Thread: Trade Offer: Werenski+ for Keller

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Trade Offer: Werenski+ for Keller

Hi Everyone,

I have just been offered Werenski plus 2 second round picks (#10 and #13, 8 team league) for Keller. Our draft is basically a free agent draft. Any NHL team affiliated player not already owned.

Adding Werenski would solidify my defense for years to come. Having a young core of d-men like Jones, Werenski, Ekblad, Pulock and Butcher is pretty enticing. I hate to give up Keller though. What do you guys think?

Thanks for any input.
    9 Team Dynasty Pool. 30 Players, 20 Active (12 F, 6 D, 2 G). 10 Reserves. 20 Roster moves allowed per season.
    Forwards Points Only, D Points, Hits, Blocks, Goalies Wins and Shutouts.
    Drop 10 players in the offseason for free agent draft before season.

Forwards: Barzal, Forsberg, Guentzl, Buchnevic, Barkov, W. Nylander, P. Kane, Crosby, Fiala, Zibanejad, Vrana, Zuccarello, Pavelski, Tarasenko, Kreider, B. Schenn
    Defence: Fox, Sergachev, Pietrangelo, Letang, Karlsson, Hamilton, Spurgeon, Sandin, Boqvist, Matheson

Goal: Hellebuyck, Campbell, Skinner, Murray

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Trade Offer: Werenski+ for Keller

So it ends up with (20+10)*8=240 players kept? And you would have two extra picks around the 250 range?
    If you're confident in your drafting vs your leagmuemates, then I would say it's close. Keller is certainly the best player in the deal, and that's always tough to give up. Is there any chance you can condense the two picks into one piece that's a little more valuable to you?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    So it ends up with (20+10)*8=240 players kept? And you would have two extra picks around the 250 range?
    If you're confident in your drafting vs your leagmuemates, then I would say it's close. Keller is certainly the best player in the deal, and that's always tough to give up. Is there any chance you can condense the two picks into one piece that's a little more valuable to you?
    We have 8 gms. Each team holds 30 players during the season, of which 20 (6 must be defensemen, and 2 goalies) are active. The remaining 10 players are kind of like a taxi squad. We are allowed to make 20 roster moves during the season. At the end of the season, we must protect 20 players, and the remaining players go back into the free agent pool. So you're looking at 160 protected players total. So you're looking at 2018 draftees, plus everyone else. Hope I explained that okay.
    9 Team Dynasty Pool. 30 Players, 20 Active (12 F, 6 D, 2 G). 10 Reserves. 20 Roster moves allowed per season.

Forwards: Barzal, Forsberg, Guentzl, Buchnevic, Barkov, W. Nylander, P. Kane, Crosby, Fiala, Zibanejad, Vrana, Zuccarello, Pavelski, Tarasenko, Kreider, B. Schenn
    Defence: Fox, Sergachev, Pietrangelo, Letang, Karlsson, Hamilton, Spurgeon, Sandin, Boqvist, Matheson

Dobber Sports Jedi

so D are the only ones that accumulate hits and blocks? and forwards are points only? That really lowers Werenski's value - you need multi-cat studs on D, not light hitting/blocking Werenski. This set up makes peripheral D essential to doing well. Someone like Boroweicki would hold similar value to Werenski based on his massive hit totals.

I keep Keller here.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by buddha71 View Post
    We have 8 gms. Each team holds 30 players during the season, of which 20 (6 must be defensemen, and 2 goalies) are active. The remaining 10 players are kind of like a taxi squad. We are allowed to make 20 roster moves during the season. At the end of the season, we must protect 20 players, and the remaining players go back into the free agent pool. So you're looking at 160 protected players total. So you're looking at 2018 draftees, plus everyone else. Hope I explained that okay.
    Yeah sorry, I misread your signature. Thought it was keep 20 plus a 10 person farm system.
    I agree with Luca, that you need more peripherals from your D. Keep Keller for now. (I missed the hits/blocks part of your signature as well - just read points only).
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Genius

I would respectfully pass on this one and not pursue it any further. Keller just dropped 65 points as a rookie. As. A. Rookie.

Your league counts: Forwards Points Only, D Points, Hits, Blocks, Goalies Wins and Shutouts.

I don't think you want to move Keller, or at least not yet anyway. His value has not peaked yet. Just have a look at the list below of the most points scored in a rookie season since the 2005 lockout.

Attached Images Attached Images
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Jedi

Just to piggy back this, there's another article out there, I can't recall if it was from a Dobber writer or Travis Yost, but it analyzed the team around him and how poor the Yotes were offensively as a whole. It basically obliterates those on the list Moses posted. That kid is legit, we're talking 90+pt ceiling. and a very high floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    I would respectfully pass on this one and not pursue it any further. Keller just dropped 65 points as a rookie. As. A. Rookie.

Your league counts: Forwards Points Only, D Points, Hits, Blocks, Goalies Wins and Shutouts.

I don't think you want to move Keller, or at least not yet anyway. His value has not peaked yet. Just have a look at the list below of the most points scored in a rookie season since the 2005 lockout.

Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    so D are the only ones that accumulate hits and blocks? and forwards are points only? That really lowers Werenski's value - you need multi-cat studs on D, not light hitting/blocking Werenski. This set up makes peripheral D essential to doing well. Someone like Boroweicki would hold similar value to Werenski based on his massive hit totals.

I keep Keller here.
    Yes, D are the only ones who accumulate points on hits and blocks, but it is only .05 per hit, and .10 per block, so it is heavily weighted in favour of points. So Borowiecki would have added about 22 points to his 11 points scored (. Not enough to be draftworthy, but your point is well taken. Someone like Edler would have been a shrewd pick last year for his combination of points, blocks, and hits. Risto seems to be the gold standard for this combination.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for the replies! I told him that I am leaning towards declining in the hope that he may sweeten his offer. What would you guys think if I got him to add Luc-Dubois to the deal?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'd have to consider that. Dubois + Werenski + 10th & 13th picks (in a draft that has only 160 keepers + new draftees) for Keller is pretty sweet.

I think the value is more than fair, but it's hard to trade potentially elite players like him, even if the return is great.

Something to consider-- if you add an extra player to the deal that means you'd have to cut an extra player. Do you know who that would be?
    12 Team Keeper League, 28 Player Roster

G, A, PTS, +/-, PPG, SHG, GWG, PPA, HT, GHHT
    W, GA, SV, SHO

C: Barkov, Barzal, Dubois, Point
    LW: Fiala, Guentzel, Huberdeau, Svechnikov
    RW: Ehlers, Kyrou,​S. Reinhart, Tomasino
    D: Bouchard, Ekblad, Makar, R. Merkley, Rielly, Theodore
    Bench: K. Johnson, Harley
    Minors: Johnston, McTavish, Clarke
    G: Saros, Thompson

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by rd69 View Post
    I'd have to consider that. Dubois + Werenski + 10th & 13th picks (in a draft that has only 160 keepers + new draftees) for Keller is pretty sweet.

I think the value is more than fair, but it's hard to trade potentially elite players like him, even if the return is great.

Something to consider-- if you add an extra player to the deal that means you'd have to cut an extra player. Do you know who that would be?
    Thanks for the reply. Here is my list of who I plan to keep. Not exactly an embarrassement of riches. I would probably drop Zibanejad.

Gibson
    Raanta
    Ekblad
    Pulock
    Butcher
    Chychrun
    Montour
    Shattenkirk
    Jones
    Hall
    Hischier
    Patrick
    Konecny
    Zibanejad
    Buchnevic
    Barzal
    Lee
    Keller
    Point
    Strome

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by buddha71 View Post
    Thanks for the replies! I told him that I am leaning towards declining in the hope that he may sweeten his offer. What would you guys think if I got him to add Luc-Dubois to the deal?
    I'd do that. You'd upgrade nicely on D, get a young forward, who while not as high upside as Keller, is a solid long-term keeper, and have two extra shots at prospects looking for stars.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.