Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [trade] osuna to Astros

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: [trade] osuna to padres

The guy has a domestic charge and there are probably more things the jays know about him behind closed doors. If Osuna gets convicted next week his visa is revoked and he is no longer able to work in this country anymore ... that's a pretty big deal. How much leverage would the jays have now ?? they would literally get 100x worse than what they got now. i recommend you do more research on who they got besides basing everything on the one opinion posted above. As a true jays fan i'm happy with the prospects we got and with this team is rebuilding i'm looking forward to the forward to the future. You seem as more of casual type of fan or one that just started watching in 2015 so i why you are so upset.

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    circumstances are crap. Why did they need to trade him? Was he a cancer in the locker room? I get the pending charges...but why would the Astros take him on then. They could have gotten more.

whatever... those two clowns continue to drive this team into the ground. Thanks for the Memories A.A. Signs point to another extended period of mediocrity which means... no playoffs.

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: [trade] osuna to Astros

Title fixed.

Not surprised by the trade. As promising as Osuna is, he was never going to pitch for the Jays again. They did alright in the return. I read that one of the prospects they got had his own issues recently but was a highly ranked prospect just a couple years ago.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Title fixed.
    I couldn't remember how to edit the title. Mind refreshing me?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I couldn't remember how to edit the title. Mind refreshing me?
    At the top under Administrative, select Edit Post. Bob's your uncle.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    At the top under Administrative, select Edit Post. Bob's your uncle.
    Knew it was way too simple and I was missing it.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by FantasyKing View Post
    The guy has a domestic charge and there are probably more things the jays know about him behind closed doors. If Osuna gets convicted next week his visa is revoked and he is no longer able to work in this country anymore ... that's a pretty big deal. How much leverage would the jays have now ?? they would literally get 100x worse than what they got now. i recommend you do more research on who they got besides basing everything on the one opinion posted above. As a true jays fan i'm happy with the prospects we got and with we this team is rebuilding i'm looking forward to the forward to the future. You seem as more of casual type of fan or one that just started watching in 2015 so i why you are so upset.
    Ah, that might explain things a little more clearly for me. Thanks.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Initiate

Its very obvious that Osuna was never gonna play for the Jays again...whether it came down from ownership or Shapiro and Atkins had a pow wow months ago, but they postured, and made it seem like when his 75 game suspension was up, that he would be given every opportunity to be the player he was, is a load of garbage. They played it up, and found a team clearly desperate enough to make a move. A move which is my problem child for your yours, Ken Giles. Yes he is a bit older, and has some nasty stuff, but he comes with his own issues. I honestly don't know much about the 2 arms the nabbed, but by all accounts it was the best deal the Jays could hope to make under the circumstances. I believe, that if they would have given him a chance to come back and return to form, that they would have had 10-12 teams interested in the off season, but it would have come with risk, and they clearly were not willing to take that risk.

The Astros must have had their legal team look into the assault charges and felt that there wouldn't be much more in the way of punishment or legal issues for Osuna, because if he was to be charged, then this deal would look a lot worse for Houston, especially if it were to affect his ability to travel with the team, or play almost their all.
    'To be is to do' - Socrates....'To do is to be '- Sartre..........
    'To do be do be do' - Sinatra.

15 Team Keeper League - 20 roster spots (4C 4L 4R 6D 2G)
    Point Categories - G A +/- PIMS GAA SV%
    Protect 13-15 *$80 Team cap

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    L - Connor, Marchand, Olofsson
    R - Nylander, Wheeler, Gallagher, Rust
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Padawan

no problem
    Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Ah, that might explain things a little more clearly for me. Thanks.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Good deal for a guy that was never going to pitch for your organization ever again..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    According to some prominent twitter feeds, the Astros did plenty of due diligence before making this deal.
    It's expected the charges will be dropped.

I don't understand why a kid like this has to be run out of town. The bottom line is the Jays are a worse team today with Osuna off the roster. The optics which made this trade happen didn't seem to be a problem for the World Series champs.
    Ridiculous
    You must hate all trades that are meant to improve the future.

Giles had a better 2017 than Osuna did btw guys, he's no throw in the Jays took to get the deal done. There's tons of question marks on Osuna, and we all forget how bad he was for a 20game stretch last yr. Mental health is huge, and mental strength is even bigger for a closer. I feel like teams (management) would be more interested in his anxiety "issues" he had last yr than his domestic issues this yr. A prospect for the Astros had a video pop up of him beating his GF and Verlander and McCullers tweeted some strong hate towards him about it. Now the Astros are bringing in a guy who is under investigation for the same thing who is young, and has anxiety. Verlander already said "It's a tough situation" and that once Osuna arrives they'll "go from there". The major pitching leader on the team already hates him.

Trades a win if Giles gets to his 2017 self. The prospects they got are prospects, all "ifs" and "buts". We won't fully know what they are until they can sustain time in AA. I honestly see this as a move that's too much of a gamble for the Astros. The dynamic of the locker room could 100% fail because of this trade.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Perez is now the Jays 11th prospect in the system, 4th ranked pitcher prospect.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Against improving the future? Huh?
    Osuna is 4.5 years younger than Giles and the 2 kids coming with him are longshots.
    And I've been pounding the table for a VERY long time to trade Donaldson for the "future" - now they're stuck with him unless they trade him for pennies on the dollar.

This trade is all about optics, nothing more.
    Anyone who says it's a baseball trade meant to improve the future is being incredibly naive.
    Thanks EMG... agreed. you just said it better.

And for his troubles... Osuna gets a helluva great shot to collect a ring that seems further and further away reality in Toronto.

Last time I checked... he was convicted of nothing to date. Congrats Huston. Go get your 2nd ring in a row.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I'm fine with jettisoning Osuna. I will give the Jays the benefit of the doubt here that they knew what happened and made an internal decision not to roster such players (I do not know if they roster anyone else with similar accusations in their minors systems, but I do not believe so). Even if the charges are dropped, it does not mean that something didn't happen. I find all too often in cases like this where it is between partners, one shows remorse, the other believes, charges are dropped, and the violence happens all over again, whether it reaches the media or not.

It will be easier for the Astros to look the other way given they are winning, and talent + winning seems to make certain indiscretions disappear (Aroldis Chapman for example).

Back to the trade, best case scenario, Giles gets back to where he was (underlying stats indicate he's been pretty unlucky this year) and you move him next year after a bounce-back to a contender for a return more in line with what you might have hoped to get for Osuna.

Also worth remembering, closers are voodoo. Up and down year after year. Very rare to find one who remains consistently effective a la Rivera.

Dobber Sports Expert

I have no time for these athletes. What makes it worse they basically walk off Scott free and in many cases eventually resume there careers.
    I'm all about 2nd chances but u still have to face the music(maybe you'll learn from it?) And that means a severe punishment if it even being losing your career.
    And the fact the charges may be dropped doesn't necessarily mean Osuna is innocent.
    Sorry let's move on. Dont want to talk about the Osunas Vasquez's Rice Voynev etc.

Dobber Sports Titan

I would also like to point out, even if the charges are dropped, I do believe Osuna getting his visa to work in the states may actually be pretty difficult.

And, no way the Jays trade Osuna without knowing full well that he did something. He's a 23yr old closer, youngest ever to get to 100saves, ERA under 3. No way they trade him away without knowing he did what he's charged with. To rip on the Jays giving up on him is looking at Ray Rice and saying the Ravens and NFL gave up on him. Or the Astros giving up on that prospect. Just cause you physically haven't seen the video of it somehow makes it less bad.