Page 1 of 47 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: NHL Mock Draft - discussion

Dobber Sports Monster

Default NHL Mock Draft - discussion

Drafting is now underway. Click here for the draft thread

Our Fantrax league is viewable to the public. You can see your rosters and draft results as they're updated.
    https://www.fantrax.com/fantasy/leag...xjk16fksq/home

If you want to be actually added to the league PM me your email and I'll add you to your team.

Old messages:

Who wants to take part in a mock draft on here while it's the quietest point in the summer? Unlike so many Yahoo mock drafts, we know this forum has dedicated people who are willing to take part in a practice run from start to finish.

The number of teams depends on interest.

Settings subject to change, but here's a rough plan:

24 rounds. We will try to keep people picking at a reasonable pace.

Mock draft settings: One Year League Rotisserie
    G, A, Pts, PPP, +/-, PIM, Hits, Blocked Shots, SOG, and W, Sv, Sv%, GAA, SHO

Positions

1. F
    2. F
    3. F
    4. F
    5. F
    6. F
    7. F
    8. F
    9. F
    10. F
    11. F
    12. F

1. D
    2. D
    3. D
    4. D
    5. D

1. G
    2. G

1. UTIL - Any position
    2. UTIL - Any position
    3. UTIL - Any position
    4. UTIL - Any position
    5. UTIL - Any position

PenguinHunter will be helping me conduct the draft. We will upload the results onto a website so we can check to see who drafted the best at the end of the season - just to have a little bit of bragging rights to motivate us!

Signed up:
    pmorrow
    PenguinHunter
    Eskimo Brother
    StuntMan12
    Zorro
    finnys_fantasy
    Pengwin7
    DusterDave
    SensArmy93
    The Comish
    hockeypoolfanatic
    GinFizz
    Last edited by pmorrow; August 2, 2018 at 12:07 PM.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: NHL Mock Draft - discussion

Count me in!!

Dobber Sports Titan

Sure I'll bite.

One thing though, is that H2H is a completely different beast if we're managing these teams or not. If it's a mock at this point, then you're better off doing either straight points or ROTO.

Second format point, is what happens with the bench guys. Do they do nothing all season, or do their stats count. There isn't an in between if you're loading guys in at the beginning of the season without ability to change them.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Sure I'll bite.

One thing though, is that H2H is a completely different beast if we're managing these teams or not. If it's a mock at this point, then you're better off doing either straight points or ROTO.

Second format point, is what happens with the bench guys. Do they do nothing all season, or do their stats count. There isn't an in between if you're loading guys in at the beginning of the season without ability to change them.
    Good points, I didn't think about the bench part. Let me look at this again.

edit - okay, Rotisserie makes more sense.

As far as the bench goes...we can either cut it out, or put the bench players into slots that count for points anyways. People are obviously going to want to draft 3 or even 4 goalies, and it's hard to simulate that because of scheduling conflicts. It's not going to be a perfect situation and I can see arguments for both.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Sure I'll bite.

I think the reason behind tracking the stats is similar to what NFL analysts have created in 'best-ball' drafts. These allow for sites like fantasy pros to rank pre-season rankings. It takes out the in-season management part to show who had the best pre-season rankings. I know it is not a perfect system cause someone might draft all goalies for their bench, or draft all centers to try and win a FOW category...

We just need to remember that the main point is to get a good group of drafters that are willing to complete the mock draft to the bitter end, rather than half the guys dropping out after the 8th round like often happens in Yahoo mock drafts.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    Good points, I didn't think about the bench part. Let me look at this again.
    I would recommend 4 of each forward position, with 6 D and 2G.

However, that raises another problem. Positional eligibility. Where can you slot Drouin in this year? How about someone like Foligno? They both had all three positions last year. Might be easiest to just run with 12 forwards. Forget position. Easy to convert to as well since you don't have FOWs as a category.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I think the reason behind tracking the stats is similar to what NFL analysts have created in 'best-ball' drafts. These allow for sites like fantasy pros to rank pre-season rankings. It takes out the in-season management part to show who had the best pre-season rankings. I know it is not a perfect system cause someone might draft all goalies for their bench, or draft all centers to try and win a FOW category...

We just need to remember that the main point is to get a good group of drafters that are willing to complete the mock draft to the bitter end, rather than half the guys dropping out after the 8th round like often happens in Yahoo mock drafts.
    I have no problem with tracking the stats, I like the idea. My issue is that the way it's set up is ambiguous, and you will have people with different ideas of what the point is. If people are drafting with different league ideas in their head, it defeats most of the purpose.

Dobber Sports Monster

I have no problem with tracking the stats, I like the idea. My issue is that the way it's set up is ambiguous, and you will have people with different ideas of what the point is. If people are drafting with different league ideas in their head, it defeats most of the purpose.
    either I make them all F or I set the eligibility to what Fantrax goes by. I'm leaning towards just going with F.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO

LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Monster

Updated the positions to flatten it out a bit. Let me know. This is good to iron out the details. 12 F, 5D, 2G, 1 "UTIL" (really a bench spot, but will count for points on the website).

update

now going with 11 F, 5 D, 2 G, 2 UTIL (any position)

LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Initiate

I’d like to join.

Can we switch SHP to FOW? Isn’t FOW a lot more popular.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    I’d like to join.

Can we switch SHP to FOW? Isn’t FOW a lot more popular.
    I think I'm going to ditch SHP for sure especially since I've changed it to rotisserie. I also think it's more of a wildcard category than something people draft for. FOW is something to think about.

LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Monster

Of course I'm in!

You know I'm IN!! Boom!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Can we set a time limit on picks though?? I know we have over two months but the waiting 24 hours for one pick is excruciating!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Icon

I'm in baby!
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt