Thread: Who should I target with my 9th and 21st overall picks?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Question Who should I target with my 9th and 21st overall picks?

I'm in a 12-team dynasty league with these categories: G, A, SOG, PIM, PPP, HIT, BLK, FOW; W, GAA, SV, SV%. Each team keeps 5 prospects and draft 5 new ones every year. 4 of my 5 current prospect keepers are expected to no longer have prospect eligibility next summer, so I would need to either keep them as veterans or drop them entirely and keep someone else as part of my 5 prospect keepers. I've got the 9th and 21st picks in the first 2 rounds. Everyone from the 2018 entry draft class is available, plus some players from previous classes who haven't been drafted in our league's past draft, e.g., Filip Gustavsson, Filip Chytil, Troy Terry, Juuso Valimaki, Henri Jokiharju, Sami Niku, Dylan Sikura, Adam Gaudette, Drake Batherson, Morgan Frost, Vitaly Abramov, Boris Katchouk, etc.

People in the league usually don't tend to draft D and G prospects very early, since they are less of a sure thing than F (not that prospect F is a sure thing either). I'm wondering whom I should target with my first two picks. If the only D or G to go before my 9th overall pick is Dahlin, I wouldn't expect to see some forwards that I like, such as Tkachuk and Wahlstrom, to be available at #9 (e.g., I can see Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, Kotkaniemi plus 2 other players gone by then). Should I draft a D (Hughes, Bouchard, Boqvist, Smith, Dobson, etc.) or G (I can only think of Filip Gustavsson at No. 9; All the other high-end G prospects, e.g., Demko, Hart, Samsonov, Husso, Sorokin, Shesterkin, etc., have already been drafted in the past), or go with a forward who's essentially one tier lower than the ones already gone, such as Farabee, Hayton, Kravtsov, Denisenko, Kaut, etc.? Maybe I should try to trade down by a few spots?

Separately, what do you see my strategy should be for my 2nd rounder at #21? I'm leaning towards taking a player from past classes at that spot since they can contribute more immediately, but with 4 of my 5 existing prospects graduating soon, I might want to take players at least a year or two away instead?

Advices would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Who should I target with my 9th and 21st overall picks?

At #9, if Hughes is available you have to take him. He looked great in last week's Summer Showcase. Dobson and Farabee looked very good as well and those are guys I would consider at #9. I always liked Farabee at around spot 10 but I was in the minority. After last week's games I wouldn't hesitate to take him there if Hughes was gone and you wanted a forward.

At #21 Morgan Frost is someone to look at with this pick. I don't know much about him but I know he is very high on some rankings. From this year's draft I would consider Bokk or Berggen. Berggren was very impressive at the Summer Showcase as well. If you need a dman, Jokiharju had a fantastic season and would be a great value at #21.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    At #9, if Hughes is available you have to take him. He looked great in last week's Summer Showcase. Dobson and Farabee looked very good as well and those are guys I would consider at #9. I always liked Farabee at around spot 10 but I was in the minority. After last week's games I wouldn't hesitate to take him there if Hughes was gone and you wanted a forward.

At #21 Morgan Frost is someone to look at with this pick. I don't know much about him but I know he is very high on some rankings. From this year's draft I would consider Bokk or Berggen. Berggren was very impressive at the Summer Showcase as well. If you need a dman, Jokiharju had a fantastic season and would be a great value at #21.
    My concern about drafting D prospect early in this league is that unless you get a D that can get 55 ~ 60 pts some day, you really need your D to contribute to peripheral categories, especially BLK. It's difficult to know how prospects will contribute to BLK and HIT, so people in our league tend to stay away from D early in the draft, not to mention that D prospects take longer to be ready and you don't want to necessarily hold on someone for 3+ years when you can only keep 5 every year. Hughes isn't very physical, which might limit his value. I also lack high-end offensive prospects on my team (in the inaugural prospect draft, players such as Boeser, Keller, Barzal and Point were gone so I went with McAvoy), which is why I'm leaning towards drafting a forward first. I like Farabee, but I don't know whether he's worth No. 9 and whether I should trade down a few spots instead.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by rj45lan View Post
    My concern about drafting D prospect early in this league is that unless you get a D that can get 55 ~ 60 pts some day, you really need your D to contribute to peripheral categories, especially BLK. It's difficult to know how prospects will contribute to BLK and HIT, so people in our league tend to stay away from D early in the draft, not to mention that D prospects take longer to be ready and you don't want to necessarily hold on someone for 3+ years when you can only keep 5 every year. Hughes isn't very physical, which might limit his value. I also lack high-end offensive prospects on my team (in the inaugural prospect draft, players such as Boeser, Keller, Barzal and Point were gone so I went with McAvoy), which is why I'm leaning towards drafting a forward first. I like Farabee, but I don't know whether he's worth No. 9 and whether I should trade down a few spots instead.
    Makes sense. I do think Hughes can be a 60+ pt dman but like you say- he's not going to help much in the grit stats. Farabee at #9 is a slight reach but I'd feel much better about it after last week. Farabee has a high floor. Kravtsov has a higher ceiling but we just don't know as much about him.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by rj45lan View Post
    Everyone from the 2018 entry draft class is available, plus some players from previous classes who haven't been drafted in our league's past draft, e.g., Filip Gustavsson, Filip Chytil, Troy Terry, Juuso Valimaki, Henri Jokiharju, Sami Niku, Dylan Sikura, Adam Gaudette, Drake Batherson, Morgan Frost, Vitaly Abramov, Boris Katchouk, etc.
    There is a lot of talent to be had. In a draft like this I would be focusing on closer to show prospects. If your league is going after 18's all the better for you at 9. If you get a Chytil,Abramov,Gustvson player in that spot you are golden. I'd recommend looking over top 50 prospect lists as well as NHL farm lists that have recently been released by Wheeler, thedraftanalyst, and Pronman. Also I would use Dobbers guides and rankings as well. I'd also go over the 2018 draft results post. My draft just concluded and some of those names went in ours. It's hard to place value on current vs leftover draftees but when you compare lists and do the research you'll get max value. Welcome to the boards!
    5.5X Champs
    20 Team Dynasty (Unique Cap) H2H 23 Man roster - 20 Minor
    G,A,SOG,PIM,HIT,BLK,FO%,2G+A,D-pts,STG,GWG+SHP+ShootoutG
    W,SV%,GAA,SO Start 4 C,LW,RW/6D/2G Min 3 start/ 3Bench/6IR

C-Hischier,W.Nylander,
    Benn
    LW-Guentzel,B.Tkachuk
    ,Marchand,Gaudreau
    RW-A.Svechnikov,M.Tkachuk,Duclair,Mantha
    D-Provorov,McAvoy,Gudas,Doughty,Dunn,McDonagh
    G-Hart,Vanecek
    B-
    Brannstrom,Crouse
    Prospects
    Rossi,Berggren,Sillinger,Giv.Smith,Perreault,Kaspe r,Gauthier,Miroshnichenko,R.Johnson
    Perunovich,Salo,Capobianco,Mackey,Woo,Benning,A.Jo hansson,Thrun
    Skinner,Martin,Ingram,Fedotov
    ​Entry Draft 5 Rds [<60gp] '23 2,3,3,5
    Cap 77.82M/82.5M

Twitter @MatsonHockey

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Those are a lot of the guys I'm targeting in my draft that got overlooked: Frost, Batherson, Katchouk.
    I already have Abarmov though :P Any of those are good bets. Frost in particular. With a 5 year keeper I would go for those slightly older guys who will have more NHL time.

McDavid/Necas/ Kucherov/Bjorkstrand/Rust/Nugent Hopkins/Cirelli/Zegras/- Letang/Morrissey/Dahlin - Swayman/Saros/Skinner

Prospects include:
    McTavish/Clarke/Bordeleau
    Dumais/Korchinski/Hutson

Don't worry I'm not going to say anything more than I have to. If that.

Dobber Sports Rookie

I traded away my #9 and now own #17 and #21. There are still 3 teams picking before my #17 is on the clock. The draft has gone pretty '18 class heavy so far, with 10 of the top 11 '18 NHL draftees (everyone but Barrett Hayton) picked already in our first 13 picks. Gustavsson, Frost and Sikura are also gone.

With my two 2nd-round picks at #17 and #21, I'm considering some '18 players (Dobson, Farabee, Bokk, Kupari, Denisenko, Kaut, Berggren, etc.) and some players from past classes (Roslovic, Chytil, Terry, Abramov, Batherson, Timmins, Elvenes, Gaudette, Bellows, Zykov, etc.). With my league's multi-cat setup and keeper structure in mind, how would folks here rank them and approach these 2 picks?

A couple of the players I've listed here will likely still be available when I pick at #33 in the 3rd round as well, although I might go with a goalie there (Mike DiPietro, Cayden Primeau, Colton Point, Cal Petersen, Linus Soderstrom, Alex Nedeljkovic, etc.). Does that make sense at all, or should I wait until later in the 4th or 5th round to draft one of them so I can still get a decent skater, since none of the high-end close-to-NHL goalie prospects are available now anyway? Alternatively, instead of going with long-term goalie prospects, I can also get some NHL backups who're still eligible to be prospects (< 50 career GP and < 2 for goalies) in our league instead for some spot starts, such as DeSmith (if Jarry stays in AHL instead), Campbell, Georgiev, Copley, Brossoit, etc., just not as early as the 3rd round. What do folks think?

Any advice would be appreciated!