falling Trey Burton later in the draft. My RB and WR depth includes Calvin Ridley, Kenny Golladay, Peyton Barber, Jordan Wilkins and Bilal Powell.