Thread: Who to draft?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Who to draft?

Ok, on my rebuild team i have the 2nd and 4th overall picks. Another owner has the 1st and 3rd, he's on record as saying he's taking Dahlin 1st which is fine by me as Im just as high on Svenchnikov as i am Dahlin. He has told me he's looking at Zadina or Hughes as his other pick. I'm assuming he will likely go with Zadina as Dahlin is a defenseman, but you never know. So realistically i could have any 2 of the following available as my 2nd pick, Zadina Hughes, Tkachuk.

Out of those 3 who would you pick? In my leagues usually the top 3 of the recent draft go top of first round and the rest ignored until later rounds. Although living in B.C. someone always steps up first round to take Vancouver's top ten pick.So if i pass on hughes he's gone for sure. I'm thinking if Zadina goes 3rd i should grab hughes and then hope to snag tkachuk 2nd round. What do you guys think?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Re: Who to draft?

Who else is available in the draft? Id say go Svechnikov 2 and Tkachuk 4 (assuming Zadina goes 3)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Personally I'd go with Zadina. More offensively gifted. Do you really think Tkachuk would be available in the 2nd round? I'm no poolie expert but he's got value attached to his name and there aren't many people I can think of that wouldn't pick him in the 1st round. If Zadina is gone, I'd take Tkachuk. What about Wahlstrom or Kravtsov?
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Prodigy

If Zadina is available at 4, you have to take him. Adding Zadina & Svechnikov in one draft will be a huge get. Then you can target a D in the second round (likely at least Dobson or someone similar will be there, I'd imagine).

If he's gone, I would take Hughes over Tkachuk. Your D & F seem to be about equal, but I find D harder to obtain (at least in my league). Hughes just seems to be incredibly dynamic. Granted your league counts PIMs, which favours Tkachuk.
    12 Team Keeper League, 28 Player Roster

G, A, PTS, +/-, PPG, SHG, GWG, PPA, HT, GHHT
    W, GA, SV, SHO

C: Barkov, Barzal, Dubois, Point
    LW: Fiala, Guentzel, Huberdeau, Svechnikov
    RW: Ehlers, Kyrou,​S. Reinhart, Tomasino
    D: Bouchard, Ekblad, Makar, R. Merkley, Rielly, Theodore
    Bench: K. Johnson, Harley
    Minors: Johnston, McTavish, Clarke
    G: Saros, Thompson

I anticipate zadina being gone. Last year the 1st round went as follows hischier, McAvoy, and Patrick first 3 picks. Peterson went a couple picks later. I had 3rd and took Patrick who I moved in a trade.mid season.

It was my first season in the league although over half the gms from my other league are in this one so the trends are similar. Had i been in the league the previous season there Is no way McAvoy would have been available. I took Yamamoto 6th round and heiskanen in the 7th. I picked up makar,tippet and glass during free agent frenzy. Flipped glass and tippet for a 1st round lottery pick (4th overall) mid season and picked up mittelstadt and tolvanen to replace them a few weeks before the world juniors.

It seems the other gms lose interest after the first couple top picks. Then they climb all over each other after the world juniors to grab the standouts.

I prefer to grab the best prospects before the season begins. Then monitor the chl leagues and the NCAA and khl and move players who underperform while they still hold blue chip status and replace with prospects who are increasing their value during the season. I grab them before the world juniors as every sunday we get one waiver wire pick first come 1st serve.

So judging by trends I figure if zadina is gone then I should grab hughes before a van fan picks and hope tkachuk falls to 2nd round. It's quite conceivable tkachuk falls all the way to 7th round but I rather not risk it. My team is so ridiculously cheap cap wise I can pick up good players later who are being passed over simply due to over priced salary.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Glenmerry gangsters View Post
    I anticipate zadina being gone. Last year the 1st round went as follows hischier, McAvoy, and Patrick first 3 picks. Peterson went a couple picks later. I had 3rd and took Patrick who I moved in a trade.mid season.

It was my first season in the league although over half the gms from my other league are in this one so the trends are similar. Had i been in the league the previous season there Is no way McAvoy would have been available. I took Yamamoto 6th round and heiskanen in the 7th. I picked up makar,tippet and glass during free agent frenzy. Flipped glass and tippet for a 1st round lottery pick (4th overall) mid season and picked up mittelstadt and tolvanen to replace them a few weeks before the world juniors.

It seems the other gms lose interest after the first couple top picks. Then they climb all over each other after the world juniors to grab the standouts.

I prefer to grab the best prospects before the season begins. Then monitor the chl leagues and the NCAA and khl and move players who underperform while they still hold blue chip status and replace with prospects who are increasing their value during the season. I grab them before the world juniors as every sunday we get one waiver wire pick first come 1st serve.

So judging by trends I figure if zadina is gone then I should grab hughes before a van fan picks and hope tkachuk falls to 2nd round. It's quite conceivable tkachuk falls all the way to 7th round but I rather not risk it. My team is so ridiculously cheap cap wise I can pick up good players later who are being passed over simply due to over priced salary.
    Just total curiosity but how would Tkachuk fall to the 7th round?
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Same as heiskanen fell to the 7th the season prior and makar went undrafted

It's weird in both leagues after the top 2 or 3 pick from the first round of the nhl draft everyone else gets ignored til later in the season after the world juniors happen. Then the first waiver wire opening everyone is sitting there like vultures trying to scoop the stand outs

Dobber Sports Padawan

Of those 3, I?d go Zadina, failing that tkachuk, failing that Hughes. I feel like your rebuild team in your sig needs F more than D anyway