Thread: LG7 vs iPhone

Dobber Sports Titan

Default LG7 vs iPhone

This was the most recent phone discussion thread I could dig up, and it's decently close to what I'm looking into now.
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...ne-Who-has-one

Looking into a new group plan, and it comes with a free phone upgrade to an iPhone6 or an LG7. I'm not a big tech guy, so I can't say I know much about what the differences are. I have had an iPhone for the last 7+ years, have a MacBook, but I'm not against switching if it makes sense.
    The iPhone offered is a 32GB, with the LG being a 64GB. Storage space is a big thing for me, as I'm pressing up against my 32GB max on my current phone and limiting myself in the process. iPhone6 doesn't come in a 64GB option that they offer, so I would have to go to the 124GB iPhone7, costing ~$180 up front.

Other than cost and storage, what should I know, and what are the pros/cons of each?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: LG7 vs iPhone

Is it an LG G7? Vs the iPhone 6? The LG G7 is a fairly recent release. The iPhone 6 is like a 2014 release.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Monster

I would look at the RAM capacity of the phones. You can get by with 2 but 3 or up is ideal.

Also keep in mind that if you are big on the Apple products you won't be able to synchronize the devices as much on an Android (aka your LG), at least in terms of iCloud or iTunes or what have you. I am split between Mac and Android products and it isn't a problem as both are pretty cutting edge, but just something to note. Also as Rylant says the 6 is already quite old for an iPhone so it could become obsolete. As phones fall behind they become slow or unusable in some instances.

If you mean the LG G7 here is a comparison with the iPhone 6

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php...&idPhone2=9115

Just to clarify, is it the 6 and not the 6S? The 6S is better but still not as good as the LG G7.

If those are the right models, the LG G7 is 3+ years newer. The more I look at that page the more it looks like the LG is the better option of the two.

Also note that the LG can upgrade the storage space, whereas the iPhone 6 cannot upgrade at all

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Deity

FWIW, I went with the LG G5. Love it.

I have never been an Apple guy, doubt I ever will be. I hate the fact they are so proprietary. They also don't offer the ability to expand anything where as the LG G5 has expansion ports and I assume the G7 does as well. Great camera as well, although I am sure both phones have that.

I would tell you the G7 without question but that's because of reasons I mentioned. As mentioned, it can be hard switching from Apple to Android, and you lose some things you are used to, but that's my recommendation.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

I was leaning towards switching to Android and really just looking to make sure there's no reasons not to. Big help guys, as that was exactly what I needed to know.
    Thanks!
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I was leaning towards switching to Android and really just looking to make sure there's no reasons not to. Big help guys, as that was exactly what I needed to know.
    Thanks!
    +1 for Android. I've been running higher-end "budget" (mid-range you might say?) Android phones for the last 7 years (2 phones), and have very few complaints so far. If you're at all open to saving some coin and looking outside of the 2 options you listed, give this a read: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/be...android-phone/

I believe the LG is $700+, and the Moto G5+ should only be about $250. I know you are getting some kind of "free" upgrade, but we all know there is no such thing as free. Buy the thing outright and get a cheaper plan. If storage is your concern, you can add an external 128gb card and laugh all the way to the bank. Just my 2 cents.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    +1 for Android. I've been running higher-end "budget" (mid-range you might say?) Android phones for the last 7 years (2 phones), and have very few complaints so far. If you're at all open to saving some coin and looking outside of the 2 options you listed, give this a read: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/be...android-phone/

I believe the LG is $700+, and the Moto G5+ should only be about $250. I know you are getting some kind of "free" upgrade, but we all know there is no such thing as free. Buy the thing outright and get a cheaper plan. If storage is your concern, you can add an external 128gb card and laugh all the way to the bank. Just my 2 cents.
    Appreciate the thoughts. Actually going the other way around with it though. Found the cheapest plan, and it comes with these two options.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Appreciate the thoughts. Actually going the other way around with it though. Found the cheapest plan, and it comes with these two options.
    Out of curiosity, do you mind sharing some of the basic plan details? (provider, cost, #gb, etc) I'm always on the hunt for a better phone deal. No pressure, just curious.

Dobber Sports Titan

It's a family plan so there's 4 of us on it, and I'm not the one doing all the searching, so I don't have the details in front of me. Off the top of my head, I think it was Rogers, $50/month each, unlimited talk/text, ~6GB of data shared between the four, and the phone upgrades. Not sure about any other specifics.

Dobber Sports Legend

I'll tell you, I went from the Note to the Google Pixel 2XL and I absolutely LOVE IT!! Without question, it's the best phone I've ever had - so much better than the Samsung.
    It does't come loaded with all the Samsung bloatware, it fast as lightning, smooth as butter, and the fingerprint censor is in the perfect place.
    Everything about this phone is excellent, including the screen, and the best camera on the market.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    I'll tell you, I went from the Note to the Google Pixel 2XL and I absolutely LOVE IT!! Without question, it's the best phone I've ever had - so much better than the Samsung.
    It does't come loaded with all the Samsung bloatware, it fast as lightning, smooth as butter, and the fingerprint censor is in the perfect place.
    Everything about this phone is excellent, including the screen, and the best camera on the market.
    Hmm, I never really gave the Google phones much of a look because I always thought they were a little overpriced. You've tempted me to give them a look when it comes time to upgrade my phone again in a few months.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

I had an LG G3, went to a Galaxy S4(?) then instantly to a G4. The LG Gseries is an awesome series of phones. Not one complaint about my G4, except it's slowed down a bunch. Which is expected for an old phone (2015 I think I got it?)
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports All-Star

I'm an avid iPhone user and I think you made the right choice. The danger with older iphones like the 6, is that it's so old that it's in danger of no longer being supported by iOS updates, thus the apps will slowly stop working and there's no more updated security features. The 32GB memory with today's usage is barely enough to hold much photos, vids, music let alone iOS. They were pretty much trying to dump an unusable phone on you.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Hmm, I never really gave the Google phones much of a look because I always thought they were a little overpriced. You've tempted me to give them a look when it comes time to upgrade my phone again in a few months.
    I have been Android for many years - have had multiple LG's and Samsungs. I was about to get the new Note until I stumbled across reviews on the Pixel 2XL. After watching a bunch of reviews, and test driving the phone at Verizon, I made up my mind. The first thing I noticed after cloning my phone, as that I could uninstall many of the wasteful apps that I couldn't remove on my Samsung.

I use the Nova launcher and spent a couple of days tweaking the Pixel to my liking and it's incredible, lightning fast, and efficient. No lag, no nonsense, no useless apps that waste space and hinder performance.

5 stars / 5.