Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Erik Karlsson Musings

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Erik Karlsson Musings

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    Some people are a massively under valuing Erik Karlsson

A young promising player and a high end prospect is nowhere near enough for a "superstar / elite / game changer / whatever term you wanted use" player.

Yes, they're are going to diminish their return by adding Bobby Ryan but not so much that they can't get established talent back plus a blue chip prospect.
    I'm with you on that. They are basically trading this generation's Nick Lidstrom.. I don't think an average NHL centre and a defenceman get it done. Ottawa should have started the bidding war last December, though. Heck, maybe they did so quietly. We don't know.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    Some people are a massively under valuing Erik Karlsson

A young promising player and a high end prospect is nowhere near enough for a "superstar / elite / game changer / whatever term you wanted use" player.

Yes, they're are going to diminish their return by adding Bobby Ryan but not so much that they can't get established talent back plus a blue chip prospect.
    I call him the Crosby of defensemen. Generational player and I don't put that label on a guy lightly. Generational NHL players right now - Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, McDavid, Karlsson and Tavares. Dahlin on the way.

But that's all you're going to get for a rental. You are not going to get a generational player back because none will be given up. You are not going to get a superstar back because that particular market is slim - teams have to pre-sign Karlsson AND have a superstar ready to give up? That's only existing in Lollypop Land. Best you'll get is a great forward with high upside, and a good defensive defenseman. Or blue chip prospects, picks, etc. They'll never get even 25% of his actual value.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Administrator

Players don't fetch what they are really worth on the trade market. Rick Nash is a huge exception to that rule. Still can't believe the Rangers pulled that off.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    I'm with you on that. They are basically trading this generation's Nick Lidstrom.. I don't think an average NHL centre and a defenceman get it done. Ottawa should have started the bidding war last December, though. Heck, maybe they did so quietly. We don't know.
    The key is though that you already know you can't resign Karlsson, and you know he is willing to extend with his new team. If I as a fan know that then the other GMs certainly do, and those trades limit your results.
    See: Heatley, Spezza, Hoffman

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by MasterByte View Post
    The key is though that you already know you can't resign Karlsson, and you know he is willing to extend with his new team. If I as a fan know that then the other GMs certainly do, and those trades limit your results.
    I know. That's why they should have shopped him earlier. There are two sides of the discussion, the side of what should be his trade value and the side of what will be, based on all of these circumstances. Crazy sad for Ottawa, but that's sports. Heck, these kinds of players are almost never traded (like Tavares) and especially even less so in the final year of their contracts. They usually walk. So in that sense, something is better than nothing. Brutal.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Titan

Also, getting an offensive defenseman halfway through the season to step in and be a PP1/D1-3 guy has never really worked out too smoothly. So I would be curious how hard are teams really willing to go in with a trade with Karlsson.

Every team would want Karlsson, but I'm curious how many will think "hey, Shattenkirk was a very strong defenseman, but took a while to acclimate himself to NYR when he was moved. We gotta think about how long it takes for him to gel with us"
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I call him the Crosby of defensemen. Generational player and I don't put that label on a guy lightly. Generational players in the NHL right now - Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, McDavid, Karlsson and Tavares. Dahlin on the way.
    I think this is the first time I've heard someone call Tavares a generational talent... at least since he's been at the NHL level.
    Yahoo:16 team h2h (18 man rosters) 4keepers per team
    player cats:
    G,A,+/-ppp,shp,sog,gwg,hits,blks :goalie cats:W,gaa,sv%,so
    3c-Zibanejad, Getzlaf, Trochek
    6w-Fiala, JT Miller,Pastrnak, Pearson, kapanen, Lindblom
    4d-Hamilton,Provorov, R.Andersson, Doughty
    2g-Markstrom, Blackwood
    bench-Schultz, McCann, Lowry
    IR:Kucherov, Beauvilier

Fantrax:Nordiques 9 team dynasty pts only (max roster:50)
    notables:Stamkos, Seguin, Kuznetsov, E.Lindholm, Debrincat, Wheeler, Marchand, PLD, Kessel, Meier, Tuch, Hedman, Suter, Chabot, Bobrovsky ,Hellebuyck, Binnington
    notable prospects:Turcotte, Zegras, N.Suzuki, Farabee, Denisenko, Krebs, N.Robertson, Jokiharju, Shestyorkin

Dobber Sports Pro

Generational NHL players right now - Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, McDavid, Karlsson and Tavares. Dahlin on the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche_Ambush View Post
    I think this is the first time I've heard someone call Tavares a generational talent... at least since he's been at the NHL level.
    I was thinking the same thing... one of these things is not like the others. In my eyes anyways.

Dobber Sports Genius

If Dorion can't get one of Sergachev or the Finnish kid from Dallas, I would consider it a loss. RNH and Lar
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Administrator

That's just semantics. Regardless of the groupings Karlsson is in the upper 1%.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I think that's too much if they take on the Bobby Ryan contract. He's still at 7.25mill for 4 more yrs.

If Ryan was involved, I would think it's closer to Kapanen+Lil/Sandin/Dermott for Karlsson+Ryan than Nylander+
    I was more musing that if the Leafs offered up Nylander/Liljegren for Karlsson/Ryan would the Senators have to accept it? It's fun because the Leafs are the last team that the Sens would want to ship Karlsson to. From the Leafs side, yes the need to figure out how to 'disappear' Ryan's contract, but isn't Erik Karlsson the exact type of skater that they need on their team.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche_Ambush View Post
    From time to time I say it in the Ramblings. Are you not an avid reader?

Once I slap that label on someone, it's hard to peel it off.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

From time to time I say it in the Ramblings. Are you not an avid reader?

Once I slap that label on someone, it's hard to peel it off.
    LOL I love the Ramblings..but with the abundance of hockey knowledge this site pumps out...I must've missed that part.

I'll compare my brain to a sponge and the sites fantasy tid bits to water (A sponge can only soak up so much water at one time).
    Yahoo:16 team h2h (18 man rosters) 4keepers per team
    player cats:
    G,A,+/-ppp,shp,sog,gwg,hits,blks :goalie cats:W,gaa,sv%,so
    3c-Zibanejad, Getzlaf, Trochek
    6w-Fiala, JT Miller,Pastrnak, Pearson, kapanen, Lindblom
    4d-Hamilton,Provorov, R.Andersson, Doughty
    2g-Markstrom, Blackwood
    bench-Schultz, McCann, Lowry
    IR:Kucherov, Beauvilier

Fantrax:Nordiques 9 team dynasty pts only (max roster:50)
    notables:Stamkos, Seguin, Kuznetsov, E.Lindholm, Debrincat, Wheeler, Marchand, PLD, Kessel, Meier, Tuch, Hedman, Suter, Chabot, Bobrovsky ,Hellebuyck, Binnington
    notable prospects:Turcotte, Zegras, N.Suzuki, Farabee, Denisenko, Krebs, N.Robertson, Jokiharju, Shestyorkin

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by MasterByte View Post
    The Hoffman trade is not a good example. There was so much baggage associated with that trade...
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Superstar

Maybe we could look at taking Karlsson in Wpg, if Trouba wants out then maybe something can be worked out. Just imagining EK running Wpg PP
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO