Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 36 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 LastLast

Thread: NHL Mock Draft - discussion

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: NHL Mock Draft - discussion

Back from my trip into Algonquin.

Like the look of my team. My thinking on strategy that you guys were asking about is based on trying to be as close to the top in the counting categories. That meant at minimum 2.5 starters, Allen is my sneaky win total for a late goalie. The Rangers may finish 10th but Hank should still come close to 30 wins, and Kinkaid has the upside for 30 as well. Hank and Kinkaid should rack up saves too.
    For defence, I wanted to stack up there, so I only had to roster 6 to win blocks. All of my guys score and provide great Blk totals, so not a lot of offence lost there, and then after that I mixed some pp forwards with hits forward, and feel like I stack up well across the offensive stats too. Having to only use 1 Util slot each for D and G meant an extra forward above what some other guys may be running with too, so that should help. We'll see if it's better than just a theory...
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Back from my trip into Algonquin.

Like the look of my team. My thinking on strategy that you guys were asking about is based on trying to be as close to the top in the counting categories. That meant at minimum 2.5 starters, Allen is my sneaky win total for a late goalie. The Rangers may finish 10th but Hank should still come close to 30 wins, and Kinkaid has the upside for 30 as well. Hank and Kinkaid should rack up saves too.
    For defence, I wanted to stack up there, so I only had to roster 6 to win blocks. All of my guys score and provide great Blk totals, so not a lot of offence lost there, and then after that I mixed some pp forwards with hits forward, and feel like I stack up well across the offensive stats too. Having to only use 1 Util slot each for D and G meant an extra forward above what some other guys may be running with too, so that should help. We'll see if it's better than just a theory...
    Makes sense. So the strategy was based on winning the league. That makes a lot of sense. When I was asking the question, I was wondering why you were drafting a 'bench' Defensemen before filling out your starting forwards. So I guess the main difference is the perspective of those utility spots and how they are treated. I was treating them as if it was a 'bench' to make it more like a mock, where as some were treating it as a 'utility'. And I guess your strategy makes a lot of sense for a league where Max GP isn't an issue. So there is a lot of uncertainty and differing perspectives that can be pertained from this exercise.

Questions for next year:

1) Do we just treat it like a mock draft and forget about putting it in a league and making it a competition as well? Would people still participate if it was just a Mock and didn't get put into a website?

2) In relation to question #1 - I think the competitive side comes out of us all, cause we all want to win. Do you think this effected any of your picks along the way? Be honest? I know it effected my picks later in the draft. I went with more certainty rather then upside.

Dobber Sports Titan

I think I try and find the ideal setup for the league settings, and that's exactly how I would have drafted even if it was an actual league with a bench too.

I also generally end up drafting D earlier than the average participant anyways, so it fits.

Counting it or not I don't think it affected my picks at all.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Standings update February 20

1. Zorro - 112
    2. StuntMan12 - 111
    3. pmorrow - 96
    4. PenguinHunter - 95.5
    5. Pengwin's Penguins - 94
    6. finny - 92
    7. The Comish - 90
    8. hockeypoolfanatic - 87.5
    8. EskimoBrother - 87.5
    10. SensArmy93 Melnyk's - 85
    11. GinFizz - 73
    12. DusterDave Hockey Club - 68.5

Dobber Sports Titan

100% forgot about this.

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    100% forgot about this.
    So did I but it inspired me to do the same for the upcoming baseball season. For anyone interested, see full details here: https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...40#post1963440
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Final Standings (I apologize this wasn't released sooner)

1. Zorro - 129.5
    2. StuntMan12 - 104
    3. Pengwin7 - 99.5
    4/5. The Comish - 93.5
    4/5. SensArmy93 - 93.5
    6. pmorrow - 91.5
    7. finny - 90
    8. PenguinHunter - 87.5
    9. Eskimo Brother - 83.5
    10. hockeypoolfanatic - 77
    11. GinFizz - 72.5
    12. DusterDave - 70
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

Again forgot about this haha.
    Was a very useful tool as a mock draft

Big Daddy

Took me a few minutes to remember what this was. Can’t remember what team I drafted but it obviously wasn’t very good. I blame roto, not my thing.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    Took me a few minutes to remember what this was. Can’t remember what team I drafted but it obviously wasn’t very good. I blame roto, not my thing.
    Hahah, same. I learned that pure rotisserie is quite different than h2h multicat. Oh well. I'm learning!

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

I don't even remember this??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I don't even remember this??
    That’s not a usual response from someone who wins! Haha.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I mean "Thank you to everyone who voted for me, I would especially like to thank Eskimo Brother for sending me a PM congratulating me for this impressive victory"..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Titan

I mean "Thank you to everyone who voted for me, I would especially like to thank Eskimo Brother for sending me a PM congratulating me for this impressive victory"..
    I did that?

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Haha... thats better!! But what I was meaning was your response of 'I' don't even remember this' is usually from someone that is on the bottom end of the pile... not the one being crowned victory.

Usually the response of the Champion is ' Oh yeah, this, this was awesome, I did awesome!'