Thread: H2H Newbie - Strategy advise please

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default H2H Newbie - Strategy advise please

League in signature. I took over for a team in May of this year. I?ve since made 11 trades resulting in what looks to me like a strong team.

The only thing I don?t know is the ins and outs of H2H strategy. Is anyone an expert here and can help me get through my first foray away from Roto.

Someone mentioned to my that 5 of my 9 skater categories have nothing to do with my skaters actually getting a point and that I could still win the week if all my skaters didn?t even get a point. Seems crazy.

Looking at my 8 keepers (actually have 9 because I traded post-Keeper deadline), what improvements or stats am I good with?

Strategy please. Give me all your tips if you feel like helping please. Thank you.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: H2H Newbie - Strategy advise please

Sorry, maybe H2H strategy is a closely guarded secret. I never thought of that.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    Sorry, maybe H2H strategy is a closely guarded secret. I never thought of that.
    Not really. In general, you want good category coverage. Guys like Trocheck for example would be pretty amazing in your format, but if I had to guess then I’d wager Malkin, Ovechkin, and Wheeler are all top-10 overall assets. You definitely want to give priority to offensive production and SOG, as you’ll be able to pick up Hit/Blk/FW from the wire if need be.

Overall it looks like you’ve followed a very good template with your keeper trades: consolidate high end scoring talent who also contribute in other categories. Malkin, Wheeler, Ovechkin, Pavelski all fit the bill quite nicely and Kessel is going to produce Goals and Shots which are more difficult to acquire than other categories like Hits/Blks.

As for your D, Carlson is an elite option. He’s a fixture on the PP1 (another important aspect with any type of league), and he provides solid category coverage. Similarly with Pietrangelo, but to a lesser extent.

I very much like your goalies, although Talbot is still somewhat of a question mark.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    Not really. In general, you want good category coverage. Guys like Trocheck for example would be pretty amazing in your format, but if I had to guess then I’d wager Malkin, Ovechkin, and Wheeler are all top-10 overall assets. You definitely want to give priority to offensive production and SOG, as you’ll be able to pick up Hit/Blk/FW from the wire if need be.

Overall it looks like you’ve followed a very good template with your keeper trades: consolidate high end scoring talent who also contribute in other categories. Malkin, Wheeler, Ovechkin, Pavelski all fit the bill quite nicely and Kessel is going to produce Goals and Shots which are more difficult to acquire than other categories like Hits/Blks.

As for your D, Carlson is an elite option. He’s a fixture on the PP1 (another important aspect with any type of league), and he provides solid category coverage. Similarly with Pietrangelo, but to a lesser extent.

I very much like your goalies, although Talbot is still somewhat of a question mark.
    Well, you are exactly right with Ovechkin being the #1 ranked skater last year, followed by Wheeler at #2. Malkin was #10 so you are absolutely correct. Carlson was 16 and Kessel 17.

Thank you for you advice. I heard somewhere that I should just focus on 5 or 6 skater categories and never even bother trying to get the other 3 or 4 skater categories. If I do that against someone that tries to get all 9 skater stats, they would never be able to beat me as would always have the majority.

Either way, your advice and accuracy has been repped.