Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [Re-signed]Ryan Pulock - 2 year deal

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Ryan Pulock's New Salary

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Lou and the Isles are going to pay huge in 2yrs for this bridge deal 7yrs for 5 - 5.5m would look like an absolute steal in 3yrs time. Now they're going to be faced with 7m+ -- bookmark this
    I'd be more comfortable paying $7M/year to a guy who scored past 50 pts for two years in a row at 25 than hand him 7x5 at 23 just to see him become a 30 pt middle-pair guy. What you say makes sense but the risk of it becoming a really bad contract is way bigger and the fact that Josi panned out very well and his contract became a bargain is completely irrelevant here.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Rato View Post
    I'd be more comfortable paying $7M/year to a guy who scored past 50 pts for two years in a row at 25 than hand him 7x5 at 23 just to see him become a 30 pt middle-pair guy. What you say makes sense but the risk of it becoming a really bad contract is way bigger and the fact that Josi panned out very well and his contract became a bargain is completely irrelevant here.
    This says it better then what I said earlier but pretty much what I meant. +1 to you sir.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

Other than Pulock taking longer than expected to make the NHL... where's the indication he's going to bust? He already put up 32pts in 3/4 of a season. One really needs to wonder, did Pulock really need this long to make the NHL? Or was this more an Islanders hesitation to bring up youth - ensuring he was over-ready?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Master

Other than Pulock taking longer than expected to make the NHL... where's the indication he's going to bust? He already put up 32pts in 3/4 of a season. One really needs to wonder, did Pulock really need this long to make the NHL? Or was this more an Islanders hesitation to bring up youth - ensuring he was over-ready?
    He had a decent full rookie season, but make no mistake, there were many warts. He is far from perfect and I won't hold my breath for 20 goals and 50 pts. It is a cheap bridge deal as far as young D go, but I think it shows you just how far he still has to go, and what is still missing in his game for him to be considered a can't miss PP1 defenceman.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I believe you're not getting the point.
    The question is if it makes sense for the Isles right now to give him a 7x5 based on an extremely small sample size, risking being trapped with a potential bad contract for 7 years, to save $2M in cap space 2 years from now. Giving the franchise current situation that would be taking a huge risk for a limited potential reward and therefore a questionable management decision.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: [Re-signed]Ryan Pulock - 2 year deal

Offensively, I don' t have a doubt about him... But he must be better in his zone, he had some real trouble the last couple of years.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I believe you're not getting the point.
    The question is if it makes sense for the Isles right now to give him a 7x5 based on an extremely small sample size, risking being trapped with a potential bad contract for 7 years, to save $2M in cap space 2 years from now. Giving the franchise current situation that would be taking a huge risk for a limited potential reward and therefore a questionable management decision.
    so don't make it 7 years - make it 4... get some cheap good years out of him... it's my opinion that they should have locked him up 'longer' than 2 years. 4,5,6 whatever.. you don't have to agree with my opinion - that's fine. But I get the point, my opinion is that I disagree with the length. the next contract will bite them. PK had some warts too. he got 9m after his bridge.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Administrator

It takes two to sign a contract. I doubt Pulock would have signed for four years at mid-term. If he can't go long term now he'll go short term to get himself established in the NHL and cash out in the near future. If he has a big year he can sign his big long-term extension next summer.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Wizard

The good thing about 2 years is that Pulock is still RFA when it expires. If they gave him 4 years, he could have walked away as UFA at the age of 27.

I don't see Pulock being creative or smart enough to become a top pair defenseman, so this deal is completely reasonable. In two years, both sides have a clear understanding of what to expect from him going forward.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    The good thing about 2 years is that Pulock is still RFA when it expires. If they gave him 4 years, he could have walked away as UFA at the age of 27.

I don't see Pulock being creative or smart enough to become a top pair defenseman, so this deal is completely reasonable. In two years, both sides have a clear understanding of what to expect from him going forward.
    Those are very good points.

For my record, I do think he has the vision and offensive instincts to become that kind of defender, but he is lacking the physical tools to do it; that is, the agility, the speed, the skating, etc. I also question some of the positioning, so I guess I am with you there I little on the smarts needed for a top-pair defender. When I see him play, I see someone who wants to be in the right position or wants to catch up to the forwards, but can't...
    Blades of Steel

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Administrator

Teams get themselves into trouble more often than not when they give players too much term. Let Pulock prove himself over a full NHL season.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post

pretty much what JP says ; theres still a lot to be desired on his defensive side of things .

he's not a pp quarterback type of guy either ; sure he'll be the cannon like Ovey but thats about it . Someone else will be the dangler / q-back

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    pretty much what JP says ; theres still a lot to be desired on his defensive side of things .

he's not a pp quarterback type of guy either ; sure he'll be the cannon like Ovey but thats about it . Someone else will be the dangler / q-back
    I can't help but think of Sheldon Souray. He is Sheldon Souray... but a slightly more aggressive offensive player, despite having the same skating skills. Souray was nastier in his own end.. but as far as bomb from the point and not much more, it compares favourably to me. His offensive aggressiveness should get him a few more opportunities for assists than a prototypical static point-shooter like Souray was... So maybe he's more a poor-man's Al MacInnis.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin