Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: [Re-signed] Jusse Saros

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: [Re-signed] Jusse Saros

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    This could be unreal value id Rinne isnt extended when his deal expires next summer.

Surprised Saros didn't take a 1yr deal because of this.

Time will tell I suppose. Maybe they all know something we don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Interesting back and forth, thanks J-P and Axe. I hope "smaller" goalies (dammit, 6 foot tall people should not be called short! lol) can make some inroads back to NHL creases. I do know that when I look at my goalie prospects, I shy away from "smaller" goaltenders and when I see a "big" goalie with talent, I'm all over that.
    You'd have loved Billy Beane... can't miss prospect with his size. :P

I dunno man, all I care about is if he can stop the puck. He can be tall, short, fat, skinny, purple or green. He stops the puck, he's on my team. So far, Saros stops the puck and I haven't seen a body of evidence against it, so I am... Dammit I hope I'm right, but I think I am.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    So you think teams have had great small goalies available for them but they've just decided to use lesser goalies because they're bigger? That just doesn't sound believable to me. Yes, I could buy a few teams making that mistake. But all 30/31 teams in the league year after year? That just doesn't sound reasonable.

Even with smaller skaters, there were always some teams willing to give those small guys a chance. Why hasn't that happened with small goalies with so many teams in dire need of better goaltending?

I'm not trying to pick a fight, and I know it's a popular opinion to blame the teams. But that doesn't mean it's correct. It's an easy answer but doesn't really seem reasonable when properly thinking about it.
    Not exactly what i was saying. I'm saying that teams start looking for certain things, and they ignore other things. So they never draft the smaller goalies high, and the guys who are higher picks generally get more chances. So some teams will, but others don't, and it can depress the totals you see in data due to that. The data shows that there are some small goalies out there succeeding and getting starts, but when you start out as the lesser subset, and less draft capital invested in you, you have to exceed expectations, and beat out the guys in front of you. We saw with Cam Ward the value of simply being a starting goalie already. He's been brutal. Carolina kept playing him, and giving him contracts. They finally cut bait, and then Chicago decided to sign him to a multi-year deal - amazingly.

When you say the bolded, you are indicating that the data shows no small goalies, and it doesn't show that. It just shows that there are not that many of them.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Not exactly what i was saying. I'm saying that teams start looking for certain things, and they ignore other things. So they never draft the smaller goalies high, and the guys who are higher picks generally get more chances. So some teams will, but others don't, and it can depress the totals you see in data due to that. The data shows that there are some small goalies out there succeeding and getting starts, but when you start out as the lesser subset, and less draft capital invested in you, you have to exceed expectations, and beat out the guys in front of you. We saw with Cam Ward the value of simply being a starting goalie already. He's been brutal. Carolina kept playing him, and giving him contracts. They finally cut bait, and then Chicago decided to sign him to a multi-year deal - amazingly.

When you say the bolded, you are indicating that the data shows no small goalies, and it doesn't show that. It just shows that there are not that many of them.
    I'm not saying biases wouldn't play a part in all of this but thinking it's all because GMs and coaches in the NHL are idiots just doesn't seem reasonable at all. If there was a market deficiency, someone would have exploited it.

Between 2013 and 2017, a total of 92 times a goalie played 50 games or more. Out of those 92, three came from a small goalie (below 6-0). 3.26%. And the important thing to me is that none of those small goalies are able to keep their job for a long stretch of time - even when they become #1 goalies which is very rare, they lose that job very quickly. So the theory of them not getting their chances doesn't explain that part at all.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Between 2013 and 2017, a total of 92 times a goalie played 50 games or more. Out of those 92, three came from a small goalie (below 6-0). 3.26%. And the important thing to me is that none of those small goalies are able to keep their job for a long stretch of time - even when they become #1 goalies which is very rare, they lose that job very quickly. So the theory of them not getting their chances doesn't explain that part at all.
    Wow. +1 J-P
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Wow. +1 J-P
    Agree.

Hoping Saros is the outlier. He has looked great so far..
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck