Thread: 2019 vs 2020 Draft Classes

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default 2019 vs 2020 Draft Classes

20tm multicat salary keeper.

I know its way too soon for anything definitive. But, what is your opinion on which will be the better draft class, 2019 or 2020? I have a chance to make this trade:

MY
    2019 1st

for

THEIR
    2019 2nd
    2020 1st

I need Dman depth the next two years in drafting. None of the picks will probably be in the top 3 picks in any year, barring extreme luck. Opinions?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: 2019 vs 2020 Draft Classes

I don't understand these deals. They seem to be made out of boredom & wanting to trade for trading sake rather than serving any real purpose. future picks for future picks are the most speculative thing that comes down the pipe in fantasy hockey. If you want/need D depth, there's better ways to get it. For starters, trade your pick straight up for a D prospect.

I would not do this deal based on feelings presented
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I don't understand these deals. They seem to be made out of boredom & wanting to trade for trading sake rather than serving any real purpose. future picks for future picks are the most speculative thing that comes down the pipe in fantasy hockey
    Well put and great point.

Dobber Sports Titan

1) The top player in both drafts is going to be a stud - likely irrelevant.
    2) Past that, we don't know nearly enough about either class to say anything definitive. The 2020 class is 16 now. Were any of us at our peak at 16? I sure wasn't.
    3) Why delay one of your assets by another year? If you want to gain a smaller asset, trade someone for a pick and pick up a replacement from the FA pile.
    4) Luca makes a good point too. That is unless you're gunning to try and land a top 2 pick in a draft.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

I would do this deal no problem and in fact make many of these deals, usually on draft day though.

You get a free second rounder by waiting a year? Sign me up......Not sure who would be available with these picks but with the info provided I would do it without hesitation.

Dobber Sports Icon

The only way I would not take this deal is if I don't think my team is going to be very good in 2019 or if I don't think the league is going to last long enough for a 2020 pick to have any value. I almost always think my team is going to be one of the better teams in my league so trading away a late 1st round pick for a 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick is always a great deal. It's a free 2nd round pick and likely picking higher in the first round (albeit a year later but my dynasty league has been around for 18 years and I expect it continue for a while longer so 1 year or 2 years away makes no difference).

Would you make this trade?

You get a 2nd round pick and you give up nothing

That's what I thought! Take the deal.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I don't understand these deals. They seem to be made out of boredom & wanting to trade for trading sake rather than serving any real purpose. future picks for future picks are the most speculative thing that comes down the pipe in fantasy hockey. If you want/need D depth, there's better ways to get it. For starters, trade your pick straight up for a D prospect.

I would not do this deal based on feelings presented
    I agree with the whole first part of the post. I am not ready to say no to the offer yet.

I am curious though. Where are both teams as far as where they are in the standings at the end of this past season? Is his team a top team and your team a bottom one? Where do you project the 2019 picks to be knowing what you know today?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I agree with the whole first part of the post. I am not ready to say no to the offer yet.

I am curious though. Where are both teams as far as where they are in the standings at the end of this past season? Is his team a top team and your team a bottom one? Where do you project the 2019 picks to be knowing what you know today?
    Guess I should have included this. I was 1st last year they were last(20th).

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by BlackhawksFan View Post
    Guess I should have included this. I was 1st last year they were last(20th).
    Even more of a no brainer. Move back a couple spots and get a 2nd rounder.

Yes please.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Even more of a no brainer. Move back a couple spots and get a 2nd rounder.

Yes please.
    I think you meant move back a couple of spots and get a free 1st unless I'm missing something

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by roenick27 View Post
    I think you meant move back a couple of spots and get a free 1st unless I'm missing something
    Thats what I meant

Dobber Sports Padawan

I actually can?t understand why the other guy would make this offer. Unless his team is full of guys guaranteed to break out, and your team is abot to hit a wall of old age and salary, he is potentially giving up Alexis Lafreniere or whoever for a late first. Oh and throwin in a second on top of that. What is he thinking?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Any input on the draft classes rather than the quality of the question?

I see

2019:
    Jack Hughes
    Newhook
    Turcotte

2020:
    Lafreniere
    Holtz
    Barron

With Lafreniere with the same PPG as Nate MacKinnon in his rookie season with QMJHL he looks real good

With Jack Hughes doubling Austin Matthews numbers he looks like McDavid+/-

That with guys like Turcotte and Newhook I would be leaning towards 2019 draft class quite heavily. Though that degree could change.
    18 team Dynasty Head 2 Head - 25 man Roster - (Keep as many as you want)
    G A P PPA PPG HITS GWG SOG
    W SV% SHO