Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Galchenyuk or Puljujarvi

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Galchenyuk or Puljujarvi

I'm curious to know what you guys think.

Two young players with high potential, both are struggling. I guess Pulju's upside is a bit higher, but his floor would be lower.

pts only format

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Galchenyuk or Puljujarvi

I might roll the dice on JP, if only for team situation. Though it really is a roll of the dice, so you have to be able to afford the move.. Galchenyuk has proven he is an NHL player. Puuljujarvi still has to prove that.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Galchenyuk :

I think Galchenyuk's problems into developing into the player we thought he would become are two-sided.

A) Attitude problem. Perhaps the "star" life in Montreal might have affected this and perhaps it's going to be different for him in the desert, but ultimately, I think he might need to become more professional and dedicated. Not sure to which extent this is true, just basically repeating the opinion I have come across in articles/twitter feed/etc, but at least it speaks.
    B) Montreal's development of players. Man do they have problems turning good prospects into great players. When was the last time this happened? Subban/Price are products of the 2000s. There is a very heavy "team" approach in Montreal that, I don't know, feels like it's preventing players from developing individually as solid point producers for their fantasy owners.

Ultimately, this guy has a new shot in Arizona. They will put him in a position to succeed, I'm sure. Not sure how long the leash will be, especially with the amount of interesting prospects in Arizona, but it's a fresh start and a new opportunity to see what he can do.

Puljujarvi

This guy went from a sure-fire mega star in the NHL to a possible flop in a very short period of time. I still believe this guy has all he needs to succeed. It's up to him, really. I think Edmonton will also give him a shot on good lines. As you said, his upside remains very high, but his floor is dangerously low.

Who would I pick for next season? Galchenyuk, no doubt. After that, I really don't know. I always try to win as soon as possible and not look 2-3 years in the future much, even in keeper leagues, so I would take Galchenyuk on my team before Puljujarvi (or happily trade my Puljujarvi for his Galchenyuk).

- Rob
    H2H - 16 teams - Auction (225 $ cap), cap up to 300$ after auction on any drafted player.
    Keep 3, +7$ each year. Keep 5 farm (cost 1$ to dress).[/I]

Points (1), Defense goals (2), Powerplay Points (0.5), GWG (0.5), ShG (0.5)

10 F 4 D 1 G 5 bench 10 farm

F: Kucherov (41$), Pettersson (15$), Marner (29$), Wheller (55$), Landeskog (18$), Horvat (15$), Meier (16$), Fiala (1$), Beauvillier (1$), Getzlaf (1$)
    D: Barrie (17$), Fox (1$), Girard (1$), Trouba (2$)
    G: Markstrom (6$)

Bench: Athanasiou, Granlund, Gostisbehere, Matheson, Garland

Farm: Boldy, Gurianov, Puljujarvi, Dach, Glass, Kaprizov, Patrick, Sanheim, Tomasino, Sorokin

Dobber Sports Initiate

Agree with Rob. I go Gally here, I think he has a great opportunity with a rising Arizona squad. They have openly said he will get a shot at centre and will certainly be PP1. FWIW I believe Pulj will be the player Dobber writes about in the lowdown feature of the guide for EDM.

The Magnificent One

Remember - Gally was right near point per game numbers a couple of seasons ago before he got hurt. He can - and has - shown he's the real deal. To him a ticket out of Montreal is like hitting the lottery and I could see him going nuts right away in Arizona - like 65-70+ point nuts.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Ok thank you guys! I'll try to go for him instead of Pupu.

Rob you should write some texts for this site

Puljujarvi for sure. Arizona is about to learn that Galchenyuk is probably the world's greatest pond hockey player. He excels at 3v3 when his creativity and instincts are allowed to shine. The dude has a dazzling skill set and can be entertaining as hell on the powerplay or in overtime. He has those abilities/instincts you can't teach and when the leash is off, he's a tremendous player. His release is epic and he can rip one-timers all day.

The reality though is he struggles immensely playing systems and being an all-around player at 5v5. I've watched him for years and it's just the kind of player he is. Could he hit 70? I guess...He would need to be surrounded by some really hard-working linemates who can dig out pucks, backcheck like hell and defer to his shot. Probably a 'best case scenario' for him, but in all likelihood he'll continue to be the same player he was in Montreal. Arizona might have a little more patience for his mistakes, so maybe a modest boost could happen. I'm sure he'll get more time at centre but it won't be long until even an average and responsible pivot looks better there.

People have grown impatient with Puljujarvi in such a short time. I haven't. He's still the guy who battled Laine for that #2 draft ranking. He's a big boy destined for Edmonton's top six and you can see the skill set there when he plays. The upside to me is just higher especially with Draisaitl and McDavid as his future centres

The Magnificent One

Quote Originally Posted by HabsBlood View Post
    Puljujarvi for sure. Arizona is about to learn that Galchenyuk is probably the world's greatest pond hockey player. He excels at 3v3 when his creativity and instincts are allowed to shine. The dude has a dazzling skill set and can be entertaining as hell on the powerplay or in overtime. He has those abilities/instincts you can't teach and when the leash is off, he's a tremendous player. His release is epic and he can rip one-timers all day.

The reality though is he struggles immensely playing systems and being an all-around player at 5v5. I've watched him for years and it's just the kind of player he is. Could he hit 70? I guess...He would need to be surrounded by some really hard-working linemates who can dig out pucks, backcheck like hell and defer to his shot. Probably a 'best case scenario' for him, but in all likelihood he'll continue to be the same player he was in Montreal. Arizona might have a little more patience for his mistakes, so maybe a modest boost could happen. I'm sure he'll get more time at centre but it won't be long until even an average and responsible pivot looks better there.

People have grown impatient with Puljujarvi in such a short time. I haven't. He's still the guy who battled Laine for that #2 draft ranking. He's a big boy destined for Edmonton's top six and you can see the skill set there when he plays. The upside to me is just higher especially with Draisaitl and McDavid as his future centres
    Okay, then explain the Galchenyuk of the first third of the 2016-17 season? He was dominant to an extent that seems to belie your analysis.
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Jedi

I'd take Chucky as well, but based on a more proven track record than a player still struggling to make it on an impactful level DTD. a former 30goal scorer. To date, neither has fully lived up to hype - period. Chucky has given us glimpses over parts of seasons, Pulj has given glimpses over parts of individual games.

a lot of players have had really really good 30 game stretches, when that stretch was almost 2 full seasons ago... one could wonder if it was all a mirage. Or perhaps it's part mirage and part - injury, then misuse by new coach until departure.

If Pulj can be had on the cheap - another prospect then nab him.

Chucky is the more sure bet to get 55+pt production this year - he's done it before - that's why.

Anyone that says Pulj is a better own for this upcoming season is using a crystal ball. He might have more upside, but so far, he hasn't proven to be a top 6 feature yet. Sam Bennett can relate.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Okay, then explain the Galchenyuk of the first third of the 2016-17 season? He was dominant to an extent that seems to belie your analysis.
    People often make a huge deal out of this. I know I did at the time. But we're talking about an 18-game stretch where he was shooting 20% and going point a game despite playing 15 minutes. He had an early season hot streak - not the first player this has happened to. He's a career .7 ppg player - not hard for him to deliver a bunch of points through 20 games. Also not hard for him to do the opposite. Hockey is an up-and-down sport

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I'd take Chucky as well, but based on a more proven track record than a player still struggling to make it on an impactful level DTD. a former 30goal scorer. To date, neither has fully lived up to hype - period. Chucky has given us glimpses over parts of seasons, Pulj has given glimpses over parts of individual games.

a lot of players have had really really good 30 game stretches, when that stretch was almost 2 full seasons ago... one could wonder if it was all a mirage. Or perhaps it's part mirage and part - injury, then misuse by new coach until departure.

If Pulj can be had on the cheap - another prospect then nab him.

Chucky is the more sure bet to get 55+pt production this year - he's done it before - that's why.

Anyone that says Pulj is a better own for this upcoming season is using a crystal ball. He might have more upside, but so far, he hasn't proven to be a top 6 feature yet. Sam Bennett can relate.
    This is basically where I'm at. Not looking purely at the upcoming season though. I'd also bank on Chucky for 55 but 70 is too much of a reach for me, whereas I could see Puljujarvi getting there some day.

Dobber Sports Jedi

This is basically where I'm at. Not looking purely at the upcoming season though. I'd also bank on Chucky for 55 but 70 is too much of a reach for me, whereas I could see Puljujarvi getting there some day.
    I can see Pulj becoming the better fantasy own, but becoming is the key word there. How long does that take? In the meantime, Take the safe 55pt with 70 upside.

Unless the player is named Crosby or McDavid - never bank on upside. bank on the floor with fingers crossed for more.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Here's an advanced stats side-by-side of their 2017-18 seasons:

chuck.jpg

Dobber Sports Ace

Puljujarvi side for me
    2015-16-17, 23 Champion
    12Team Roto Keeper (5keepers) Weekly lineups
    Player: G, A,+/-, PPG, PPA, SOG = 2pts
    Player: +/-, Blocked Shots = 1pt
    Goalie: GGP, GAA, SPct, W, SO = 1pt
    Lineup: 3C, 4W, 4D 2G, 6Farm/Prospect Players

C: C.McDavid, T.Thompson
    W: K.Kaprizov, ,
    D: A. Fox,
    G: I.Shesterkin,

Farm/Prospects free carry: C: M. Savoie W:
    D: L. Hutson G: D. Levi

The Magnificent One

People often make a huge deal out of this. I know I did at the time. But we're talking about an 18-game stretch where he was shooting 20% and going point a game despite playing 15 minutes. He had an early season hot streak - not the first player this has happened to. He's a career .7 ppg player - not hard for him to deliver a bunch of points through 20 games. Also not hard for him to do the opposite. Hockey is an up-and-down sport
    It was 23 points in 24 games, if you want to get technical. And let's not forget that before his full-fledged breakout Kucherov posted 65 points despite playing under 15 minutes a game and had a 15% shooting %. I'm not comparing the two, but I think that had he not been derailed by injury he'd have put up a great season and the subsequent mess might not have occurred.