Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wheeler for Gostisbehere (pts only)

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Wheeler for Gostisbehere (pts only)

Hi all,

Been tabled a trade for my Wheeler for his Ghost and a minor pick upgrade. Points only, 10 keepers, no position requirements. I only have OEL out of my 10 and my entire list is 25 and under (but all 70 pt plus producers) besides Wheeler.

The draft crop next year is pretty week with the top win now D available being Krug, Rielly, Hamilton, Doughty as the best available (then the quality drops off a cliff). Seeing as tbe possible crop is relatively weak, coupled with tbe fact that dmen will drafted higher due to lack of proven point getters. Do yall think it might be worth acquiring a 2nd Dman and would this be a good trade for me?

Thank you for your time as always!

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: Wheeler for Gostisbehere (pts only)

No position requirements? So you don't need to roster D-men at all?
    Then keep Wheeler for sure.

But considering you're keeping OEL and talking about D a bunch here, perhaps that's unclear here? How many D do you need to roster/start?
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Rookie

Thanks for the quick reply Stone. I wouldn't need to keep any D in theory. Dmen are worth less except the top 10 are really valuable since position regardless 1 pt is 1 pt. I am just thinking about stocking up on D predraft since the pickings will be thin, and the forward crop is much better so I can use my first on fwd I want instead of a D being one of the 4 i listed.

We start 11 fwds, 4 d nightly, 4 bench for F/D. I see you have OEL and Ghost too lol.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nardwuar View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply Stone. I wouldn't need to keep any D in theory. Dmen are worth less except the top 10 are really valuable since position regardless 1 pt is 1 pt. I am just thinking about stocking up on D predraft since the pickings will be thin, and the forward crop is much better so I can use my first on fwd I want instead of a D being one of the 4 i listed.

We start 11 fwds, 4 d nightly, 4 bench for F/D. I see you have OEL and Ghost too lol.
    Okay, so there are position requirements, just not for keepers. I'd make that deal in your league, due to your positional needs, youth gain, and the draft pool depth.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Ah ok i thought positional requirements was directed strictly at keepers you can keep. Makes sense it applies to in season as well. Thank you for your input stevegamer!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

You're welcome.

I view positional requirements to mean any sort, whether it's keeper or lineup specific. We've had a lot of questions saying "positions don't matter" or " no positional requirements" and then teh OP notes that they break out LW, C, & RW in addition to defense. So it's gets tough to answer if things are unclear.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yup, I would do it. Gets you a younger asset which is going to be useful for many years and is a top performer in his position. D-men of Ghost's quality are rare in fantasy hockey, which makes him very valuable - especially in your league's market at the moment.
    H2H - 16 teams - Auction (225 $ cap), cap up to 300$ after auction on any drafted player.
    Keep 3, +7$ each year. Keep 5 farm (cost 1$ to dress).[/I]

Points (1), Defense goals (2), Powerplay Points (0.5), GWG (0.5), ShG (0.5)

10 F 4 D 1 G 5 bench 10 farm

F: Kucherov (41$), Pettersson (15$), Marner (29$), Wheller (55$), Landeskog (18$), Horvat (15$), Meier (16$), Fiala (1$), Beauvillier (1$), Getzlaf (1$)
    D: Barrie (17$), Fox (1$), Girard (1$), Trouba (2$)
    G: Markstrom (6$)

Bench: Athanasiou, Granlund, Gostisbehere, Matheson, Garland

Farm: Boldy, Gurianov, Puljujarvi, Dach, Glass, Kaprizov, Patrick, Sanheim, Tomasino, Sorokin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'm liking what PHI did this off season, With climbing the draft ladder I'd go for it.

Dobber Sports Monster

I don't think Giroux or Voracek duplicate their numbers from last season so Gostisbehere's numbers would take a little hit, but I think Wheeler slightly regresses as well. Combined with the age factor I would side with the Gostisbehere side ever so slightly.

Big Daddy

I?d keep Wheeler.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I would make the deal and shore up your d. Its nice to have coverage across all positions and if you are strong forward, but weak in d, this gives you better balance. Perhaps you can get more out of the pick upgrade knowing you are dealing a stronger forward who are valued more in your league as you mentioned.
    Keeper Team: $300 Auction draft, 10 F, 5 D, 3 G, 5 Bench
    Keep For Following Year: 3 F, 2 D, 1 G

11 Team, Rotisserie G A PTS +/- PIMS PPG PPA SHP GWG W GAA SV% SO

F: Marner, Eichel, Hughes, Crosby, Kopitar, Rust, O'Reilly, Giroux, Horvat, Palat, Podkolzin, Jenner, Copp*, Colton*
    D:
    Toews, Byram, Letang, Theodore, Hamilton
    G:
    Campbell, Fleury, Knight, Quick
    IR: *Cirelli, *DeBrusk

Dobber Sports Sage

The depth of positions (11 forwards vs 4 D men) makes me think wheeler will be the better option for the next 2-3 years and I don't like to look much beyond that horizon.

It really comes down to point differential. Is wheeler likely going to have a bigger point difference vs your 11th forward than Gost will have vs your 4th d man? I suspect wheeler wins here based on last year's numbers. I also expect both players to regress slightly from last year's amazing season.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Ninja

Wheeler for me. Just draft lots of D with the potential to go off and hope for the best...the old pick and pray method. Having Wheeler will partially offset the need for a really high scoring D.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Rookie

Thank you everyone for their comments, really insightful info on both ends of the spectrum.

@B3tt3rman I totally agree the lull of ghost is how much Philly have improved, plus how good their prospect pool is, there is just the constant concern to Provorov! Hes a sick player too, hoping Ghost is more Krug style PPQB long term.

@Brandoom thanks for confirming that, I definitely think that due to demand positional needs should be addressed. I may try to push for a better pick!

@dusterdave,thanks for your vote!

@Mzac I never looked at it like that and tbat is totally an interesting way at looking at it. Im still hoping ghost will have the next few at 58-70 at least and I dont feel the other 4 I could draft would have that impact consistently ever or any draftee I draft could replicate that. I do appreciate reckate the interesting insight though, will definitely use this way of thinking in the long term.

@The Comish thank you for your reply as well! Im bullish that he will replicate that ever again, Wheelers contracts up next year and I doubt even Chevy will be able to meet his demands, I really think he walks unless he accepts 5-6 M. Which isnt gonna happen.

All in all really appreciate everyones great insight this is what i was looking for. I think Im going to proceed, positional need is more important than being able to draft a dman that breaks out, ive been good at breakout fwds but defense my track record has been a joke (see OEL). Thank you again!

Dobber Sports Padawan

For what it's worth I traded Nylander for Ghost this offseason in my pts only keeper, which as a Leafs fan was tough to do even before considering his upside, but it was worth it because 65pt dmen who are only 25 years old are very very scarce and bolstering my defense with a long term keeper like that was too hard to pass up. I'm not worried about Ghost losing his PP QB deployment because he's proved to be an offensive force since he stepped into the league and still has room to get even better. Provorov will handle the more defensive workload and Ghost will be put into position to score. Plus Philly has gotten deeper at forward and the addition of JVR makes their PP even better.

Wheeler may never be a 90pt guy again and is an aging asset. If he was in his early to mid 20s and was putting up 90pts then keeping him would be a no brainer but I wouldn't blame you for turning him into Ghost while you have the chance.
    10 Team Fantrax Weekly H2H
    19-Man Roster, 8 Keepers, 12 Minors (<150 NHL Games Kept Free)
    Pos: 3xC / 3xLW / 3xRW / 3xD / 3xG / 1xUtil / 3xBench / 5xIR
    Scoring: (G=1) (A=1) (W=2) (SO=1) (SV=0.05)

2020-21 League Champion 🏆

Re-tooling Season. Keepers moving forward:

C: N.MacKinnon, E.Pettersson, T.Zegras
    LW: A.DeBrincat, A.Svechnikov
    RW: W.Nylander
    D: C.Makar, R.Dahlin

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner