Thread: Reaching for Dahlin

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Reaching for Dahlin

What are your thoughts on reaching for Dahlin in a keeper?
    We get 2 D keepers (as well as 2 forwards and 1 goaltender), and I was thinking of reaching for him very early...as in 1st round early (I have an extra one from a trade). It Worked wonders for me with McDavid a couple years ago!
    My current D keepers are OEL and Pietrangelo - definitely room for improvement.
    G A +/- SOG PPP HIT FW BLK
    12 GM keeper - Keep 2 forwards, 2 d, 1 g
    Current keepers: McDavid, B. Tkachuk, Hedman, Makar, Shesterkin

G A SOG PPP HIT FW BLK
    W SA SV% GAA

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Reaching for Dahlin

I'm not sure I fully understand the question but, sure. Heck yes. If your gut says that he will be a top 24 D in your format then go for it.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Ninja

I personally would not reach, but I am notoriously risk averse when it comes to untested rookies. It might be 2-3 years before Dahlin returns top 24 D numbers. I'd rather focus on winning my league each year. If it's a dynasty league or one where you can keep a good number of lesser players (or farm team), then I would heartily endorse reaching for Dahlin. I'd be dropping hints about taking Dahlin to get my top competitors thinking that I'm really looking at grabbing the guy and then hope one of them reaches way too early and then laugh at them taking the bait. Of course, if he does turn into the next Bobby Orr, I guess they'll be the one laughing at you...I still think you'd be better off taking a more proven player over reaching even for a guy like Dahlin.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

The Great One

I'm also not convinced Dahlin will be a keeper for you beyond this year. 18 year old defenceman. Could take awhile to put up the numbers you expect. Heck, look at the career path of someone like Hedman...

That said, it's a ballsy pick and you could come off looking like a genius.

Dobber Sports Newbie

I've never been fond of taking a player that will take a few years to show whether or not I was right. With 60 players off the board, safety in the first round is more of the direction that I'd go, even with an extra pick.
    If you are the smartest guy in the room, then you are in the wrong room.

Dobber Sports Legend

I'd reeeeeaaaach.

You're in a 12-Team, keep 5 format (2F/2D/1G).
    You already have the best F keeper on the planet in McDavid, and Kucherov might be in the Top 3-4 as well.

Your D is just "ok." Pietrangelo / OEL are interchangeable but landing Dahlin will set you up for the duration.
    I'm fully convinced he'll be a 55+ point D by year 3, and I have predicted from day one that he scores 42-44 points as a puppy this year.

With Dahlin, in a few years, you'll have 3 of the Top 7-10 keepers in fantasy, and in a 12-Team league, that's impressive.

Holtby is still a top tender, but my plan would be this...

Step 1: Try to package Holtby and OEL/Pietrangelo for a Vasilevskiy or Hellebuyck - land one of the elite, 25 and under tenders in the world, if possible.

Step 2: "Reach" and leave the draft floor with Dahlin.

Step 3: Build around a core of McDavid, Kucherov, Dahlin, (one of) OEL/Pietrangelo, and (one of) Vasilevskiy or Hellebuyck for the next decade. Sleep well at night.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    I'd reeeeeaaaach.

You're in a 12-Team, keep 5 format (2F/2D/1G).
    You already have the best F keeper on the planet in McDavid, and Kucherov might be in the Top 3-4 as well.

Your D is just "ok." Pietrangelo / OEL are interchangeable but landing Dahlin will set you up for the duration.
    I'm fully convinced he'll be a 55+ point D by year 3, and I have predicted from day one that he scores 42-44 points as a puppy this year.

With Dahlin, in a few years, you'll have 3 of the Top 7-10 keepers in fantasy, and in a 12-Team league, that's impressive.

Holtby is still a top tender, but my plan would be this...

Step 1: Try to package Holtby and OEL/Pietrangelo for a Vasilevskiy or Hellebuyck - land one of the elite, 25 and under tenders in the world, if possible.

Step 2: "Reach" and leave the draft floor with Dahlin.

Step 3: Build around a core of McDavid, Kucherov, Dahlin, (one of) OEL/Pietrangelo, and (one of) Vasilevskiy or Hellebuyck for the next decade. Sleep well at night.
    If you can pull off a trade like this I think you make the reach. You'll be improving a Keeper spot, and won't have to debate next year "Who should I drop between Dahlin, Pietrangelo, or OEL" because that options off the table.
    16 Team - Keep 5 - H2H Points
    Start: 2C/2LW/2RW/4D/2G - 4Bench
    G/A(1.25) STP(1.5) GWG(3) SOG(0.25) H(0.2) Blks(0.25) +/-(0.25) PIM(0.1) FOW(0.1)

C: Malkin, Kopitar, Hartman, Johansen
    LW: Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Barbashev (C)
    RW: Rust, Mangiapane (LW), Rodrigues (LW)
    D: DeAngelo, Karlsson, Faulk, Morrisey, Myers
    G: A. Forsberg, Price, Reimer, Holtby

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Ultimately, I agree with fungchen3. With that said, I understand that it is a longer game which may cost me in the upcoming season. This is the spicy stuff that makes fantasy interesting though, isn't it? I'm getting a little tired of waiting for OEL to turn into the fantasy dynamo that he is perfectly capable of being.
    12 GM keeper - Keep 2 forwards, 2 d, 1 g
    Current keepers: McDavid, B. Tkachuk, Hedman, Makar, Shesterkin

G A SOG PPP HIT FW BLK
    W SA SV% GAA

Dobber Sports All-Star

I don't think Dahlin will be a top 24 D this season, but Likely within 2-4 years if everything everybody says about his game holds true. If you can afford to keep Dahlin as one of your 2 D keepers, even though he may take a few years to become worthy of that spot, then go for it. Hell, maybe he comes roaring out of the gate and puts up 45 + points in his rookie season. You never know. I think the odds are, however, that those numbers, if the come, will be 2-3 years away. As a back up plan, he will likely still make a decent trade piece if you want to pull up anchor on him.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen