Thread: Fantasy upside and NHL Certainty ?

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Fantasy upside and NHL Certainty ?

Hello everybody,

I don't know if I post this thread has the right place. If I have to change warn me please. Be gentle with me i'm a beginner on the forum haha !

Can someone tell me where I can find the actual definition of the terms "Fantasy upside and NHL Certainty" found in the evaluation of prospects.

I can't find them anywhere.

thank you very much!

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Fantasy upside and NHL Certainty ?

Welcome to the forums, and it's a good question. It's an in-exact science and there isn't really a definition that I'm aware of.
    How I see it, NHL certainty means "how likely are they to be an NHL regular, be it as a fourth line centre or a 100pt player. Basically it's just about games played and career length. Usually a higher number means they are much closer to making the show too.
    Fantasy upside then differentiates the fourth line players from the 100pt players, and whatever in between.
    I think the best thing to do is just to use the numbers to compare one prospect to another, and not try and equate say an 8 for Fantasy upside to a guaranteed 80 points. That just won't work.

Hope that helps!
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Basically it is just a calculated percentage based on the person evaluating them. A lot of variance based on the source.

Fantasy upside would be their ceiling and ability for further progression from where they are now in their career. Someone with an upside of 10% doesn't have a lot. Someone with 40% does.

NHL Certainty is how likely them are to make the NHL at this stage in their career.
    20tm multicat salary keeper
    19 Active/6 Reserve/ 33 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3SKT/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/A/PlusMinus/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/Hit/Blk/FOW/FO%
    Goalies: W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Welcome to the forums, and it's a good question. It's an in-exact science and there isn't really a definition that I'm aware of.
    How I see it, NHL certainty means "how likely are they to be an NHL regular, be it as a fourth line centre or a 100pt player. Basically it's just about games played and career length. Usually a higher number means they are much closer to making the show too.
    Fantasy upside then differentiates the fourth line players from the 100pt players, and whatever in between.
    I think the best thing to do is just to use the numbers to compare one prospect to another, and not try and equate say an 8 for Fantasy upside to a guaranteed 80 points. That just won't work.

Hope that helps!
    Yeah....this guy(Eskimo) said it in more depth than what I did! Hence, my comment in my post on source. Eskimo would be a better source than someone like me, as he has valuable experience writing about and watching these players as a profession, versus the every day joe like me!
    20tm multicat salary keeper
    19 Active/6 Reserve/ 33 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3SKT/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/A/PlusMinus/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/Hit/Blk/FOW/FO%
    Goalies: W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Recruit

Wow, thanks for the fast answer guys !! really helps and appreciated !! I'm happy to see the definition that i thought are close to your's ! thanks again and have a good day !

Dobber Sports Wizard

Dobber Sports Genius

The OP asks a good question. I was wondering the same thing. A link to the explanation in the prospects section pages would be a good idea.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    The OP asks a good question. I was wondering the same thing. A link to the explanation in the prospects section pages would be a good idea.
    I like this idea, so I sent an email to Dobber and Peter Harling who is the Managing Editor at DobberProspects. Let's see what happens.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Thanks to this thread, we have now created a page where Fantasy Upside and NHL Certainty are explained: https://dobberprospects.com/prospect-ratings/

All the prospect profiles have a question mark button next to their ratings now, and if you click that button, it will take you to this page where the ratings are explained. Please let us know if there's still some confusion related to these but we're hoping everything is clear now.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Thanks to this thread, we have now created a page where Fantasy Upside and NHL Certainty are explained: https://dobberprospects.com/prospect-ratings/

All the prospect profiles have a question mark button next to their ratings now, and if you click that button, it will take you to this page where the ratings are explained. Please let us know if there's still some confusion related to these but we're hoping everything is clear now.
    Great job! This will help a lot!
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Genius

Nice work JP
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"