Thread: 99 Year Wait for Peace Tower Flag (Canada)

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default 99 Year Wait for Peace Tower Flag (Canada)

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...cid=spartanntp

This is a sad, hilarious situation. Canadians (one per household) can request a flag that was flown on the Peace Tower at Parliament Hill. Unfortunately, they only fly one a day, but not on the weekends.

Okay, did someone not realize that when the population increases and things went online, that requests would have gone up. Why hasn't someone figured out how to fix this? Fly multiple flags per day or make a priority list for those who are willing to pay for it. Yes, I realize that this might piss off people who have no money, but oh well, they have no "right" to get stuff for free when there is a big demand for it. It's not like it's health care.

Maybe the current government can convene a committee that can deal with this. You know, spend a few hundred thousand dollars to come up with ideas on how to solve this really complex issue.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: 99 Year Wait for Peace Tower Flag (Canada)

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...cid=spartanntp

This is a sad, hilarious situation. Canadians (one per household) can request a flag that was flown on the Peace Tower at Parliament Hill. Unfortunately, they only fly one a day, but not on the weekends.

Okay, did someone not realize that when the population increases and things went online, that requests would have gone up. Why hasn't someone figured out how to fix this? Fly multiple flags per day or make a priority list for those who are willing to pay for it. Yes, I realize that this might piss off people who have no money, but oh well, they have no "right" to get stuff for free when there is a big demand for it. It's not like it's health care.

Maybe the current government can convene a committee that can deal with this. You know, spend a few hundred thousand dollars to come up with ideas on how to solve this really complex issue.
    There's 3 that are flown/day. 1 at each tower I'm pretty sure. The Peace Tower is the most popular for obvious reasons. We got one from the east tower I think years ago (pre-smartphone era). Now the history behind this flag program I do believe was once they switched to changing the flag daily they had a lot of extra flags obviously, and gave it to staff members, but once they all had flags, they were giving it out to staff members to give to friends/family and such. Someone came up with the idea to give it to all Canadians. So it does suck it took 99yrs, but it's a gift to us the flags, not a program running to create extra flags.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ninja

Something's got to give. They could shut down the program as no one has any money invested in this (except the taxpayers!) or tighten the criteria to special cases, a board decides (hey, the Senate doesn't always have stuff to do!) or a lottery or run a hockey pool where the top xx get flags, how very Canadian.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Titan

Something's got to give. They could shut down the program as no one has any money invested in this (except the taxpayers!) or tighten the criteria to special cases, a board decides (hey, the Senate doesn't always have stuff to do!) or a lottery or run a hockey pool where the top xx get flags, how very Canadian.
    You think hiring a board (in a gov't office) to decides to get flags will lower the amount spent on flags?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    You think hiring a board (in a gov't office) to decides to get flags will lower the amount spent on flags?
    No, tapping into a group of politicians that are already being paid, a.k.a. the Senate or some back benchers was where I was thinking. Definitely not spending more money. Less government is always better. The answer is never more government.

Dobber Sports Deity

I would rather have a flag that's been flown on one of the ships I have sailed on. I can request that at any time but I will wait until I am ready to retire and choose at that point. Thankfully I have that option.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

No, tapping into a group of politicians that are already being paid, a.k.a. the Senate or some back benchers was where I was thinking. Definitely not spending more money. Less government is always better. The answer is never more government.
    I think getting any gov't voting to decide who gets it would take even longer than a "wait in line" approach right now.

There's nothing new about the peace tower taking longer than the others. If you want it faster, ask for another building's flag (86yrs vs 99yrs, geez didn't think it would be 86yrs oh well)

It's def the fact you can quickly ask for a flag because it's online right now. Our family got one and it took like 5yrs?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I would rather have a flag that's been flown on one of the ships I have sailed on. I can request that at any time but I will wait until I am ready to retire and choose at that point. Thankfully I have that option.
    I had a flag flown from one of our Embassies abroad (one that had a special link to his spouse) for one of our members who was releasing and presented it at his DWD. It was a very nice moment where the spouse was recognized for her support.